Stocking up.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: Stocking up.

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:35 pm Who can remember the 70s, where bread and bog rolls suddenly disappeared off the shelves?
I can remember the 70s very well. I studied for my O levels by the light of a Tilley lamp, and when I started to buy my own groceries when I lived in a rented house as a student, I can still remember the horror when a jar of coffee went up by about 50% from one week to the next. When you're completely new to it - I was 19 years old, with no knowledge whatsoever of how to look after myself - those kinds of price rises can be quite discombobulating. I don't remember things disappearing, (ye gods, I'm sure I'd remember toilet roll disappearing :mrgreen: ) though I definitely remember the five of us pulling together our pennies (literally) to buy a half pint each when the leccy went off. Beer was still hand-pulled.

Oh, about Just In Time: I saw a documentary about the power plant in ... Hull? ... that runs on imported biomass now. If deliveries of the pellets dry up, it has a maximum of about six hours on hand to cope. After that, it shuts down :( The programme was actually about the socking great ships that transport the pellets across the Atlantic, so I don't know much more than that.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 pm Oh, about Just In Time: I saw a documentary about the power plant in ... Hull? ... that runs on imported biomass now. If deliveries of the pellets dry up, it has a maximum of about six hours on hand to cope. After that, it shuts down :( The programme was actually about the socking great ships that transport the pellets across the Atlantic, so I don't know much more than that.
6 HOURS!!! That's insane!. Must look out that documentary.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:06 pm I need to up the cleaning stuff, both for the house and for people. Made a start but for some reason my missus would rather buy 2 things five times rather than just go out and buy 10.
It's psychological. I do the same thing sometimes! :mrgreen:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Jenny, the documentary was on one of the minor freeview channels. If I find the details, I'll post again.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:38 pm
Arzosah wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 pm Oh, about Just In Time: I saw a documentary about the power plant in ... Hull? ... that runs on imported biomass now. If deliveries of the pellets dry up, it has a maximum of about six hours on hand to cope. After that, it shuts down :( The programme was actually about the socking great ships that transport the pellets across the Atlantic, so I don't know much more than that.
6 HOURS!!! That's insane!. Must look out that documentary.
Wouldn't worrry about it , the factories and superrmarkets that use the power don't keep huge stocks so the power would just go to waste... :D :roll:
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

I think the thing to keep an eye out is the numbers of lorries heading towards your city that has superstores since they restock every night
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Which reminds me does anyone KNOW any lorry drivers? They are the canaries in the coalmine in terms of transporting ANYTHING
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:03 pm Wouldn't worrry about it , the factories and superrmarkets that use the power don't keep huge stocks so the power would just go to waste... :D :roll:
Exactly. Our supply chain is pretty fantastic and it's a wonder that we don't get more and bigger crises than the odd lettuce or lager shortage. If you ever watch a documentary about the production of something simple like bread or canned soup, then the whole world is kind of a component of the process, with ingredients and containers and energy and electronic control systems and transport logistics all synchronised to get products on shelves ( or even home delivered within a time-slot). So many things could go oh so wrong. Take out a uk port of entry or even a foreign supplier's export port, or a power station for a week and the whole country could fall apart.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:50 pm I thought you meant;
Stocking Up.jpg

Seriously though, what specific things did you identify?
Like it! :D

Specific items: OTC meds,cleaning materials,proper bar soap,2 stroke oil,tea ( I am a bit ott on tea),and animal feed.

Regarding Just-in Time: 3 days for food.Tops.I work in the food game.Toyota work on 4 hours!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:33 pm
grenfell wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:03 pm Wouldn't worrry about it , the factories and superrmarkets that use the power don't keep huge stocks so the power would just go to waste... :D :roll:
Exactly. Our supply chain is pretty fantastic and it's a wonder that we don't get more and bigger crises than the odd lettuce or lager shortage. If you ever watch a documentary about the production of something simple like bread or canned soup, then the whole world is kind of a component of the process, with ingredients and containers and energy and electronic control systems and transport logistics all synchronised to get products on shelves ( or even home delivered within a time-slot). So many things could go oh so wrong. Take out a uk port of entry or even a foreign supplier's export port, or a power station for a week and the whole country could fall apart.
Fantastic is probably the right word. I can remember watching the news when we had the horse meat scandle and it detailed how far meat was travelling all over Europe for different processing . A lot of Food miles for certain but it all seemed a bit fragile and not at all sensible for a country's food supply routes to be so long.