BBC News link - 10,000 sq ft bunker

Homes and Retreats
Dave999

BBC News link - 10,000 sq ft bunker

Post by Dave999 »

xplosiv1

Re: BBC News link - 10,000 sq ft bunker

Post by xplosiv1 »

I can remember watching a documentary about that on the discovery channel years ago , the place was falling apart then I can only imagine what it looks like now
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
unsure

Post by unsure »

i remember watching about it not long ago.
as all ready been said .
it was falling to bits then .i would`nt like to be stuck down there for any lenth of time
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I remember seeing it too and I always wondered what the difference is between burying a bus and burying a shipping container , neither seem designed to bear much weight on their roofs. That aside I couldn't really see how he had sealed one bus to another with any degree of efffectiveness.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

Yes, I'm very sceptical of the structural integrity and ensuring the ground water doesn't penetrate in. Then there is the corrosion problem, especially if there is nothing to manage the ground water. Got my Civil Engineering brain working.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

grenfell wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:21 pm I remember seeing it too and I always wondered what the difference is between burying a bus and burying a shipping container , neither seem designed to bear much weight on their roofs. That aside I couldn't really see how he had sealed one bus to another with any degree of efffectiveness.

Not an engineer but it seems to me the principal difference is that the sides and top of a container are non-loadbearing, with just the corner pillars designed to take weight. Whereas a school bus is designed as a hard shell to protect the squashy contents inside.

But yeah, loads of questions about strucural integrity, corrosion, systems under load etc. I mean condensation alone would be a huge problem to manage very quickly unless there's some good aircon?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

featherstick wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am I mean condensation alone would be a huge problem to manage very quickly unless there's some good aircon?
Could always wind down a window.....

:lol:
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Deeps wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 am
featherstick wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am I mean condensation alone would be a huge problem to manage very quickly unless there's some good aircon?
Could always wind down a window.....

:lol:
Some sort of submariners' joke, I imagine? :D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

No, the 'bunker' is made of buses, just being daft.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

featherstick wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am
grenfell wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:21 pm I remember seeing it too and I always wondered what the difference is between burying a bus and burying a shipping container , neither seem designed to bear much weight on their roofs. That aside I couldn't really see how he had sealed one bus to another with any degree of efffectiveness.

Not an engineer but it seems to me the principal difference is that the sides and top of a container are non-loadbearing, with just the corner pillars designed to take weight. Whereas a school bus is designed as a hard shell to protect the squashy contents inside.

But yeah, loads of questions about strucural integrity, corrosion, systems under load etc. I mean condensation alone would be a huge problem to manage very quickly unless there's some good aircon?
No I'm not an engineer either although my working life has given me a bit of an insight into structural work and I really wouldn't want to put money on it. As you say it's the corners that take the load on a container whereas a bus will have a skin supported on ribs , but then the sides at least of a container are corrrugated and the steel is generally thicker than vehicle skin . And how the windows figure in this is another thing. Needs someone with more expertise and a slide rule than me to work it all out.
Personally I still think there are more negatives than positives and the amount of work involved in getting it to work seems immense.