Tobacco

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Tobacco

Post by jansman »

We read a lot about, " what will you trade,when shtf? ".I have always maintained that barter items should be sustainable.An old boy I knew had two allotments; one for veg,the other for tobacco.He smoked a pipe,and supplied all of his tobacco,and had done since the war.

My brother is a smoker,so I am going to put a row in,and we will cure it and see.People still smoke,so it will be very tradeable( post HMRC!).Anyhow,this bloke strikes a note with me:

https://dengarden.com/gardening/Tobacco ... ng-at-Home.

I like to grow something new each year.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Re: Tobacco

Post by Arzosah »

Interesting! Have you ever been to the Eden Project, jansman? One of the domes has a project labelled something like "plants that humans use" and tobacco is grown there.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've very few family or friends who smoke nowadays but the idea of growing it as a barter prep does make sense. One advantage is that it looks a very unremarkable plant apart from being quite tall and I'd be surprised if the majority of smokers ( or people in general for that matter) would recognise it so ideal . Just looks like a great big weed , pun intended.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:34 pm Interesting! Have you ever been to the Eden Project, jansman? One of the domes has a project labelled something like "plants that humans use" and tobacco is grown there.
That would be interesting.We are thinking of Cornwall for a holiday next year actually.
grenfell wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:16 pm I've very few family or friends who smoke nowadays but the idea of growing it as a barter prep does make sense. One advantage is that it looks a very unremarkable plant apart from being quite tall and I'd be surprised if the majority of smokers ( or people in general for that matter) would recognise it so ideal . Just looks like a great big weed , pun intended.
A great big weed was my thought too!

Robert Frost.

Me.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Just a heads up: it will cross-pollinate with its domesticated sibling Nicotiana, so for seed saving (and they produce 1,000s of tiny seeds) make sure there's no Nicotiana anywhere near!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:56 am Just a heads up: it will cross-pollinate with its domesticated sibling Nicotiana, so for seed saving (and they produce 1,000s of tiny seeds) make sure there's no Nicotiana anywhere near!
I suspected as much.Thanks.

Robert Frost.

Me.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

I had thought of growing tobacco myself years back and I have seeds saved, I don't smoke so if I did grow it, it would be all barter.

not sure how it'll grow here in Scotland, might try it out in the garden next summer.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

As far as I know, it needs a hottish climate - southern USA, central and south Africa. The Eden Project grew their few plants in one of the domes.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Grows just fine in in the garden in London (personal experience). Grows just fine in the garden in Birmingham (received experience). Don't know anyone further north personally who has grown it, but I suspect there will be some. If needs be you could grow it in a greenhouse, but they are large plants (as in wide - they're the shape of a Christmas tree) so will take up a lot of room.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:42 am Grows just fine in in the garden in London (personal experience). Grows just fine in the garden in Birmingham (received experience). Don't know anyone further north personally who has grown it, but I suspect there will be some. If needs be you could grow it in a greenhouse, but they are large plants (as in wide - they're the shape of a Christmas tree) so will take up a lot of room.
I can find room in the polytunnel.

Robert Frost.

Me.