I'm new here, and a new prepper too!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
DoktorMeot

I'm new here, and a new prepper too!

Post by DoktorMeot »

Hi all,

I've just signed up to the site and this is my first post. Hello!

I'm a fairly new prepper. I've not much family left and I'm recently a single mum - the only person responsible for mine and my son's survival in an emergency!

That thought scared me into becoming a prepper, to be honest. I used to have my dad, or my son's dad, to help deal with any crisis or emergency, but sadly no longer do.

I guess I'm prepping for loss of income, loss of power, fire, being snowed in or just being housebound generally. Also food chain disruption is concerning for me.

My son is 2 years old and needs me to be prepped! He also hit my phone and submitted this post by accident about half way through - so apologies for the half message/duplicate!
jansman

Re: I'm new here, and a new prepper too!

Post by jansman »

Welcome.The things you are prepping for are certainly the most important,and most likely too! Have a read,ask questions and spend nothing until you have asked here! :lol: Its easy to spend hard won cash on stuff you *might*need.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum - and good for you for taking charge of your situation, especially with a young child that you're responsible for.

Totally with jansman when he says check here before you purchase anything, you're prepping for the simple everyday emergencies that happen all the time, they need very little extra kit. The only immediate purchase I'd recommend is a few 2 litre bottles of still water the next time you visit a supermarket (basic brand, these are 20p each) - if you have a water main break between now and when you get set up the way you want to be set up, you'll have something to fall back on. The bowsers/stand pipes don't always appear when they should!

Other than that, have a read through, see what interests you/what you think is important, and take it from there.

PS - or if you use any drink that's bought in strong plastic, like fruit juice, wash the bottles out thoroughly, dry them, and fill them from your kitchen tap :)
DoktorMeot

Post by DoktorMeot »

Thanks for your replies, Jansman & Arzosah!

I have a cupboard in my hall where I could easily store some water bottles. I'll get some water while out today.

And will definitely ask here before splashing out - I actually have a question about getting alternate passports for post Brexit, just in case we want to go! I'm off to look for the appropriate board for it, if I can't find it, I'll get back to you here!

Thanks ;)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

On the water front.. Morrisons do 5l square bottled water which fit perfectly under the kitchen units if your kick boards pull off..
Water is heavy so best stored on the floor not on shelves ;)

On the fire front. ..

Put out of reach any matches or lighters

Unplug electrical stuff when not in use

Keep the house tidy

Get a spare front and back door cut and put a hook in each door frame so you always have a key by the door to get out

Smoke alarms are cheap the fire service will usually come and assess supply and fit free of charge

A fire blanket in the kitchen is a good idea so too is a fire extinguisher on each floor

Loss of power is a "good one" just bare in mind candles are a huge fire risk .. a head torch or 2 and spare batteries rotated so they don't get too old in kids toys then restock
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, hope you find the site useful. The guys have pretty much covered it, take your time and do research for what works for YOU. Places like here and youtube can be good for inspiration but its easy to get carried away. I've done it myself. :oops: Enjoy prepping, not everyone agrees but I think there's a 'hobby' element to it, we wouldn't do it if we hated it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:42 am On the water front.. Morrisons do 5l square bottled water which fit perfectly under the kitchen units if your kick boards pull off..
Water is heavy so best stored on the floor not on shelves ;)

On the fire front. ..

Keep the house tidy

Get a spare front and back door cut and put a hook in each door frame so you always have a key by the door to get out

Smoke alarms are cheap the fire service will usually come and assess supply and fit free of charge

A fire blanket in the kitchen is a good idea so too is a fire extinguisher on each floor

Loss of power is a "good one" just bare in mind candles are a huge fire risk .. a head torch or 2 and spare batteries rotated so they don't get too old in kids toys then restock
Bang on!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:42 am On the water front.. Morrisons do 5l square bottled water which fit perfectly under the kitchen units if your kick boards pull off..
Perfect illustration of why you need to do what works for you, not for other people. I can't use the 5l bottles, because of my arthritic fingers, and I can't even manage to pour from them properly :oops: 2l works for me.
On the fire front. ..

Keep the house tidy
Of course, some things really do apply to all of us!
Have a look at the youtube videos that jansman mentions - a thief can use a bit of wire through your letterbox to lift the key and get in very easily. I saw a locksmith do it to my house in 90 seconds. Now, the key is on the other side of a wall cupboard that hides the electric meter. Still only three feet away from the front door.
So true! Who hasn't *ever* had a power cut? Vanishingly small percentage of the population, thats who! If you're in it for the long haul, though, I'd advise rechargeable batteries ... Eneloops (fourth generation, I think) are a new(ish) technology, holding their charge and discharging a lot less - expensive, mind, but they'll do you for a long time.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:16 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:42 am

Have a look at the youtube videos that jansman mentions - a thief can use a bit of wire through your letterbox to lift the key and get in very easily. I saw a locksmith do it to my house in 90 seconds. Now, the key is on the other side of a wall cupboard that hides the electric meter. Still only three feet away from the front door.
So true! Who hasn't *ever* had a power cut? Vanishingly small percentage of the population, thats who! If you're in it for the long haul, though, I'd advise rechargeable batteries ... Eneloops (fourth generation, I think) are a new(ish) technology, holding their charge and discharging a lot less - expensive, mind, but they'll do you for a long time.
I use a net curtain hook at the top of the side frame unless you know it's there your not going to find it I've sprayed mine with glow in the dark paint too

They would have to fish up wards and back on themselves blindly via the letterbox brush strip (which also deters someone from pushing a burning rag through the letter box) no keyring just the key on a hook...

Want to look more into the lock type a standard euro profile lock can be snapped and the door opened in less than 20 seconds. Or failing that lobbing a brick through the lounge window

We have had about 3 power cuts this year! suppose it all depends on where you live but a torch or 2 handy never go amiss rechargeable batteries are great if you have a way of recharging them off grid
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine