Prepping for long drive with toddler

Logistics and Transport
Bijela

Re: Prepping for long drive with toddler

Post by Bijela »

A car driving on main roads is less likely to breakdown as your not pulling away, gearing up, breaking and gearing down. Returned from a 1,200 mile each way trip across Europe last week. UK, FR, B, NL, D, A, SOL, H, and HR ( Number plate codes of countrys). DVD player does the job. You may find adjusting your travel hours worth extra boat crossing fee if you can travel during sleeping time. Have breakdown cover with Ford, car insurance, bank. Not sure if motorbike was cover for me or just the bike.
DoktorMeot

Post by DoktorMeot »

Hello all,

I'm back from my trip. Thank you all for your suggestions, they really did help.

What will I do differently next time? I'll take the spare car key. The door locked (don't know exactly how, on his dad's watch) with the key and 2 year old inside!

We needed to get my son out quickly so we had to smash the window to get in.

I wanted to update my post in case anyone else may find themselves in this situation.

I also got a good breakdown cover policy, which would recover me and the car from anywhere in the country and take us home for £12 a month. It definitely gave me peace of mind and made the long drive with a toddler a little less worrying.

I'm very grateful that you all took the time to give me advice before I left. Thank you!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good to hear from you! Sorry to hear about the car window :( but very pleased for you that it went so well otherwise.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Good point about keys. After an 11 hour shift, which started at 4 am a Saturday or two back, I was looking forward to a shower and a beer or four. Wife’s phone rang: Brother in law out on motorbikes rally, locked his key and phone in rear pannier. I won’t repeat my words. We had to take the spare key up to the bl@@dy Peak District in the dark!

Anyhow, glad the toddler was ok.I would have done the same as you.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

Fords keyless cars won't lock if the key is in the car or the engine is running. It's nice, but the off set is in the winter. You can't start the car and lock with 2nd set of keys to warm up.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Bijela wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:21 pm Fords keyless cars won't lock if the key is in the car or the engine is running. It's nice, but the off set is in the winter. You can't start the car and lock with 2nd set of keys to warm up.
And the scores can unlock and start the car with a laptop and antenna

Remember my dad going to the key cutters and getting a blank key cut to his car key but not program the immobiliser chip... And cable tied it under the bonnet where you could reach from below.. If you locked the keys in the car you could get in BUT couldn't start the car
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine