Something hard to prep for but should have been avoidable :-/

Medical and Healthcare
ukpreppergrrl

Re: Something hard to prep for but should have been avoidable :-/

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Oh my! :o (I did instinctively say something else when I first scrolled down to the picture, but I won't repeat it out loud here! :oops: ) Hope the foot heals quickly Peejay. Yes indeed a salutary reminder that something very simple can seriously scarper any plans in an instant.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
peejay

Post by peejay »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:53 am Oh my! :o (I did instinctively say something else when I first scrolled down to the picture, but I won't repeat it out loud here!
It probably sounded very similar to what I said at the time! :lol:
peejay

Post by peejay »

Quick update - 17 days in, wounds healing fantastically with just dressing changes twice weekly & this afternoon I found myself running from the car park to an appointment due to delay from lack of parking spaces & only remembered my "bad" foot after I'd stopped at reception. So, I guess it's healing rather well! :-D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:29 pm Quick update - 17 days in, wounds healing fantastically with just dressing changes twice weekly & this afternoon I found myself running from the car park to an appointment due to delay from lack of parking spaces & only remembered my "bad" foot after I'd stopped at reception. So, I guess it's healing rather well! :-D
Glad its going well mate.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

What was the actual treatment you received ?
Was any specific treatment administered on the hill?
What did they do in A and E? (Did they POP the blister?) :shock:

Glad to hear it's getting better :)
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

peejay wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:29 pm Quick update - 17 days in, wounds healing fantastically with just dressing changes twice weekly & this afternoon I found myself running from the car park to an appointment due to delay from lack of parking spaces & only remembered my "bad" foot after I'd stopped at reception. So, I guess it's healing rather well! :-D
Excellent news. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:30 am What was the actual treatment you received ?

Remarkably little treatment anywhere actually!
On the hill they put gauze over it, then clingfilm then bandage. No popping.

At A&E they popped & "de-roofed" the blisters (removed all the loose skin. Then they gave it a minor cleansing (was clean anyway), laid Atrauman Silver gauze sheets directly on the wounds (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atrauman-AG-Si ... B00FX8DR2M) then wadding over that and finally bandaging. The senior male nurse at A&E was VERY adamant that I should push the next day for daily dressing changes at my local GP/nurse but the nurse that actually dressed the wound said "I've done LOADS of these & I'd leave it a few days before messing with it unless it changes/weeps etc." so I listened to her & waited another day before seeing my local nurse, who promptly agreed with her.

From there (a Tuesday) it was twice-weekly (Tue/Fri) dressing changes which was just Atrauman gauze (they didn't have the silver but apparently that's more aimed at infected wounds but had the "plain" stuff.

So, again, gauze, wadding, bandage. No creams/ointments/drugs of any kind at all, just keep it sensibly clean & dry (bathing is "fun") and it's just done its own thing.

I've been taking matching photos of it at every change to document the healing progression. Happy to share if folks here are interested but I appreciate it's not for everyone :)

As it stands I have a few of the scabs now starting to peel off already & most of the main healing is just about complete. The nurse doesn't even think it will scar much as it's healed so well!

Ironic that I caused it myself but have largely got away with it, yet my other half has been languishing in hospital since Thursday morning, now with sepsis & a newly discovered major spinal issue (Cauda Equina Syndrome) that /should/ be operated on within 24-48hrs of discovery, but they now can't risk it with her infection, leaving her on antibiotics for at least 14 days before they can consider the surgery. And yet all of this and she had no wound/trauma whatsoever so it goes to show how you can be taken out without even thinking about it, no matter how well you prep...
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Hope it all goes well for both of you mate.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:54 pm Hope it all goes well for both of you mate.
Agreed. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

peejay wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:28 pm
Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:30 am What was the actual treatment you received ?

Remarkably little treatment anywhere actually!
On the hill they put gauze over it, then clingfilm then bandage. No popping.

At A&E they popped & "de-roofed" the blisters (removed all the loose skin. Then they gave it a minor cleansing (was clean anyway), laid Atrauman Silver gauze sheets directly on the wounds (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atrauman-AG-Si ... B00FX8DR2M) then wadding over that and finally bandaging. The senior male nurse at A&E was VERY adamant that I should push the next day for daily dressing changes at my local GP/nurse but the nurse that actually dressed the wound said "I've done LOADS of these & I'd leave it a few days before messing with it unless it changes/weeps etc." so I listened to her & waited another day before seeing my local nurse, who promptly agreed with her.

From there (a Tuesday) it was twice-weekly (Tue/Fri) dressing changes which was just Atrauman gauze (they didn't have the silver but apparently that's more aimed at infected wounds but had the "plain" stuff.

So, again, gauze, wadding, bandage. No creams/ointments/drugs of any kind at all, just keep it sensibly clean & dry (bathing is "fun") and it's just done its own thing.

I've been taking matching photos of it at every change to document the healing progression. Happy to share if folks here are interested but I appreciate it's not for everyone :)

As it stands I have a few of the scabs now starting to peel off already & most of the main healing is just about complete. The nurse doesn't even think it will scar much as it's healed so well!

Ironic that I caused it myself but have largely got away with it, yet my other half has been languishing in hospital since Thursday morning, now with sepsis & a newly discovered major spinal issue (Cauda Equina Syndrome) that /should/ be operated on within 24-48hrs of discovery, but they now can't risk it with her infection, leaving her on antibiotics for at least 14 days before they can consider the surgery. And yet all of this and she had no wound/trauma whatsoever so it goes to show how you can be taken out without even thinking about it, no matter how well you prep...
Sounds like nature has done its job. Although you seem to be getting more than your fair share of crap at the moment, hope you are both better soon.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"