Axe head restoration

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Citizen H

Re: Axe head restoration

Post by Citizen H »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:24 pm Looks a decent size using the keys as a scale.
Whats the weight?
its 7 lbs, whilst cleaning its beginning to show makers marks, I'm building up to a big reveal....... :lol:
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:24 pm Looks a decent size using the keys as a scale.
Whats the weight?
Its a English manufacturer, pre 1951. woo Hoo.

Citizen "H"
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

a bit of an update, a couple of days of mild cleaning (no power tools or harsh chemicals involved)

Revels that its a Brades Co Axe head which pre dates it 1951 there are some areas of pitting but there's an area that looks like badly pitting however this is was left by the cast when the axe was made.

I think I've gone as far as I want to with it and due to its weight I wont be using it (to heavy for my pack)

so I guess I will be moving it on.
Attachments
IMG_0065.JPG

Citizen "H"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I can understand why 7LBs is a tad on the heavy side to lump around on a pack but it almost seems a shame not to put a handle and an edge on it even if it is a stay at home jobbie. Perhaps that's just me not wanting to see tools unused .
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

grenfell wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:59 pm I can understand why 7LBs is a tad on the heavy side to lump around on a pack but it almost seems a shame not to put a handle and an edge on it even if it is a stay at home jobbie. Perhaps that's just me not wanting to see tools unused .
Like yourself I'm a practical type of fella, who would rather a tool be used than have sat in a shed awaiting the day that I might need such an axe, this being said, Its already been claimed and the fine details are still being worked out, it will be re hung and re edged, so rest assured it will go to a good home and be used as nature intended.

all the best "H"

Citizen "H"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

At least the story has a happy ending . :D