How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
jansman

How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by jansman »

At 11 pm on 29 th March 2019 the UK leaves the European Union. There is much speculation about shortages of goods,disrupted supply chains,power brownouts,and even a shortage of water purification chemicals.

So in the true spirit of UK preppers,I am starting a dedicated thread for this topic.The whole issue could be something or nothing,( I hope it comes to nothing), but we have been warned,so we may as well do something positive I reckon.Even the government is contingency planning:

https://news.sky.com/story/operation-ye ... d-11491671

The rules of this thread are to give positive ideas,reminders of things we may have overlooked,or just a plain account of what you are doing.

Also,I don't care how you voted,that old chestnut has come and gone.Its gonna happen,So NO POLITICS! Any infringement will result in the offending post being deleted by myself or any of the mod team without warning.

So how are you preparing for potential Brexit problems?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by Arwen Thebard »

We are;

1) Working out what we use regularly that comes from Europe (Or through the EU) and could be in short supply or at risk of
inflated prices and buying ahead accordingly.

2) Trying to start the conversation with others in the hope they might think ahead and actually do something for themselves.

Point 1 is going well, point 2 is a work in progress. :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Good idea to keep ideas in the one place.

I've ordered a couple more of these in case of brown outs (or worse).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Work well with power banks. I've also ordered a couple of AA battery ones because, you know, I'm a prepper. :tinfoil Its all very well having torches up the yin yang but for day to day living something like this will be better, especially if you can hang it from your normal light.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

I'm taking a muti-strand approach! I have no idea what to expect at the moment so using the old adage of prepare for the worst... hope for the best. It has the POTENTIAL to perhaps be the biggest thing we need to prep for in recent times... POTENTIAL.

So, I'm very lucky in that my house is old and has space...
1. I've put up extra shelves in the 'pantry' and as well as throwing the odd extra tin in the trolly whenever I do a shop. I have also done a bulk home delivery of non-perishables... and filled the shelves up in no time!!! And I'm keeping an eye out for offers and buying accordingly as whatever the outcome I expect prices to rise. I think if it comes to a no deal that's when the panic will set in - and we will know if that's a possibility by only next month!! I don't think it would be long in that event before shelves started being emptied in the supermarkets (just my opinion!)so I'm trying to act sooner rather than wait and see.

2. I have just bought a Mogul Stainless Steel Gravity Water Filter via an independent seller on Amazon. I was discussing it on another Prepper site and seems I was late on the uptake and it had already been discovered over there - it's at a brilliant price for such a large filter. There is limited stock and the price rises according to how many they sell. But it looks good and has good reviews. Most of it's size are £100 upwards. This one was £35 plus filter candles (think it's up to £40 now but still a bargain price if you're in the market for one) So I can filter water domestically and even use water from our water butts if necessary (really hope it won't come to that but hey...!)

3. Gradually filling up the chest freezer - which I need to do from an economy pov anyway as it costs less to run when full! Freezing both bread and milk as they both freeze well are always needed and aren't too expensive!

4. Keeping some cash in the house.

That's about it at the moment!
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Good thread!

Food - predominantly items produced in the EU but also chicken, minced beef and quorn products.

Consumables - got a friend who works for Reckitts so getting as much cheap cleaning stuff laid in as I can.

Cash - keeping a healthy stash at home, gradually building up reserves in my local credit union.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We probably need to up our cleaning products and a few personal hygiene items too. We're due a trip to Costco soon anyway so I'll be looking to rectify deficiencies. Thanks for the reminder Itsy.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Has anyone thought about clothing?
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

And medication, of course. OTC and script.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:27 pm Has anyone thought about clothing?
How long do you anticipate shortages/price hikes ??? :shock:

Like most folk I know, I have plenty of clothes. As I tend towards the 'timeless' look of jeans and a T shirt or walking trousers and a T shirt when out with the dugs I should be OK. All at the cheap and cheerful end of the market too. Fortunately I don't have to worry about a stocking shortage and oxo-ing my legs. I'm also cool with last season's style. :lol:

On a more serious note, footwear might be an issue if you only have one pair of something like walking boots and you spring a leak.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:54 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:27 pm Has anyone thought about clothing?
How long do you anticipate shortages/price hikes ??? :shock:
Dunno! No bugger seems to have any clue so I'm just throwing ideas out there. :lol: