Importing "prepper" food & import duty?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
mushroom

Re: Importing "prepper" food & import duty?

Post by mushroom »

A couple of years ago I ordered some jerky / long life meat snacks etc from the USA for my preps... I really wouldn't bother again. My order was only worth £15 as I was intending keeping it under the threshold for Customs taxes & VAT. With the exchange rate, it worked out at a few pence over the £15 and I can't remember how much I was stung for, but it worked out almost as much as the order as they had a minimum fee! It was a bit of a hassle, expensive and when I got the products some of the expiry dates were ridiculously soon given it was a long life product! I'd stick closer to home... Conserve.de do some very good organic meats if you want something of a higher quality but to be honest, having tried both, I stick to our own supermarket stuff or Mountain House now.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I have a memory of trying beef jerky & it being like chewing an old shoe so not currently on my "go-to" list :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:45 pm I have a memory of trying beef jerky & it being like chewing an old shoe so not currently on my "go-to" list :)
My homemade stuff needs a lot of spit to soften. It has lasted though, its quite a few years old now.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Deeps wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 pm
peejay wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:45 pm I have a memory of trying beef jerky & it being like chewing an old shoe so not currently on my "go-to" list :)
My homemade stuff needs a lot of spit to soften. It has lasted though, its quite a few years old now.
Like my shoes? :lol: :lol:
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 pm

I see where Peejay is coming from here but have to say if old shoes tasted like much the jerky or billtong they wouldn't get thrown out :lol:
I have all but given up on it as a prep though it disappears before it'd be needed, the spices on the other hand they are what you need to stockpile, so as you can make jerky if circumstances necessitate, on a similar topic I never did get that Pemmican out to try.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Well known on the re-enactment scene is Martin Cowley who produces a range of jerky and fruit leathers. I've kept some for two years or more without problem frankly the lifespan of most of his stuff is rarely longer than the weekend as it's really nice and is normally scoffed the same day.
Here's a link,
http://cowleysfinefood.com/jerky-and-meaty.html
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:23 pm Not trying to push the veggie option but a large chunk of the worlds population live on a largely veggie diet because they have to. It will keep you alive although I've said often enough in the past that I could be a veggie any day of the week, just not every day. ;)
I would not buy US meat.Even Spam.The reason the EU has refused their meat is because it is pumped full of growth hormones,and hormone ' tenderisers'.It is toxic shite.As a Career Butcher,I would sooner eat a vegetarian diet than that crap! And it IS crap,I dealt with some back in the 80's and I could not believe such rubbish was allowed on the market!

My Wife is semi vegetarian,and that's cool.As Deeps pointed out,a good portion of the world are non meat eaters.Great,they live

Sadly,the USA may be our main supplier.God help us.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Thanks for the insider POV jansman, I have no good reason to disagree/argue with you. Looks like I'll probably be finding a way to get myself a pressure canner at a vaguely sensible price then (plus some of the freeze-dried options).
peejay

Post by peejay »

Hmm, don't shout at me jansman but I came across this in Costco today & couldn't help buying a pack to give it a taste-test.

Source from USA <ducks swiftly> but just want to get a "feel" for the stuff.

My parents are visiting in a few weeks. If I don't get hold of a pressure-canner before then I'm going to ask her to bring hers so I can try doing a few jars of my own as a test...

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatu ... 34960.html
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Not quite 'import' but I tried a couple of cans of cheap tins of minced pork designed for the Polish market. I wasn't impressed (and I'm pretty easily pleased) but the dugs are loving it. :lol: Generally I prefer non canned meat but hey, I'll give most things a go, this one didn't work for me.... The search continues.