Winter.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Winter.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:33 pmBeen meaning to do it for a couple of years. :oops:

They are sh1t I have one below about 6-8 degrees the butane begins to freeze in the cartridge

Best off getting a calor heater and a propane bottle (and matching regulator not technically legal in a dwelling but fine in a detached garage)

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/quest-large-g ... er-p431458
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Looked at the bigger ones Andy but they're not for us. This would very much be a 'just in case' because I have plenty of the fuel anyway.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

I've been looking at more preventative weather protection for when it eventually turns, as it'll no doubt be thunderstorms and heavy prolonged rain leading to flooding, so looking at renewing the roof covering on the shed and making sure gutters are clear, slates are all in place and none loose, and drainpipes all clear and not full of dry leaves and crap.

Then it'll be washing out the water butt and making sure the filters are clean and flowing...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:04 pm
Deeps wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:33 pmBeen meaning to do it for a couple of years. :oops:

They are sh1t I have one below about 6-8 degrees the butane begins to freeze in the cartridge

Best off getting a calor heater and a propane bottle (and matching regulator not technically legal in a dwelling but fine in a detached garage)

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/quest-large-g ... er-p431458
Agreed Andy,they are shi! Mine was a waste of 15 quid.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I spent a little time cutting and stacking wood this weekend too. Most of my supplies come from stuff salvaged at work , either offcuts , timber ripped out ( but not painted or treated ) or branches trimmed from trees and so on . It the case of the green wood it's more than likely to be fuel for next year rather than this.
Push comes to shove I have four full 15kg butane cylinders sitting ready as well.
Years ago we used to have propane heaters in site huts at work. They were nicknamed "motorbikes" because of the pulsing throb sound that came from them.
General DeGaulle

Post by General DeGaulle »

Not sure how things are in the UK, but the Lidle and Aldi Supermarkets over here are currently selling off their litre bottles of barbecue lighting fluid for a euro each ( Thats about... well, a pound now!). I just bought a dozen - this stuff does the job just as well as lamp oil and paraffin.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

General DeGaulle wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:39 pm Not sure how things are in the UK, but the Lidle and Aldi Supermarkets over here are currently selling off their litre bottles of barbecue lighting fluid for a euro each ( Thats about... well, a pound now!). I just bought a dozen - this stuff does the job just as well as lamp oil and paraffin.

Didn't see any in our local but left with a 4 1/2" angle grinder and a few boxes of discs today ...

Walked into the house and the Mrs has some metal fencing that needs cutting :lol:

izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Got 2 x 13.5 tog.kingsize duvets in tescos reduced to £10. That should help keep us toastie this winter. Can you put two duvets on a bed at once? :?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

izzy_mack wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:08 pm Got 2 x 13.5 tog.kingsize duvets in tescos reduced to £10. That should help keep us toastie this winter. Can you put two duvets on a bed at once? :?

Try a queen size cover and safety pin the corners of the 2 quilts

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

izzy_mack wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:08 pm Got 2 x 13.5 tog.kingsize duvets in tescos reduced to £10. That should help keep us toastie this winter. Can you put two duvets on a bed at once? :?
Indeed you can. As long as you can take the weight. You might find it too constrictive.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.