What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arzosah: If a tent makes you comfortable go for it, all to more reason to cut weight elsewhere.
I like the shiny bubblewrap stuff, if I was going UL I'd give it a go.
I use a Thermarest Z-lite like this (although they also come in shiny too), 14oz for the regular or the small at 10oz ... Either one can be cut down to suit

ETA: Having just searched on Evilbay, I've found out they're currently over 40 quid..... Not a budget friendly option at this time.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Much appreciated, ForgeCorvus, thank you.

I was putting my Amazon vouchers aside for a hot composter, but I decided I wouldn't get the use out of it. So now I have a surprising amount of free dosh to spend on Amazon. I'll watch out for Thanksgiving ( :roll: ) and Christmas sales, and go for it then. And I'll set it up to be picked up and gone, just in case :) then take pix :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Deeps, so sorry, I didn't see this till just now.
Deeps wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:29 pm Arzosah, you can open up a mummy sleeping bag and use it as a quilt if that helps. As long as you've got your insulation underneath you'll be fine. I do it all the time unless its really cold. You can also get sleeping bags like this....

:lol: :lol: :lol: Fantastic! My current mummy sleeping bag won't open up at all, it has no zips - looking at that photo, I'm kind of okay with that :mrgreen:
There are a lot of options out there, you just need to figure out what works for you although as you say, its not likely to be an issue for you.
Exactly - I was almost torturing myself trying to think it through, and really, it just doesn't matter. I've gone with a cheapo pop up in the end, £30 delivery
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frostfire-Larg ... op+up+tent
I logged out of my Amazon account so that its not an affiliate link, btw.

I don't think I'd have bought it if I didn't have these blinking vouchers, but I do have them - a purchase thats about low probability/high impact is just right.

Thanks again all :mrgreen:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah

Book mark this link :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Or8THf5QY

The pop up tents have 2 main issue

Large pack size fine for car boot camping no good for walking with it

And single skin is prone to condensation..

If you can personally I'd cancel the order and look at something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellowstone-Ma ... ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Unisex- ... nt+one+man
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks for this, Andy. I know what you mean about the large pack size, thats not very manoeuvrable, is it ... I figure I'll do a workaround with a bungee cord.

As for cancelling and re-ordering ... honestly, I'll need a pop up. Even a single pole might be beyond me, given the state of my fingers. And at this price level, they're all pretty crap, lets be realistic :? When it arrives, I'll open it up, take notes (and video!) and check it over every once in a while. But I appreciate your thoughts - and the ones you linked to are more like the ones I used to use :)
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

Picked up another 5x 25ltr drums so I could then buy 250ltrs of biodiesel. It's a 45 minutes drive each way to fill up so this way I only need to do it once a month and should start having a stock in the garage spare at the end of the month. I don't like spending £1.39 a litr when I can get away with 99p and save about £100 a month

Shmbo decided to check the food stocks and came back and said we have enough food for a main meal everyday for 3 months. About the same of dog food, bottles of juice and toilet paper, but do need more long life milk. This is were she gave up and hasn't checked the freezer stocks. Some reason my response of "I'll have to pick up some more at Lidl on my way home incase of the zombie apocalypse then" wasn't the right answer lol
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

The little tent was just delivered. I had to use my preps to find it (a torch, it's fair dark now!) - MyHermes threw it over my garden gate and told their bosses that they'd put it safely in my greenhouse. I don't have a greenhouse. They even upload a pic to their website, to prove safe delivery. The pic *does* show a part of my property, yes - it shows the side of the house, and the garden gate. I've had strong words via their contact system, we'll see what comes of that (yes, I know, but I was irritated :roll: I was also wet :lol: it was raining badly here). They really do seem to find it too difficult to pop a note through the letterbox, when they leave things in out of the way places. I've disentangled it from all the wet cardboard, and I'll have a practice with it tomorrow.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:00 pm The little tent was just delivered. I had to use my preps to find it (a torch, it's fair dark now!) - MyHermes threw it over my garden gate and told their bosses that they'd put it safely in my greenhouse. I don't have a greenhouse. They even upload a pic to their website, to prove safe delivery. The pic *does* show a part of my property, yes - it shows the side of the house, and the garden gate. I've had strong words via their contact system, we'll see what comes of that (yes, I know, but I was irritated :roll: I was also wet :lol: it was raining badly here). They really do seem to find it too difficult to pop a note through the letterbox, when they leave things in out of the way places. I've disentangled it from all the wet cardboard, and I'll have a practice with it tomorrow.

Please film you trying to get it back in the bag ;)

There is a knack if you need to force it your doing something wrong :)

On the preps front I've treated us to a new domestic battery charger (think AA, AAA
, c , D and Pp3 9v ) and a few more batteries...
received_482902095450873.jpeg
received_2076090796034314.jpeg
Visited the first aid supplier and restocked on burns gell after last Sunday incident....

Also asked about trauma dressings as dad's been put on blood thinners.... Net result I left with half a carrier bag full of slightly out of date vacuum packed 4" and 6" trauma dressings...
Oh and enough kit to build a comprehensive kit for the allotment

xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

I bought one of these years ago and have never had a problem with it, no leaks, no rips, stands up well in strong winds (if positioned right) , zero condensation, lightweight, fast pitch (within 10mins), small pack size and enough room for two people and gear.

you can pick one up fairly cheap these days.

Vango Tempest pro 200

Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

xplosiv1 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:03 am I bought one of these years ago and have never had a problem with it, no leaks, no rips, stands up well in strong winds (if positioned right) , zero condensation, lightweight, fast pitch (within 10mins), small pack size and enough room for two people and gear.

you can pick one up fairly cheap these days.

Vango Tempest pro 200

I've got very similar tent by terranova

For easy pitching however our disabled friend swears by kyham tents

https://www.khyam.co.uk/tents-c174/bert ... ct-tent-p4

But they are not cheap