Going away for a few days

How are you preparing
digi

Going away for a few days

Post by digi »

I couldnt really find a section that this would fit into, so if site staff need to move it, no problem :)

Ive worked away a lot, but generally in my van, that i have always had 'kitted out' to an extent, even without thinking of myself as a 'prepper' but never really thinking about having to completley abandon the van as work has always paid for digs and whilst i have always been 'paranoid' )if thats the right word to use) about something happening when im at work. When i at home, I have always had a plan, involving a 100 mile round trip, taking up to 3 days if thats whats needed, but never a plan for 'getting home from work'

Since joining this site, i have adjusted what i carry on the van, as thats where i actually spend over a 3rd of my life, but, at the end of january ill be taken 250 miles away from home, and this thread viewtopic.php?f=39&t=12981 made me think......

If TSHTF then if im in a built up area, i can find true south in the light or dark in seconds, and as long as i know WHERE i am, then i know what way home is (i can make a thread about this if anyone is interested)

Anyway... at the end of jan, ill be 250 miles away from home, 300 miles away from family, and totaly reliant on a 3rd party to get me home. The plan already forming in my mind is, take the 4 person bag from my car, and turn it into a 2 person bag, but, transfer that out of the 30L car bag, into my 50L home BOB along with my actual clothes (and my suit carried on its own;) ) emptying my normal BOB gear out of it first, but adding £200 cash in case i need to buy a bike (if im 100% honest, i would look to steal one first from anywhere i could en route to buying one)

what would an experienced prepper do 'just in case' in a situation like this?
Dave999

Re: Going away for a few days

Post by Dave999 »

Interesting one. I work regularly away from home at the distances you mentioned.
I take it you won't have access to a vehicle when your away? No change of taking your van?
it will be tough carrying enough supplies to get home on foot, especially considering the route home maybe not be 'as the crow flies'.
I guess hitch hiking maybe a good idea if the roads are functioning. May need something to barter with (food, cash)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps and myself have been bantering about GHB contents.We both have different goals.What I would say is,dont be precious about equipment.You need EDC,whatever that may be to you.Clothing against the elements,and a change or two of socks and underwear.WATER.I have 2x1 litre bottles,and plastic bottles are easy to find.A water filter.I have Sawyer minis,but other brands are available.That will make the water part totally sustainable.Chuck in some purification tablets too.Torch and batteries.Mini radio and batteries.Cash.Phone and emergency charger.High calorie,no cook food.A plastic bivi bag.You get the idea.Absolute basics.

In theory,you could carry that lot in your your coat pockets.

For ( me) the aim is to get home fast.I am not going camping,indeed I have caffiene tablets in there to keep me awake! Thats my two penny's worth.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

just took my daughter out for a bike ride - our first together so a little milestone...

pumped up the tyres and checked the the bikes over and whilst out cycling i thought about this thread and other bike / get home threads.

for all those planning on using a bike does anyone pack a bike pump, puncture repair kit, typre levers, spare inner tube, collapsible water bucket for punctures etc. - of course that's not the most important things - a gel saddle would be and a tub of sudocream!!!!!

or do you rely on good fortune of no punctures or "ahem" acquire or buy these on the way...

appreciate packing all the above is taking up space - just wondering really, how granular can you be?..

apologies if this has been posted before....
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

dazthechippy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:27 pm just took my daughter out for a bike ride - our first together so a little milestone...

pumped up the tyres and checked the the bikes over and whilst out cycling i thought about this thread and other bike / get home threads.

for all those planning on using a bike does anyone pack a bike pump, puncture repair kit, typre levers, spare inner tube, collapsible water bucket for punctures etc. - of course that's not the most important things - a gel saddle would be and a tub of sudocream!!!!!

or do you rely on good fortune of no punctures or "ahem" acquire or buy these on the way...

appreciate packing all the above is taking up space - just wondering really, how granular can you be?..

Its a fair point, I've been aware that a bike ride would considerably shorten a journey and kind of worked on the principle I'd wing bike 'usage' if required in a getting home scenario (I'm looking at a possible 50 mile walk as my regular longest 'get home scenario'). I doubt I'll carry a puncture repair kit but its a very good point.
When I did do a lot more cycling I used to carry a spare inner instead of a collapsible bucket or the like. Sometimes a bit of spit was enough to find the puncture anyway when you found the rough area that it was leaking from.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:01 am What I would say is,dont be precious about equipment.You need EDC,whatever that may be to you.Clothing against the elements,and a change or two of socks and underwear.WATER.I have 2x1 litre bottles,and plastic bottles are easy to find.A water filter.I have Sawyer minis,but other brands are available.That will make the water part totally sustainable.Chuck in some purification tablets too.Torch and batteries.Mini radio and batteries.Cash.Phone and emergency charger.High calorie,no cook food.A plastic bivi bag.You get the idea.Absolute basics.

For ( me) the aim is to get home fast.I am not going camping,indeed I have caffiene tablets in there to keep me awake! Thats my two penny's worth.
For me, its this. In July, I travelled twice between the English south coast and Merseyside, on the train. From Jansman's list, I *didn't* take that much water, or my water filter, though I did have water purification tabs, plus hte other things on the list. And a compass. And a toilet roll :mrgreen: I'd not thought of caffeine tablets, and I really like the sound of that.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:21 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:01 am What I would say is,dont be precious about equipment.You need EDC,whatever that may be to you.Clothing against the elements,and a change or two of socks and underwear.WATER.I have 2x1 litre bottles,and plastic bottles are easy to find.A water filter.I have Sawyer minis,but other brands are available.That will make the water part totally sustainable.Chuck in some purification tablets too.Torch and batteries.Mini radio and batteries.Cash.Phone and emergency charger.High calorie,no cook food.A plastic bivi bag.You get the idea.Absolute basics.

For me, its this. In July, I travelled twice between the English south coast and Merseyside, on the train. From Jansman's list, I *didn't* take that much water, or my water filter, though I did have water purification tabs, plus hte other things on the list. And a compass. And a toilet roll :mrgreen: I'd not thought of caffeine tablets, and I really like the sound of that.
And I forgot the toilet roll. :?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

For toilet paper I have keep some of these in my pockets and rucksack(s).

You can fit them in bags a lot easier than a toilet roll and they're a bit more discreet. The cheap shops are the place to go for them.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

dazthechippy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:27 pm just took my daughter out for a bike ride - our first together so a little milestone...

Don't forget a chain tool and quick links

A spare mech hanger

Spoke key
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
korolev

Post by korolev »

Deeps wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:32 am For toilet paper I have keep some of these in my pockets and rucksack(s).

You can fit them in bags a lot easier than a toilet roll and they're a bit more discreet. The cheap shops are the place to go for them.
Get a toilet roll, unroll it off the cardboard tube, roll it back up again tightly and stick it inside the cardboard tube. Takes about the same space as one of those tissue packs.