Stocking up.

How are you preparing
jansman

Stocking up.

Post by jansman »

So the whole B##### thing has had me rounding out our stores.We are where we want to be right now.The issue has focused our needs,and made us realise what we may be short of.It also made us realise that we let our preps slip in general,and that had any event occurred,we were woefully under prepped.Not by a lot - but enough! It won't happen again.Anyone else think that?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Re: Stocking up.

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I thought you meant;
Stocking Up.jpg
Stocking Up.jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
Seriously though, what specific things did you identify?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I need to up the cleaning stuff, both for the house and for people. Made a start but for some reason my missus would rather buy 2 things five times rather than just go out and buy 10.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:50 pm I thought you meant;
Stocking Up.jpg

Seriously though, what specific things did you identify?
:lol:

Took me a second.....
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

Deeps wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:06 pm I need to up the cleaning stuff, both for the house and for people. Made a start but for some reason my missus would rather buy 2 things five times rather than just go out and buy 10.
I do the same thing as buying 10 bag of rice or 10 jars of peanut butter points you out as odd but buying 2-3 at a time is more normal in a monthly shop. I also like it as it spreads the dates out a bit so you don't have 10 tins of beans all to be used at once because you didn't rotate properly.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I still can't get the OH to buy more than a 9-pack of toilet rolls at a time, and that barely lasts a week in this house! (I'm not counting the stash in the loft ;-) )Drives me mad when I get the text to pick some up on the way home cos we've run out :x
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:43 pmThe issue has focused our needs,and made us realise what we may be short of.It also made us realise that we let our preps slip in general,and that had any event occurred,we were woefully under prepped.Not by a lot - but enough! It won't happen again.Anyone else think that?
Yes, I think that! In fact, I'd just been about to run my stores down a little, because I'm determined to get the kitchen renovated next year, as I've decided to stay in this house. But I'm not running down my stores one inch.

I need to get more variety in my tinned goods. Even in my dried beans - got a bit complacent there. Flour is a bit of a nightmare. I still haven't practised enough with the kit that I do have, and I still don't have a generator, or a way to solar charge rechargeable batteries, though I do have a fair sized solar panel for my phone and kindle.

First aid kit is okay. So is lighting. Oh, bleach: I know there's a version of bleach I can buy that's fit for long term storage, but I only researched it halfway, and got lost in other things, so now I'm back to square one.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Prepping_Al wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:14 pm
Deeps wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:06 pm I need to up the cleaning stuff, both for the house and for people. Made a start but for some reason my missus would rather buy 2 things five times rather than just go out and buy 10.
I do the same thing as buying 10 bag of rice or 10 jars of peanut butter points you out as odd but buying 2-3 at a time is more normal in a monthly shop. I also like it as it spreads the dates out a bit so you don't have 10 tins of beans all to be used at once because you didn't rotate properly.
I was sort of exaggerating for affect but there are some things that don't look weird if you bulk buy and also times when you don't care because its a bargain or you're not at your usual shops. She's just reticent about it but ends up rolling her eyes when I do. She can also roll the eyes when I buy stuff for the 'zombie stores' piecemeal so I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't really. :lol:
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

We always keep an eye on other peoples' trolleys.

never yet seen any we thought might have been prepping.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

I rather hope that the sort of eventualities we stockpile for won't happen, but think about how things might unfold.... Two alternatives...
The likes of Brexit could see prices sneak up sharply for imported essentials, but such inflation doesn't cripple me immediately.
I give some thought to the whole supply chain issue. Is it reality that the supermarkets only have about 8 days stock? Somehow, I can't envisage ALL the shelves empty in EVERY grocers from the corner shop up to Tesco Superstores, in just two weeks no matter what SHTF. OK. Well maybe TEOTWAWKI might cause that, but I anticipate a few hours notice.

So, this week, rather than going out and topping up my stocks, I'm going to concentrate on a sort of crash list. Sort of plan out my one last shopping trip before Armageddon.

I do anticipate some pernicious and unexpected shortages before then. Who can remember the 70s, where bread and bog rolls suddenly disappeared off the shelves? With so much Just in Time processes and industrial food production, I fear a simple power outage or series of blackouts will uncover our supply chain complacency. Didn't we nearly have this with beer shortages just a few months back because a few CO2 factories closed simultaneously. And a lettuce crisis! Who'd have expected that? Total bolt from the blue.

Whatever next? blueberries, pineapples and mange tout off the shelves at zero notice because a boat sinks?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong