Camo vehicles

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
grenfell

Re: Camo vehicles

Post by grenfell »

I've seen those urbanised , tanked or down pimped or whatever term wants to use examples of bikes and cars on the internet and to be honest my van is hardly what one would describe as pristine , there are dents and scuffs and an area of grey primer along with an expliictive someone scratched in the back door . I know what Arzosah means when she says white or grey fits in or urbanises the vehicle and amongst hundreds of other white vans that's probably correct but it's the builders tag of a white van that is a concern. Dark battleship grey might work better than white and I have considered just the khaki base coat that's on the trailer which is pretty nondescript.
Wire coat hanger aerial? Must have seen my old van :D
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Be careful with that Biohazard sticker, depending on what you display might mean you need paperwork, insurance, qualifications etc regardless of whether you are carrying a load or not.

Also be disregarded by EMS in an emergency due to being too 'high risk' is not a situation I want to be in.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/manual/common ... s/vans.htm

Perhaps magnetised labels that can attached when static, removed when in transit?
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Thanks CD some good points and a case of great minds and all that as I've seen others point out the problems of marking up a vehicle to be carrying hazardous waste or whatever. The magnetic signs are something I've seriously considered having use them for my own business at one time. On another forum the subject of tool theft came up and I did make a comment that I re-enact and there is practically no stealing or crime at all ( except perhaps with regards to a fashion crime :D ) largely because the kit is almost impossible to sell on , re-enactors won't buy from "someone down the pub" . It's possible to walk round a camp in the evening and see rthousands of pounds worth of gear just lying around unattended and be in the full knowledge that it will all be there in the morning. That's not to say there's no crime . One guy had his trailer stolen which contained his kit built up over the years and it's believed the trailer was the target. The only other theft that springs to mind that was for the contents was the theft of a ww2 jeep. My own trailer which is full of my gear has a hitch lock and has it's wheels removed out of season.
There is also the quite legitimate argument that someone turning up in a tatty van or a van marked with some spurious signage doesn't give the right image to customers or inspire confidence in the tradesman.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Captain Darling wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:49 pm Be careful with that Biohazard sticker, depending on what you display might mean you need paperwork, insurance, qualifications etc regardless of whether you are carrying a load or not.

Also be disregarded by EMS in an emergency due to being too 'high risk' is not a situation I want to be in.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/manual/common ... s/vans.htm

Perhaps magnetised labels that can attached when static, removed when in transit?

That's some interesting reading I have 100 mm flammable gas and a liquid one I slap on when I'm swapping a calor gas bottle or a Jerry can of petrol..

I'm exempt been a private car but I would hate to put the emergency workers at risk should I be unlucky enough to have a accident I also Cary a 1 kg and a 2 kg powder extinguisher most of the time
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

If I'm reading it correctly the petrol in my van is exempt due to it being "ancillary to main activity" . I've normally got two 5L containers of petrol , one neat and the other a two stoke mix so 10L plus the couple of litres in the tools themselves at least on fill up day. In addition I normally carry a litre of white spirits for paint thinning or cleaning which is also work related and a 5L can of diesel as an emergency supply for the van itself. There's a fire extinguisher carried too.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Probably because it's been on my mind I dreamt last night of camoed vans and trailers. We'll sort of . They were painted in conventional camo patterns of large blobs or areas but the colours were "wrong" . They seemed to be overall a base of lemon yellow with swaths of sky blue and mint green on top. Perhaps the answer? Not exactly grey man but that's what I'm trying to get away from , blending into other builders vans , but on the other hand not really saying anything .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Perfick :lol:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Interesting blog post about making a van look unattractive,
http://opeyemioladotun.blogspot.com/201 ... theft.html
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

Oh Heck........ My combo van I moved on some time back ( along with Soviet Joe) as it was attracting all sorts of attention I put it down to the royal blue paint job, not unlike the British gas vans so I guess that was a bit of a magnet to the would be criminals, on another note one evening 40+ cars had their tyres slashed on one of the side roads near to us, no reason it just looks like person or persons just decided to slash every car tyre that they came across...... what's gone wrong within society that we have to be constantly vigilant against crime ???? as for driving around in a Sh!ter this may seem like a good plan but then you end up being targeted by the police for not looking road legal etc.... looks like you cant win? :o
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

NATO green or camo says crusty traveller to me and likely to be someone asleep inside.
An internal cage and or a van vault along with additional security locks would be sensible, along with a single jump lead and a can of easy start on the dash..

I have no idea what you do for a living but unless you are known to the client or just working as a subbie turning up looking usual doesn't put people at ease.

There is an epidemic of tool theft happening round here, I would wager an awful lot of it isn't sold on here in the UK but goes straight into a container of another vehicle to be driven to Europe.

Police round here don't even bother attending anymore just give a crime number over the phone. The plumbers van was done last week (along with another 12 the same night on the surrounding streets) and he found some of his kit and wallet dumped a short distance away - they couldn't even be bothered to finger print it.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....