Home insurance

For all things financial
jansman

Home insurance

Post by jansman »

There was a mention about home insurance being a solid,basic prep.Mine is due now.Just done an online quote.1 million quid buildings cover,£100,000 contents.£138 quid for the year! And a good name d compsny,Legal and General.

Probably the best prep to start with.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Home insurance

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Yep and the ring round every year getting a few quotes... No rewards for been loyal these days..

And remember the comparison sites front end load the price for their referral commission.... ( Which is why meercats will "refuse to quote" "ABC insurance" if confused.com has already given you a price .....

From a friend who works in insurance don't lie about things like are you or any member of the household a smoker... As in the event of a fire and the brigade report says caused by smoking material your deepbin the poo
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Houses and pets, 2 sort of insurance I''ll be keeping up.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My home insurance was expensive for ages, because not only did I have a home office, I also had clients callng at the house. The drop in the quote when I'd retired was great :lol:

ETA - we were talking recently about people with criminal records being into preparedness, a new member's situation? Home insurance is awful, potentially - it can be three or four times the price, nothing to do with whatever the conviction's for :(
peejay

Post by peejay »

jansman wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:59 pm There was a mention about home insurance being a solid,basic prep.Mine is due now.Just done an online quote.1 million quid buildings cover,£100,000 contents.£138 quid for the year! And a good name d compsny,Legal and General.

Probably the best prep to start with.
?????

I haven't got the most recent cost to hand but I know that in 2014 I was paying >£800 for buildings/contents insurance for the year - house value is only up to 140k (that's purchase, not rebuild) and I think the contents was only about £25k !!!

Mine is next due in Jan - I think I'll be doing some serious shopping around!!
peejay

Post by peejay »

Wow, just threw a quote in & buildings/contents cover up to £1.5m/£150k comes in at just £274/yr for me - just checked my insurance DD & it's currently £74/month! :-O

Methinks I'll be calling them tomorrow to find the cancellation impact - even if I just cancelled with no refund of remainder I'd still end up with a way better value policy! :-O
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:53 pm Wow, just threw a quote in & buildings/contents cover up to £1.5m/£150k comes in at just £274/yr for me - just checked my insurance DD & it's currently £74/month! :-O

Methinks I'll be calling them tomorrow to find the cancellation impact - even if I just cancelled with no refund of remainder I'd still end up with a way better value policy! :-O
All the insurances are worth checking out, so is the AA/RAC/Green thingy if you do that too. Even if you just have an argy bargy with your provider you will save a fortune. Same with Sky if you deal with them, they will go down to 50% if you hold out. Not an urban myth I've done it for a few years.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Sky put ours up again, and I cancelled it. I was about to install a freesat box, and they called. Offered us the family pack ( £40 or so) for £11 a month! In March, if they put it up, it’s back to freesat! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Read the fine, fine print as well.

Fully covered for leaky pipes or so I thought until they came around to survey. Cancelled on the spot, kicked out the surveyor and went with Winston Wolf :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Ran out of time to phone mine & shout today so just did a quote on confused.com & the cheapest was £145 with 18 other quotes below £200, including my own incumbent quoting £186 !!!!

I'm on a roll now - been too lazy to shop around & haggle with digital services (Sky/Virgin etc.) & have calculated that if I get my finger out I should be able to sort a good £2.5k/year saving! I can certainly find better things to be spending that sort of money on...