How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nooooooooooo not home bargains. I always fill a basket in there and forget what I went in for :/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:42 pm Nooooooooooo not home bargains. I always fill a basket in there and forget what I went in for :/
I was only going to HobbyCraft to collect a wool order; came home with a load of stuff from B&M/Home Bargains along with two dresses, a jumper and a blouse from Dorothy Perkins - damn these retail parks! :lol:
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:52 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:11 pm PG for me too!

Talking to our Managing Director today about 'B'. :lol: I asked point blank what his views were.Succinctly,he said: " It's a f##### slow motion car crash.My financial man is moving most of my investments out of UK stocks. "
He also confirmed that there may be redundancies in the Spring,depending on the situation.All the more reason to keep prepping.

P.S. Picked up 6x passata at Home Bargains - 3 for a quid.And some more paraffin from the fuel merchant too.That'll be for the greenhouse in the Spring.
I also had a trundle around Home Bargains and B & M today. If I wasn't going away in two weeks I would have done a bit of a supermarket sweep. As it stands, we'll have much better idea of the potential urgency of the situation once the MPs vote next week. If the deal is not accepted I will take a couple hundred from my spends and plough them into some preps pronto.
Will you also be purchasing mylar bags etc too?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

jansman wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:13 am Interesting interview on BBC R4 just now.Tony Walker,Head Honcho at Toyota UK was talking about a No Deal.If it happens The Derby plant will likely close.He said that most of their parts are brought in 100% through the Channel Tunnel.They work on- get this- a 4 HOUR just in time system.And all the parts are brought in,IN SEQUENCE!

Asked if they could stockpile,the answer was for 1 day's production only.

That is just one business,and a large employer too.What is more,we get a lot of Toyota workers in to our restaurant coming off the night shift; talk about a knock on effect!

Anyhow,fishing today.As I am over near Melton,I am calling in on a rabbit breeding mate to pick up a new Buck,and introduce fresh blood into my own strain. Looking towards rabbit meat sales next Winter.

Wasnt it the Japanese car makers who began this Just In Time business and now EVERYONE does it.
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:16 pm
Deeps - do you have a B&M or a Home Bargains - fantastic places!!!
Aye, I'm a big fan of both, been known to dabble with the pound shops too. :oops:
Love The Range as well, now that IS a shop you can go in for one thing and come out with a dozen others. :lol:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Stonecarver wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:38 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:52 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:11 pm PG for me too!

Talking to our Managing Director today about 'B'. :lol: I asked point blank what his views were.Succinctly,he said: " It's a f##### slow motion car crash.My financial man is moving most of my investments out of UK stocks. "
He also confirmed that there may be redundancies in the Spring,depending on the situation.All the more reason to keep prepping.

P.S. Picked up 6x passata at Home Bargains - 3 for a quid.And some more paraffin from the fuel merchant too.That'll be for the greenhouse in the Spring.
I also had a trundle around Home Bargains and B & M today. If I wasn't going away in two weeks I would have done a bit of a supermarket sweep. As it stands, we'll have much better idea of the potential urgency of the situation once the MPs vote next week. If the deal is not accepted I will take a couple hundred from my spends and plough them into some preps pronto.
Will you also be purchasing mylar bags etc too?
I have a lot of mylar bags but I do need some oxy absorbers. I used to to a bulk buy from the US for members, but last time I approached the guy who sells them, he told me the postage from the US had gone up to crazy prices. However - I am going over to the States later this month so I may pick some up and bring them back, so if anyone's interested...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Just been shouting at the telly........ Why can't a bunch of supposed adults just do the job they've been asked to do?

Back OT
Just going to get some more cash in ATM, in the New Year we'll see what we can get cheap.
Other then that no real change of Plan, but 'Slow-Crash' is one of my prep Events
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
hobo

Post by hobo »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:04 pm However - I am going over to the States later this month so I may pick some up and bring them back, so if anyone's interested...
Oooh yes please!
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Well, My other half always has been onboard with the idea of prepping in a low key way but it's me that does the food storage and battery/candle storage obsession. However, the other evening after watching the news and despairing at the antics of those in charge, I said "I think we ought to start getting some extra bits in other than what I already keep in the garage" to which he said "yes, not a bad idea." He works for Renault selling cars and vans and already they have been having Brexit related issues. We know income will take a hit next year ( - the joys of a commission based job.)

I have also just ordered in a load of seeds for next spring and put on my Xmas list a heated indoor propagator. Thinking about growing a decent amount of the quickly perishable crops that we may have supply issues such as various lettuces. I have always grown a bit down the allotment but I have found an area in our garden to grow stuff so I can keep an eye on it better. One, keep it safe from from thieving little blighters who sometimes pick over the allotments and that may happen more next year, but two, I don't want to loose much of my crops to slugs etc. If the salad stuff is just outside my back door, I can look after it better. I will use the allotment mainly for spuds, other root crops and squashes/courgettes as well as the copious amounts of rhubarb that seem to get produced!

We have just had a conservatory built so I can also get a decent sized water butt now. As our property is in the middle of 2 others, we don't have any down pipes to collect rain water. The front downpipe is on one house and the rear is the other house leaving us in the middle with no pipes. Up till now I have had to rely on my small shed roof which is under the tree canopy so water collection is not that great! I am sure Brexit won't lead to water shortages but hey Brexit prepping just got me thinking about all areas of prepping.

So basically, Brexit prepping has brought hubby fully on board with prepping, it's made me re think security of growing my own and it's made me sort out water supply in the garden so I can grow my own with out worrying about drought. All good whether it all goes to hell in a hand cart or not.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

It seems that most modern razor blades for sale in the UK are manufactured in Europe, predominately from factories in Germany.

Better find myself an old fashioned safety razor or cut throat and strop then as Mrs A is definitely not into full beards.

Or maybe waxing? It can't be that hard can it? ;) :lol: :shock:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"