How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
korolev

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by korolev »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:16 pm It seems that most modern razor blades for sale in the UK are manufactured in Europe, predominately from factories in Germany.

Better find myself an old fashioned safety razor or cut throat and strop then as Mrs A is definitely not into full beards.

Or maybe waxing? It can't be that hard can it? ;) :lol: :shock:
I started using a double edge safety razor a couple of years back. I reckon I get a better shave and less burn.
I picked up 100 blades and two bars of Arko shaving soap a while back for not much money.
I'm set to be shaving for years.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have always used a straight razor and strop. It’ll last ‘tilI die. I am aware of the EU link with disposable razors ( Poland is a big player too) and Mrs J uses them, so we have been stocking those.

Today, I picked up more teabags. Also, I snagged more 10 litre buckets , with lids, from work. I shall start filling them with bird seed. I keep foreign finches and cockatiels, and all their feed is imported. I always remember my grandad telling me the job he had maintaining his show strain of goldfinches and canaries during WW2 with rationing and such. The fowls will be fine as I hold a 3 month supply, and it can be eked out with a home made mash ( sparingly).The same applies to the rabbits, although I don’t like to feed them too much mash, as it adds fat to them, and I am able to pass them off as wildies when I have to! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

The car needed an AdBlue top up today & I wondered where AdBlue is manufactured? Quick glance points towards Germany as the creators/license owners or similar but not sure where it's actually made. I'm getting about 6k miles out of a fill-up which on my average mileage means I'll be within a couple of months or so of needing a top-up around Brexit time so won't hurt to keep an extra 10l in the garage at least...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Please may I ask what AdBlue is?

Robert Frost.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

It's an additive that "modern" diesels MUST use (including trucks). Something to do with keeping down emissions, basically gets squirted into the exhaust or something I think. If a car that uses it runs out, then by law the engine must cut out until topped up again. I believe it's essentially the equivalent of synthetic urine!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Learnt something there! Thanks.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:04 pm
Stonecarver wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:38 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:52 pm

I also had a trundle around Home Bargains and B & M today. If I wasn't going away in two weeks I would have done a bit of a supermarket sweep. As it stands, we'll have much better idea of the potential urgency of the situation once the MPs vote next week. If the deal is not accepted I will take a couple hundred from my spends and plough them into some preps pronto.
Will you also be purchasing mylar bags etc too?
I have a lot of mylar bags but I do need some oxy absorbers. I used to to a bulk buy from the US for members, but last time I approached the guy who sells them, he told me the postage from the US had gone up to crazy prices. However - I am going over to the States later this month so I may pick some up and bring them back, so if anyone's interested...
Any idea if the ones from the states are 5 or 7mil? I used to get the 7mil from LDS but they stopped selling. Now buy 5mil from fresherpack. Which reminds me. Lidl will be selling vacuum sealing rolls on 16 december
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

peejay wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:05 pm The car needed an AdBlue top up today & I wondered where AdBlue is manufactured? Quick glance points towards Germany as the creators/license owners or similar but not sure where it's actually made. I'm getting about 6k miles out of a fill-up which on my average mileage means I'll be within a couple of months or so of needing a top-up around Brexit time so won't hurt to keep an extra 10l in the garage at least...
Yet another prep I hadn't thought of. :oops:

You are right about the car computer system cutting out, the sales rep told us that our Skoda would go into "limp" mode (approx 30 mph max) until the AdBlue tank was re filled.

Does anyone else reckon its preppers keeping the economy going at the moment? :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:53 pm It's an additive that "modern" diesels MUST use (including trucks). Something to do with keeping down emissions, basically gets squirted into the exhaust or something I think. If a car that uses it runs out, then by law the engine must cut out until topped up again. I believe it's essentially the equivalent of synthetic urine!
We have a diesel and was under the impression that it was the Bluemotion/newer ones that need it, ours is a 64 plate and as far as we're aware we don't need AdBlue. Be curious if anyone knows differently ??????
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mrs J and me have been discussing keeping cash on hand at the time.We keep readies in anyway,but we reckon we may need a month's worth of cash about.

Robert Frost.

Me.