Hidden retreat?

Homes and Retreats
Silverteeth

Hidden retreat?

Post by Silverteeth »

What are all the best options for a hidden building or dwelling for a bug out retreat?

If somebody has some land in the UK and cant get permission to build anything, never being able to get planning permission for residential, but its ok to use for agriculture.

Some kind of earth sheltered, or underground dwelling, but which is simpliest and how to keep it hidden from property inspectors? And from the air?

I was thinking about some kind of earthship with south facing windows and then a good camo net over the windows?

Or just dont have any windows and keep it completely undergound?

What other options are the best?
preparedsurrey

Re: Hidden retreat?

Post by preparedsurrey »

Buy land with a cave or natural depression, the amount of soil/ rock/ clay you need to excavate and get rid of is phenomenal, I very much doubt it's the sort of thing you could get away with doing without someone noticing the amount of wagons coming and going and heavy machinery being used.

If you buy a house on a slope you may find you have a good sized void under your floor already.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
jansman

Post by jansman »

Have a look in the Homes and retreat section.'So you want to bury a shipping container' top of the page...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

preparedsurrey wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:58 pm the amount of soil/ rock/ clay you need to excavate and get rid of is phenomenal
I once asked a mate how his Rabbits managed to dig their homes without him seeing the spoil, apparently they go to great length to spread it out, which has me thinking would that solve the issue? Spread out the spoils.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Plymtom wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:31 pm
preparedsurrey wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:58 pm the amount of soil/ rock/ clay you need to excavate and get rid of is phenomenal
I once asked a mate how his Rabbits managed to dig their homes without him seeing the spoil, apparently they go to great length to spread it out, which has me thinking would that solve the issue? Spread out the spoils.

It's all well going down but you have to keep the water out...... Both rain and ground water dig down a foot here and I hit water nearly all year round....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
korolev

Post by korolev »

Why am I thinking of Porridge ?

Mr McKay foils a plot to tunnel out and he asks Fletcher what they did with all the spoil. Fletcher replies "They dug another tunnel and put it all in there".
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

It should be feasible to spread the waste over the top of any hideout so that it looks like some sort of natural hillock or mound. However , the reference to the great escape is close to a reality in that many tunnels were dug from pow camps and never used because they were discovered . The practicalities of building a bunker can be overcome but I would very much doubt that keeping it a complete secret are anywhere as easy.
Still best of British and all that.
Offgrid

Post by Offgrid »

I don't know if you've resolved your situation yet but I have built a hidden retreat myself so have some idea of the problems. I'd start with forest land, either rough uncleared land or some recent pine forest. Don't go for listed old growth land as it's more expensive and you're more likely to attract attention. Make sure you have access that isn't under observation from nosey neighbours. Clear enough space so that your vehicle can get on the land and stay there without being seen by passers by or neighbours. Pick a nice spot well away from the road that is completely surrounded and preferably mostly covered with trees. Remember the council can look at Google maps and if the aerial photos show that you've built a great big barn they will hassle you. Build yourself a shack. For quick results use the ground spikes that are designed for fences. Build a platform raised from the ground, that saves levelling the ground and prevents damp. Then put some walls and roof with insulation and you've got shelter. Use wire netting suspended over the shack to camouflage with sticks and whatever else blends in. This can be achieved in a couple of weeks rather than months and for a few hundred pounds if you use secondhand or free materials.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Offgrid wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:39 am I don't know if you've resolved your situation yet but I have built a hidden retreat myself so have some idea of the problems. I'd start with forest land, either rough uncleared land or some recent pine forest............... This can be achieved in a couple of weeks rather than months and for a few hundred pounds if you use secondhand or free materials.
You can't be suggesting building this shack on someone elses land. How much will it cost to buy a sufficiently large area of pine forest/woodland? £20-40K? I don't suppose many of us could afford that.
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.