How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:19 pm My god. I need tea to function. I NEED MORE TEA!!! *panic attack* - maybe up to Costco in the morning then :mrgreen:
I'm working on Her Maj for a Costco trip, we need a few 'essentials' like the large bottles of tabasco... could do with some other stuff too but that's my priority. :D
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Morrisons cheapo 50p for 80 bags for me.

When everywhere's run out, they'll taste top end..... :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Stonecarver wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:26 pm I hope you have enough sugar and milk too ;)
Dont take sugar,and milk is very optional.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Being the swinging bohemian cat that I am I prefer coffee, tea is easy to store though and can keep for a long time. I do drink tea, I just prefer coffee but I don't drink that much of either, sometimes its just a 'cup of Joe' in the morning and that's it.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:11 pm PG for me too!

Talking to our Managing Director today about 'B'. :lol: I asked point blank what his views were.Succinctly,he said: " It's a f##### slow motion car crash.My financial man is moving most of my investments out of UK stocks. "
He also confirmed that there may be redundancies in the Spring,depending on the situation.All the more reason to keep prepping.

P.S. Picked up 6x passata at Home Bargains - 3 for a quid.And some more paraffin from the fuel merchant too.That'll be for the greenhouse in the Spring.
I also had a trundle around Home Bargains and B & M today. If I wasn't going away in two weeks I would have done a bit of a supermarket sweep. As it stands, we'll have much better idea of the potential urgency of the situation once the MPs vote next week. If the deal is not accepted I will take a couple hundred from my spends and plough them into some preps pronto.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Stonecarver wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:12 am It is an interesting idea.Even if the information is relatively local.For instance,I live near Loughborough,pseudonym lives in Melton,and I know we have other members in Leicestershire.How would you go about it though? Would you ring round and ask, " do you have any Thyroxin? "
I have phone numbers of chemists near me :D

Anyway has anyone thought about electricity supplies that we get via the Interconnecters from Europe. Especially if we get hit by another Beast from the East and have to draw power.
As per Jansmans orders
We are basically doing what we usually do concerning food supplies. Keep adding. My rice stash is a bit bigger than Itsybitsy 25kg :mrgreen:
Have a lot of spices sealed away since I dont know if stuff outside EU will also be affected much. Not one for. Olives except olive oil. How long after expiry is olive oil edible?Not sure who on here suggested it but keep 2k as reserve. Not sure why people think they should be hoarding Euros PMs etc. If we crash out of EU then we do.
:lol: I found another 5kg bag in the under stairs cupboard tonight!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:52 pm
I also had a trundle around Home Bargains and B & M today. If I wasn't going away in two weeks I would have done a bit of a supermarket sweep. As it stands, we'll have much better idea of the potential urgency of the situation once the MPs vote next week. If the deal is not accepted I will take a couple hundred from my spends and plough them into some preps pronto.
I'm planning on preempting it by doing that tomorrow. Probably take a hundred out the stash and top up on things I think I'm low on. Just trying to beat the rush if it all goes a bit peculiar with the vote on the 11th (I think). We've got plenty time to stockpile before we leave but I can't help but think it will get pricier nearer the time.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Interesting interview on BBC R4 just now.Tony Walker,Head Honcho at Toyota UK was talking about a No Deal.If it happens The Derby plant will likely close.He said that most of their parts are brought in 100% through the Channel Tunnel.They work on- get this- a 4 HOUR just in time system.And all the parts are brought in,IN SEQUENCE!

Asked if they could stockpile,the answer was for 1 day's production only.

That is just one business,and a large employer too.What is more,we get a lot of Toyota workers in to our restaurant coming off the night shift; talk about a knock on effect!

Anyhow,fishing today.As I am over near Melton,I am calling in on a rabbit breeding mate to pick up a new Buck,and introduce fresh blood into my own strain. Looking towards rabbit meat sales next Winter.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:13 am Tony Walker,Head Honcho at Toyota UK was talking about a No Deal.If it happens The Derby plant will likely close.He said that most of their parts are brought in 100% through the Channel Tunnel.They work on- get this- a 4 HOUR just in time system.And all the parts are brought in,IN SEQUENCE!

Asked if they could stockpile,the answer was for 1 day's production only.

Why close?

If they do I'm sure the Government could ask a Korean Car manufacturer to come instead. Good tax breaks off set by upping the tax on imported Toyotas.

Two can play at that game. Do a "Trump" on them. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:21 am
itsybitsy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:52 pm
I'm planning on preempting it by doing that tomorrow. Probably take a hundred out the stash and top up on things I think I'm low on. Just trying to beat the rush if it all goes a bit peculiar with the vote on the 11th (I think). We've got plenty time to stockpile before we leave but I can't help but think it will get pricier nearer the time.
Deeps - do you have a B&M or a Home Bargains - fantastic places!!!