What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:14 pm
Deeps wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:21 pm Been a busy boy this week, certainly by my own lazy standards. The new allotment needs a LOT of work so been up there hacking and slashing and then burning, begun transferring stuff from the old allotment to the new one too. Also just finished a short course on wild mushrooms which was informative, still need to do more research on that front.

Had a mad day yesterday..
Collage open day getting shunned by teachers my age for daring to suggest filling a set of lungs with gas from the gas tap.. or magnesium powder in soapy water gas bubbles bloody health and safety!!!!! And trying to set step son up with some rather nice ladies (aka students) subsistent bollocking by Mrs and for embarrassing him :/

Then bunny and chicken food and frost fleece..

Covered my spuds half way through found it old timer "you won't need that!" .. this morning very keen frost he was trying to get in (lock iced up) edc lighter (I'm a none smoker) warmed the key hey presto "you was right lad!!"
Embarrassing your kids is when you can get your own back, enjoy watching them cringe. :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:52 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:14 pm
Deeps wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:21 pm Been a busy boy this week, certainly by my own lazy standards. The new allotment needs a LOT of work so been up there hacking and slashing and then burning, begun transferring stuff from the old allotment to the new one too. Also just finished a short course on wild mushrooms which was informative, still need to do more research on that front.

Had a mad day yesterday..
Collage open day getting shunned by teachers my age for daring to suggest filling a set of lungs with gas from the gas tap.. or magnesium powder in soapy water gas bubbles bloody health and safety!!!!! And trying to set step son up with some rather nice ladies (aka students) subsistent bollocking by Mrs and for embarrassing him :/

Then bunny and chicken food and frost fleece..

Covered my spuds half way through found it old timer "you won't need that!" .. this morning very keen frost he was trying to get in (lock iced up) edc lighter (I'm a none smoker) warmed the key hey presto "you was right lad!!"
Embarrassing your kids is when you can get your own back, enjoy watching them cringe. :lol:
Took him hill walking with some old mates year + ago one ex navy he thrived on the banter his mum would have thrown a fit think it opened his eyes to "the real world" that and army cadets has bolstered his confidence
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:56 pm
Took him hill walking with some old mates year + ago one ex navy he thrived on the banter his mum would have thrown a fit think it opened his eyes to "the real world" that and army cadets has bolstered his confidence
Its easy to forget how difficult it was being a teen and gloss over things because we don't want to look back on at our young selves, I think this is a big part of the 'not like it was when I were a lad', I certainly do. :oops:

Hope the ex matelot didn't disgrace himself or if he did, I hope he did it in style. :lol:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Deeps wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:21 pm Also just finished a short course on wild mushrooms which was informative, still need to do more research on that front.
You might find this useful mate, try the MMI out
http://www.mycokey.com/
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:02 pm
Deeps wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:21 pm Also just finished a short course on wild mushrooms which was informative, still need to do more research on that front.
You might find this useful mate, try the MMI out
http://www.mycokey.com/
Cheers bro, I'll take a look. My missus works with a Lithuanian girl who sent her (and then me) a similar thing. I do need to get my 'shroom knowledge up.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Had to pop out fora couple of hours this morning and when I got back MrsG had juiced a fair few buckets of apples . Very sweet but nice all the same . Had a glass with lunch where we tried the peppers we'd pickled a few weeks ago. Not tried picking them before but certainly worth it in our opinion. We still have some left on the plants so it looks like they will be heading for the vinegar too.
MancLife

Post by MancLife »

Well my stores are starting to get back up to a more realistic level now. I’ve 2 weeks worth of food for 4 people and a dog. Though I think Aldi, Lidl, home bargains and the like mist think I’m mad with my buying habits!

Also, tested my Sawyer water filter out on the stream next to my house and it’s brill. Wouldn’t want to use it as things would’ve had to have gone truly south to need to use it. But at least I now know I’ve an additional source of potable water if needed.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Got a week off work, so I am fishing, fixing up two new security lights, fishing, chainsawing a load of logs I snagged and clearing the polytunnel now the last tomatoes are out. I might even squeeze a fishing trip in! :lol:

We are having an “off grid” weekend too. Our house is full of daughters friends crashed all over, so we are taking advantage of the mild weather and spending a day and couple of nights at the ‘beach hut.’We have a little solar set up, so listening to music, reading and chilling out. Only need the house for the shower! The only mains electricity we are using is to the fridge for Mrs J’s Prosecco! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

MancLife wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:05 pm

Also, tested my Sawyer water filter out on the stream next to my house and it’s brill. Wouldn’t want to use it as things would’ve had to have gone truly south to need to use it. But at least I now know I’ve an additional source of potable water if needed.
Next time your out grab a big 3l bottle of coke cola drink it cut the bottom off screw the Sawyer to it I got a bit of tubing from a homebrew section of Wilco's it pushes on place other end in clean container.... And let gravity save you sucking ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ClericalError

Post by ClericalError »

This was a prep of sorts: a lot of intensive interviewing leading to the offer of a new job. My current more or less fixed term contract was coming to an end in a couple of months and as my role requires living onsite, that meant finding a new workplace and a new home.

And the new home will mean considerations about security, and continuing to learn to garden, and so on...