what are the best multi vitamins to take and stock

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
cornerstone

what are the best multi vitamins to take and stock

Post by cornerstone »

There seem to be so many at such different prices, so what are the best or good, separate or multi?

Thanks for any answers I really need the advice.
DoktorMeot

Re: what are the best multi vitamins to take and stock

Post by DoktorMeot »

I have tried posting a reply here but received an error message. I have sent an email to UKP. I hope to post my reply soon :)
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

We both take wellman/woman
Seem to have all that a growing (old)body needs
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

I guess it depends on why you are taking them. The advice is always to eat a well balanced diet and you'll get all the vitamins and minerals you need. If your doctor has advised you're low on something, they should also have advised what to take. But if you're talking about making sure you're getting everything during difficult times then I would guess a bog standard multi vitamin will be sufficient. But check on things like vitamin c and calcium content. As these tend to be bulky contents the smaller multi tablets often do not have 100% of these in them, so you may wish to stock up on those separately.

That said, it is reckoned that most British people, and particularly if you are black, should take additional vitamin D as, this summer excepting, we don't generally get enough sunshine to make enough vitamin D. (Did you know you can store vitamin D for those dark winter days? If you top up your sunshine quotient enough in the summer it can last you all winter - I only discovered this recently!) Personally I find additional B12 is helping with energy as I've got older. If you are taking calcium then you should always take vitamin D with it as it is D that helps you absorb the calcium.

The one to be careful of is vitamin A - this is not a vitamin that you just flush out of your body if you have too much (like vitamins C and B12), instead it is stored in your liver and is toxic. Similarly too much iron can cause problems.

As for which brands...I generally go with supermarket own as they are considerably cheaper. I do look at all the contents and RDA percentages on the packets and check what I'm getting with each one. As far as I can see they pretty much all use the same chemicals to provide the vitamins, so I'm not absolutely sure it makes a huge difference. Check on bbe dates as some vitamins degrade quite quickly so the fresher your vitamins the better. This is especially true if you're looking at things like Omega 3 oil capsules as they do go rancid and you don't want to be taking rancid oil. For what it's worth I have supermarket multi-vitamins (without iron) stored for an emergency, rotated out as the bbe approaches, with additional Calcium and Vitamin D, Vitamin C and Vitamin B complex

Caveats: if you're lactose intolerant then it will make a difference as some brands use lactose as a binding agent. I believe that the calcium used can vary and some people get on better with one than the other, but the only way to find out is to try them. Preferably before you're in a bunker for 2 months! Obviously if you're vegetarian or vegan you'll also want to be checking on contents and binding agents and capsule contents (e.g. the gel capsules usually use non-vegetarian gelatine)

Big Caveat: I am not a doctor, or a health care professional, or a nutritionist. The above are just my views. Take what I say with a pinch of salt (unless you have high blood pressure in which case avoid the salt) and research some more!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

I used to take the wellman a few years ago but made my pee lime green and smell something that was not lime.

Now I am on Holland & Barrett Ultra Man and thankfully the Mrs is on the Ultra Woman (otherwise she may start beating me up!)

No side effects, pee is normal.

It's a strange thing to know/feel if something is doing you good as you may not notice it. FYI I started every morning on the Yakult drink a few back. Initially my morning ablutions changed (not for the better or worse) but I didn't feel that much different. I stopped a few weeks ago to see if I or my body would notice and nothing really changed....except I am prone more now to 5:00am rages in the back garden shouting naked at the lawn mower ;)
Gordon's Alive!?
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

Thanks, everyone I had a painful B12 def I am on something now but was looking to when they are stopped in 4 months I plan on a low dose folic acid a 500mg Vit c and all bran and yeast extract for the B12
DoktorMeot

Post by DoktorMeot »

I go with what I see prescribed at work (pharmacist). Docs prescribe from a formulary and prescriptions must have an evidence base. Many supplements just don't have the evidence to support their use.

I see a lot of (multivitamin for adults) and (multivitamin for kids). Also calcium+vitD tabs, vitamin B compounds, iron and folic acid.

A multivitamin with added iron/calcium/folic acid for general needs. But what are your/ your family's specific needs? If indoors a lot, take vitamin D. If elderly/brittle bones, calcium with vitD. Do you receive injections for your deficiency?
DoktorMeot

Post by DoktorMeot »

Also, agree with ukpreppergrrl. Good advice there
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

I’m also a pharmacist, genuinely I’d not bother with expensive stuff. General multivit with iron will be more than sufficient. And plenty of rehydration sachets!!!
DoktorMeot

Post by DoktorMeot »

Welshwiz11 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:53 pm I’m also a pharmacist, genuinely I’d not bother with expensive stuff. General multivit with iron will be more than sufficient. And plenty of rehydration sachets!!!
Interesting Welshwiz11, I know a few pharmacist preppers! Considering I barely know any preppers at all, there must be a link? Are we good planners and organisers? Good problem solvers? Probably just pessimists always looking at worst case scenarios.