What about this?

Homes and Retreats
diamond lil

What about this?

Post by diamond lil »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-45046023

Off grid community living on a Scottish island.
Deeps

Re: What about this?

Post by Deeps »

Part of me thinks that would be fantastic. There does seem to be quite a few people in the article that are looking for 'something' though. It would be a non starter as long as I've got 'er indoors anyway.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It looks near enough to the mainland to do an escape if you felt stifled. I watched the tv thing about Fair Isle and thought I would go mad there - although I like living remote and my own company, being stuck on a wee island where everybody joins in on everything would smother me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Wouldn't get my wife anywhere near a boat she's seen Jaws too many times, plus I'd like to put some distance between me and the coast. :D
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Clarebelle

Post by Clarebelle »

I read this article the other day, it looks like a great place and i love the idea of them taking it upon themselves, via the guy who makes wind turbines, to set up their offgrid power, that guy is a real assest to the community.

I already live pretty remote (600 people on the island i live on) but, while i have kids, that would be too much for me. I believe it's important for them to have other kids to grow up with. Looks like a lovely place and i'm envious of their trees!
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Haven't watched it as i don't have a tv. but I know a little about it, once sold some chickens to them many years ago. It isn't strictly speaking an island , it's a peninsula and is accessable on foot but the journey is long and very difficult I believe, so not for the faint hearted.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Did anybody else spare a thought for the long gone folk who lived in all those ruined crofts? I wonder what their lives were like and if they were happy..
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:29 pm Did anybody else spare a thought for the long gone folk who lived in all those ruined crofts? I wonder what their lives were like and if they were happy..
I guess it was a tough life.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Plymtom wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:45 pm Wouldn't get my wife anywhere near a boat she's seen Jaws too many times, plus I'd like to put some distance between me and the coast. :D
Mrs Arwen doesn't do boats or planes so getting about is a bit tricky, unless its by road. :roll:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"