Mental Health.

Medical and Healthcare
Deeps

Re: Mental Health.

Post by Deeps »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:16 pm
Totally understand this. Nearly twenty years ago we recognized that the pressure of owning our own business wasn't worth the hassle anymore and decided to sell up and move abroad, which turned out to be the best thing we ever done. We are back in the UK permanently now, but once you grasp the importance and value of good mental health there really is no going back and our lives are so much better. I still see friends struggling with the same stress issues they did twenty years ago and it's all b******t stuff that doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. They don't get it though, they believe their work lives define them and hence their family status. Life really is too short. Nameste.
I think its easy to fall into, especially if you have a family and/or a mortgage etc, its hard not to buy into the 'normal' lifestyle and then you get sucked into the rest of it. I think it takes a bit of strength of character to be 'different' a lot of the time. That's without the TV telling you that you need to have the latest of this or that. Even those who do 'opt out' tend to follow a path rather than their own 'bliss', a lot of people are looking for SOMETHING, now why is a very big and different debate.
jansman

Post by jansman »

As I left work yesterday,I shouted to my colleagues, " if you have a problem on Monday,fu##### deal with it,'cos I am going fishing! " :lol:

My wife is a teacher.She has had similar issues - and addressed them.

Your mind has to be at peace.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

I lost my dad just before last xmas, a nasty neurological disease, he ebbed away slowly, it was brutal.

I'd been cracking on as normal this year, felt fine, then about 8 weeks ago it hit me, tired, lethargic and all that stuff - I just couldn't see it, was convinced it was not related - bizarre really as I only acknowledged it was bereavement a few weeks back, now I'm so much better, on the up and all that, better place, happier outlook.

anyway point is, im taking time out to do stuff for me, with the family and playing work in a more relaxed an philosophical manner..

You've just got to - you owe it to yourself I think..
jansman

Post by jansman »

dazthechippy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:29 pm I lost my dad just before last xmas, a nasty neurological disease, he ebbed away slowly, it was brutal.

I'd been cracking on as normal this year, felt fine, then about 8 weeks ago it hit me, tired, lethargic and all that stuff - I just couldn't see it, was convinced it was not related - bizarre really as I only acknowledged it was bereavement a few weeks back, now I'm so much better, on the up and all that, better place, happier outlook.

anyway point is, im taking time out to do stuff for me, with the family and playing work in a more relaxed an philosophical manner..

Glad you are getting there mate.Its great that the subject can be discussed - especially amongst blokes.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

dazthechippy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:29 pm I lost my dad just before last xmas, a nasty neurological disease, he ebbed away slowly, it was brutal.

Bit of a cliche but time can be a healer, get well mate.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Quick update.The stress is gone! My successor has taken to my old job like a duck to water.She is 20- odd years younger than me,and hungry for the money! I simply advise,and in a very non- committal way,too. She is semi- skilled,but a good organiser,and liases well with other departments.Truth be told,she is nosey,and seems to love knowing everyone's business! I am very much,' look out for number one'.

I am free of work related anxieties at the moment.In fact,in 2019,I am going to try and cut my hours by a full day.Peace of mind is better than a million pounds! :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Glad the burden has been lifted Jansman.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Great news, jansman, happy to hear such a good result :)
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

I always remember the old quote:

"The most dangerous risk in life is spending your time not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later"

I've known a few people who were very wealthy but also old, and the one common thing they said, is that they wish they'd 'done it sooner'
It's ok having money, but there's a big difference between 'distracted happiness' - where you distract yourself by buying 'things' and genuine, authentic happiness, and that is something money cannot buy.

Your mental health is the most important thing anyone can focus on, and make a priority in life, but sadly it's one of the hardest, so i have absolute admiration and respect for anyone willing to admit they need help and need to change things in order to improve it.

It should be one of the proudest and most fulfilling achievements anyone can make.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Absolutely agree Jansman. We were not put on this earth so that bosses can walk all over us and make us live in misery. There's nothing worse than being unhappy at your work. I've been there a few times until I hit my 40s - and I just stopped letting it happen then. Mind Body & Spirit - all matter equally!