What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
angeuk

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by angeuk »

I'm planting some spring cabbage and some onions for next year. Hoping the cabbages won't be eaten by insects if they are out over winter. Putting a few fences around my raised beds, to stop the cats crapping all over them or the grand-kids digging them up.

Looking at making the shed more secure too. Nothing in there really for light-fingers to want at the moment, but if it all goes boobs skyward, there's a lot of food stored.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have an unexpected day off this week,so after my main priority - going fishing :lol: -I shall be pickling onions and eggs,dehydrating more tomatoes and gathering pea seed from the garden.I am also hoping to get into the workshop and clear some junk.There is only so much stuff you can hang on to,' just in case'. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:46 am I have an unexpected day off this week,so after my main priority - going fishing :lol: -I shall be pickling onions and eggs,dehydrating more tomatoes and gathering pea seed from the garden.I am also hoping to get into the workshop and clear some junk.There is only so much stuff you can hang on to,' just in case'. :lol:
Wash your mouth out with soap !!!! It will all come in useful for...... something....... Honest. :tinfoil
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:34 am
jansman wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:46 am I have an unexpected day off this week,so after my main priority - going fishing :lol: -I shall be pickling onions and eggs,dehydrating more tomatoes and gathering pea seed from the garden.I am also hoping to get into the workshop and clear some junk.There is only so much stuff you can hang on to,' just in case'. :lol:
Wash your mouth out with soap !!!! It will all come in useful for...... something....... Honest. :tinfoil
That is the trouble,isnt it? :lol: I have a lot of bicycle parts,extra tools and such,that are no longer needed.Since packing up the bike repairs,it is all gathering dust.Same with fishing tackle too.We have a council run bike workshop for wayward kids etc. So I will donate all that to them.Similarly,we have a disabled angling club that can use the fishing kit.Might as well get some use from it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Good drills Jansman, it will make parting with stuff easier if you know its going to a good home.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I managed to snag 6 packs of 490ml ball preserving jars from HobbyCraft at half price (£7 rather than the usual rip-off £14) in readiness for borrowing my parents All American pressure canner for the next week or so to give it a try (they're visiting from Ireland & I persuaded mum to bring it, drop it off on the way down to my brothers, then pick it up on the return trip next weekend :-) )

Main priority is to try canning chicken (so will pop to CostCo this afternoon to pick up some bulk chicken breast) as that's what I use most of weekly but would love to try a chilli recipe as well & see how it is months from now.

They're also bringing the Royal Berkey that I'm trading for a couple of 7000kva UPS units that they can make good use of...
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I didn't realise it was a prep until I was there, but last week I went to Mainland Orkney for a holiday. Totally fell in love with the place and I could see myself living there one day. It's a beautiful bit of the world and the people are lovely. I felt like it was somewhere a person could make a good life for themselves.

Although, my head caught up with my heart and reminded me that I will have to visit again in the winter to make sure I still like the place! :lol:
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Sorted out some space in the garage for my "Brexipreps" ( Love that term ukpreppergrrl - you're fab!) And began filling a crate with a few jars of pesto, olives etc and bought a large 3 kg bag of pasta and put that in a lidded storage box (in case of rodents.) Next week's food shop will add to it, a little week by week. Now I have cleared some space, I can move the cartons of juice and bottles of water from under the spare bed into the garage. I like it when I get organised. I knew there was a reason I have a term time only job even though my kids are now out at work - it gives me a good chunk of time to do "stuff"!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hidden storage at the back of my big bookcase has proved worth its weight in gold after I reorganised it and listed the contents. Maybe not gold, actually, but pickled beetroot and brined olives, for sure :mrgreen:

Plus, I was out yesterday having a play at a local village, and found a garden centre selling off their herbs - 3 mint, and a fennel - the fennel will go in a container, I moved here with loads and the claggy soil killed them all :( I'll use it in future years for the fronds, not the bulb. I saw Monty Don growing a dozen or so in a very small space on Gardeners World t'other day, does anyone on here do that?
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I grew the bulb type fennel some years ago and the house over the road has a huge clump that they don't mind me taking fronds from as they never use it. I'd say there's probably more people who dislike the flavour than those who do. Certainly in my own family I was the only one who liked it , everybody else turns the nose up at it which is probably why I don't bother with it anymore although your post might just prompt me to plant a limited amount.