Diy 6x6 pickup build

Logistics and Transport
Jshaul95

Diy 6x6 pickup build

Post by Jshaul95 »

hi all so I'm planning on building my own 6x6.Have welding and fab skills-equipment just wondering if anyone has done this on here?
or a 4x4 build etc looking at going for a double cab and a average size-small flat bed in the back or a full built cabin. What are your thoughts if you could build anything your imagination lets you?

also leaning more towards petrol as fuel...
would love to hear your thoughts and ideas please
preparedsurrey

Re: Diy 6x6 pickup build

Post by preparedsurrey »

Does it need to be road legal now or just a toy and useful if SHTF?
If it needs to be road legal you would be better buying something like a Carmichael 6 wheel range rover fire tender and modifying that, without a LOT of research, hardwork and expense it's unlikely anything self built will meet the BIVA requirements to be registered for normal road use.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
unsure

Post by unsure »

have you considered a 110 or 130 double cab .
best of both , 4x4 on the road , seats 5 and small pick up back end with a soft cover .

https://picclick.co.uk/Land-Rover-Defen ... id=1&pid=4
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .

Post by 90. »

All depends on what your using as a base vehicle and if you intend the 3rd axle to be driven.

regards
Jshaul95

Post by Jshaul95 »

thanks will have a look at them and yes I indeed it to be a true 6x6 and road legal. I've been thinking off the jaguar x type drivetrain over a custom build chassis and cab. inc a 3rd driven axle via a transfer box
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

I would go over to the rods'n'sods forum and research what is required to build a vehicle that will meet the requirements of the BIVA test to be registered to use on the road.
Alternatively have a read of this thread: http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... ly-arrived
Which details some if the hoops to jump through after his original registration was cancelled due to the modifications.

I've obviously got no idea of your background or abilities but it would be easy to pour £1000s into something you could only ever use at a 4x4 pay and play site.
It might be easier using a through axle rather than an additional box for the drive to the rear axle but I'm struggling to think of a light comercial that used that set up.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Jshaul95

Post by Jshaul95 »

Perfect will check both off them out :D thanks a lot for the help much appreciated
unsure

Post by unsure »

might be worth looking at a volvo c306 for a few ideas .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Jshaul95

Post by Jshaul95 »

perfect for looking at yes. pretty much same as initially planed just a ton lighter haha.
thanks again to all
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

A few years ago I remember reading about a guy who who did something similar using 1 and a 1/2 land rover chassis and hydraulic suspension to lift an axle to give better turning. Huge amount of work tho