Glassing Eggs

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
MancLife

Glassing Eggs

Post by MancLife »

Stumbled across it whilst looking for powdered eggs (which is silly expensive) and wondered if anyone had tried it. It was in common use up until 50 years ago but died out with the advent of cheap eggs and refrigeration. It’s basiclly hidrated lime mixed with water which you sink the eggs in. It then keeps them for months!

I’ve tried looking at the forums on here but couldn’t find any threads about it. I’m therefore assuming there’s a catch.
Jamesey1981

Re: Glassing Eggs

Post by Jamesey1981 »

There are a few here that tried it, I haven't myself but I remember the topic so I've dug it out for you, there's links to an article or two as well.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14409&hilit=Isinglass
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
MancLife

Post by MancLife »

Thanks for the link. Looks like it’s okay in a pinch but not much more. I’ll keep looking for powdered eggs then!
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Have you ever tried coating the eggs in mineral oil ...... some people have had them over a year and they're still fine. never tried it myself as eggs don't tend to last more than a few days in this house.

to check an egg just do a float test, large glass or pot of water, if it floats it bad all the good eggs will sink to the bottom.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

xplosiv1 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:08 pm
to check an egg just do a float test, large glass or pot of water, if it floats it bad all the good eggs will sink to the bottom.
And the ones that 'Stand up' need eating first.

Can you freeze raw eggs?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

A good read, thanks for sharing mate. I still need to have a go at scrambling then dehydrating.