What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:41 pm OH was complaining that her (2yo) wellies were leaking so I jokingly had a search for wellie repair ideas & actually came across "Stormsure" which seems pretty good stuff so just ordered some to give it a go (the wellies were apparently £50 so worth a try at a repair).
Let us know how effective they are, I've a mate who's tried the wellie repair kits, he wasn't that impressed.

As for preps, been fairly quiet, a bit more dehydrating and that's about it I think. Got a fairly hefty crop from the allotment, some of which Her Maj is pickling. Been slowly adding to the ​​​​​​​zombie, whoops I mean brexit stores. Zombies are sooooo last year. :lol:
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

I've finished a grab bag for the car which can be easily taken out and carried elsewhere. It's a little of the heavy side at the moment, but next week's task it to review and possibly swap out items for lighter ones, or remove some items all together.

My walking boots are coming to the end of their life, so I need to get a new pair and break them in.

One car tire is a low in tread so I need to get that sorted too.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Dave999 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:47 am I've finished a grab bag for the car which can be easily taken out and carried elsewhere. It's a little of the heavy side at the moment, but next week's task it to review and possibly swap out items for lighter ones, or remove some items all together.

My walking boots are coming to the end of their life, so I need to get a new pair and break them in.

What's the bag weighing in at mate ? If its manageable for you then I wouldn't worry about it. Mine is on the heavy side but in theory I've got a couple days worth in it which is more than most.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Well I've finally succumbed & got myself a fairly decent little tent! Been kind of following the whole bushcraft thing for a while now & fancying a play but also wanted to do a lot more walking. OH's self-imposed walking limit is generally about 2hrs - that means an hour there, hour back generally, barely enough time to take a jacket off. I've managed to con her into a 4hr walk a couple of times but it wasn't pretty...

Friend at work is a very keen walker and camper so we've been kind of talking about a cheeky walk & wild-camp (late pitch, early rise to remain discreet) so I've gradually been accumulating kit conducive to such activities. Last thing now I'll pick up this weekend is a decent enough backpack then we'll pick a weekend (probably v soon knowing how keen he is!) & we'll be off somewhere in the Peak District for an overnighter.

Ultimately where I'd love to be is going out doing similar for photography to be in the right places at the right times (sunrise/sunset).

Should be fun, could be sh!te - last time I was in a tent was >30yrs ago & I do like my caravan these days but change is as good as a rest etc.....
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:44 pm Well I've finally succumbed & got myself a fairly decent little tent! Been kind of following the whole bushcraft thing for a while now & fancying a play but also wanted to do a lot more walking. OH's self-imposed walking limit is generally about 2hrs - that means an hour there, hour back generally, barely enough time to take a jacket off. I've managed to con her into a 4hr walk a couple of times but it wasn't pretty...

Friend at work is a very keen walker and camper so we've been kind of talking about a cheeky walk & wild-camp (late pitch, early rise to remain discreet) so I've gradually been accumulating kit conducive to such activities. Last thing now I'll pick up this weekend is a decent enough backpack then we'll pick a weekend (probably v soon knowing how keen he is!) & we'll be off somewhere in the Peak District for an overnighter.

Ultimately where I'd love to be is going out doing similar for photography to be in the right places at the right times (sunrise/sunset).

Should be fun, could be sh!te - last time I was in a tent was >30yrs ago & I do like my caravan these days but change is as good as a rest etc.....
Brilliant mate, hope you enjoy it. I'm twitching, I've not been for a couple of weeks and I'm not likely to get away this weekend. I'm meeting pals in the lake district for a camp in a couple of weeks but I might have to have a wee camp next weekend as I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. I can pretend its to test gear before the following weekend but no point lying to myself. :lol:

Sounds like your mate knows what's what so speak to him and figure out what you need, you'll probably tweak it over time if you want to do it again. Get out there though, its great.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

peejay wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:44 pm Well I've finally succumbed & got myself a fairly decent little tent! Been kind of following the whole bushcraft thing for a while now & fancying a play but also wanted to do a lot more walking. OH's self-imposed walking limit is generally about 2hrs - that means an hour there, hour back generally, barely enough time to take a jacket off. I've managed to con her into a 4hr walk a couple of times but it wasn't pretty...

Nice one mate do it, I've been itching to head up Cairngorms for a few weeks but I know I'm not going to get a chance between now and Christmas (work is mental right now and every other weekend is family stuff) ..... if you have the opportunity do it, like you said a change is as good as a rest.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Deeps wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:31 am
Dave999 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:47 am I've finished a grab bag for the car which can be easily taken out and carried elsewhere. It's a little of the heavy side at the moment, but next week's task it to review and possibly swap out items for lighter ones, or remove some items all together.

What's the bag weighing in at mate ? If its manageable for you then I wouldn't worry about it. Mine is on the heavy side but in theory I've got a couple days worth in it which is more than most.
I'll have to weigh it.
It's probably a little more than I would like if walking for a few days with it. Im planning to do a day out with it then lighten the load if needed.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Dave999 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:31 pm I'll have to weigh it.
It's probably a little more than I would like if walking for a few days with it. Im planning to do a day out with it then lighten the load if needed.
If its a car bag could you split it ? Some stuff might be more car orientated than putting on your back and going for a wander. Do you think you'll have to carry it for a couple of days ? If I'm walking then I'll take 2 days (plus) to get from my mums house to mine and that's my yardstick. It falls over if I've got an old burd with me though and will be considerably quicker if I end up acquiring a push bike or other transport assuming the worst case scenario. I also like to carry a hundred quid or so which might get me a lift.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The secret ( for me) was to make sure a lot of my kit is multi- use. And disposable too. My car ghb is geared around a 12 to 15 mile walk home. I have factored in an overnight kip ( or more of a stopover/ snooze)if needs be. No sleeping bag, but a heavy duty plastic survival bag, green in colour, 300 grams and throwaway. Mylar blankets the same, although I have a proper, heavy duty space blanket, with brass grommets. 320grams. All disposable.

Water bottles , full, a Sawyer filter and puritabs, no cook , high energy food, a small first aid kit,a torch and spare battery,a military poncho that has grommets and makes a passable bivi. It also works as a waterproof garment! Clothes for the season, which I would be wearing anyway, boots ( which I wear , not carry), anker phone charger, contents of pockets like fag lighter, multi tool,cash like Deeps, and a hiking pole. I have put a hexi stove and brew kit in now, but it is chuckable if I need to move fast to get home. What goes on my back, including the weight of water and bag is Sub- 10 lb. Still too much IMO , but I am not pratting about anymore with it, as I hope never to use it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Cash and carry run done....
IMG_20180902_135302592.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine