What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Deeps »

Stonecarver wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 pm
Btw Deeps what dehydrater do you have
Not sure, its one of the round jobs, they start about 30 quid. The control panel on this one looks similar to mine, the missus got me it as a crimbo pressy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stackable-Dehy ... dehydrator

I've bagged up the curry sauce too, will give it a go this weekend and report back on the effectiveness.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Deeps wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:29 pm
Stonecarver wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 pm
Btw Deeps what dehydrater do you have
Not sure, its one of the round jobs, they start about 30 quid. The control panel on this one looks similar to mine, the missus got me it as a crimbo pressy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stackable-Dehy ... dehydrator

I've bagged up the curry sauce too, will give it a go this weekend and report back on the effectiveness.
Thanks for link
Price taken a big hit from 100 :o or is that just them being creative again. How long can you keep the curry sauce?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Stonecarver wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:17 pm
Thanks for link
Price taken a big hit from 100 :o or is that just them being creative again. How long can you keep the curry sauce?
The one I got was 50 quid apparently, she just went 'mid range'. It's done what I need.

Can't say for sure on the curry sauce specifically but I've dehydrated and vacc sealed meals that I've eaten over 2 years later. I do make sure they are uber dry though, to the point of having sharp edges. Its way cheaper than buying off the shelf walking meals although I don't have such a diverse array as the freeze dried stuff. I do tailor it to my taste though.

We should probably carry this on in the dehydrating thread. :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well final smoke alarm up in the downstairs hall with a built in escape light.... Lights the hall up really well

https://www.diy.com/departments/fireang ... 118_BQ.prd

Now that's the whole house covered bar the bathroom...

Final step will be to sort the escape ladder out which will be the "last resort" if we can't get out and no sign of fire and rescue... Got to fix 2 eye bolts into the brick wall under the window near the skirting board and then I can clip the escape ladder to it to and lob it out the wide opening window ... (Old house proper engineering bricks and solid)

Been meaning to do all this for ages had the ladder for over a year and wanted to up the number of smoke alarms since I moved in here..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Deeps wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:29 pm
Stonecarver wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:17 pm
Thanks for link
The one I got was 50 quid apparently, she just went 'mid range'. It's done what I need.

Can't say for sure on the curry sauce specifically but I've dehydrated and vacc sealed meals that I've eaten over 2 years later. I do make sure they are uber dry though, to the point of having sharp edges. Its way cheaper than buying off the shelf walking meals although I don't have such a diverse array as the freeze dried stuff. I do tailor it to my taste though.

We should probably carry this on in the dehydrating thread. :D
I'll do that once I actually HAVE a dehydrater :lol:
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

Not exactly my own preps but had a funny little convo with the daughter-in-law on the phone.
Apparently I have a lot to answer for LOL
My lad went a 'bit daft' in Poundland she says.
10 Frey Bentos pies, 10 tins of stewed steak, 30 tins beans,10 tins hotdogs, 10 jars pasta sauce, 20 tins of tuna & 30 tins of veg.
I don't see a problem, apart from not adding 10 or so more pies :D
Ara

Post by Ara »

So they are minimalists would you say?
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Bought some extra tins of food for my store, dehydrated a bag of carrots ( though my daughter keeps feeding them to the dog as treats so I am not sure how many will be left to store :lol: ) and my husband who shoots for a hobby at an official range etc etc made sure everything is tickety boo in that department. ( *mods - I hope I am not straying into non allowed territory.) I also ensure our basic tool kit is all fine - working hand drills, clean sharp saws etc. As we don't use our tools as much as a tradesman or someone skilled with wood etc, it's not a bad idea to check stuff over from time to time - my hack saw blade is rusty so I need to get a new pack of blades.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Tomorrow I am fetching a load of logs from my neighbour,who is moving.Sorting out our house insurance ,bottling some wine,making biltong,pickling eggs and sorting bean and tomato seed.If I can find time ,I will tie some hooks and fishing rigs.Oh yes,I have to get a sack of layers pellets.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

jansman wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:41 pm Tomorrow I am fetching a load of logs from my neighbour,who is moving.Sorting out our house insurance ,bottling some wine,making biltong,pickling eggs and sorting bean and tomato seed.If I can find time ,I will tie some hooks and fishing rigs.Oh yes,I have to get a sack of layers pellets.
Jansman is there any special reason your neighbours are moving out? ie increased crime etc etc or is it just that they are alone. Plus is that a portend of the future you think?
Jansman