48 hours and 2 first aid incidents got to love kids

Medical and Healthcare
Yorkshire Andy

48 hours and 2 first aid incidents got to love kids

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Pays to keep upto date and a decent kit

Someday the 7 yo decided to empty a cup of tea over her arm... Within seconds she was scooped up and under the kitchen sink lots of cold water and comfort followed by some burns gell and cling film .. nothing but a bit of reddening of the skin no blisters...

Then last night the 20 month old decided it would be the perfect time do develop croup...

Poor little man was fighting for breath lips had a slight blue tint so 112 called 25 mins for the ambulance to arrive perfect storm of bonfire night and local road closures due to rail engineering works ....

In that 25 mins we managed to cool him (was reading 39°c ) with 75% O2 saturation (highest reading we got) and a pulse rate of 188bpm and just about calm him he became very flushed hot body cold extremities

The controller talked us through the basics and I was finishing her sentences as both Me and Mrs Andy are both first aiders (she is a pediatric qualified jobbie) and I'm faaw 3day with luck my course had 6 teachers on so we covered child but I didn't officially do the pediatric bits of the exam

Having been asked if we had a aed near by which we don't (local supermarket was shut) got told to monitor and "prepare to have to breath for him if he stops" and call them back polite way of saying get ready to do cpr I went for the pocket mask was opened just in case

When they arrived paramedics initially didn't believe our readings and took their own and obviously used their own calibrated kit which matched our readings.... which made them unhappy with his condition On the way to hospital on blues he hit 39.5°c and his tiny heart was thumping at 225bpm!!

Mrs Andy left with one of my "day out bags"

Biggest drama was getting her and little man home home as she had no cash on her and at 3am for a 25 mile trip they wanted cash up front ..... She managed to get a firm to get her and I greeted the driver as he pulled up with the quoted £40!!! (I'd had a few cans of beer whilst watching fireworks so did not drive)

So need to get some cash stashed and not spend it except for emergencys .....

I had £40 combined on my car keys and house key bunches in those little key chain stashes which covered the bill.....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Re: 48 hours and 2 first aid incidents got to love kids

Post by Arzosah »

Andy! You poor things! So the baby's home now? And okay? You did really well, both of you.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:52 pm Andy! You poor things! So the baby's home now? And okay? You did really well, both of you.
Please keep us updated.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Makes it all worthwhile. :D Well done to you both.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Glad it worked out ok Andy. Kids worry you half to death...and it never stops. Sounds like you handled it well.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Scary stuff Andy, hope all is now calm at Schloss Andy.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Good job on your reactions Andy
I have a 2 year old and can relate somewhat to anxiety. Have to get a thermometer(thanks for reminder)
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well little man was getting no better (breathing much better,) but maintained a high fever which kept spiking to 39.5°c been to the gp today he has strep throat so a 10 day dose of antibiotics and iboprophen and more Calpol to take staggered the iboprophen has kept his temperature down better than Calpol...

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Stonecarver wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:48 pm Good job on your reactions Andy
I have a 2 year old and can relate somewhat to anxiety. Have to get a thermometer(thanks for reminder)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanitas-SFT-75 ... B01G4BHB3W

Side by side with the expensive NHS ambulance crews braun unit there was 0.2°c difference when we both measured him back to back
Got mine from Lidl about 2 years ago for a tenner

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

It must be so worrying :(

Good to know, by the way, that your thermometer is so accurate. Once your little man is back to health, may you never need it again!