What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by grenfell »

Cubbies? Got to ask as a google just brings up shelf units.
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

grenfell wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:23 pm Cubbies? Got to ask as a google just brings up shelf units.
I was trying to think how to explain so googled a picture but can't figure out how so here is a link.
https://goo.gl/images/LRkQyK

I get them locally used for £2 each rinse them out. Wouldn't want to use them for water as I'm not certain what has been in them before but fine for biodiesel.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Carrying on with sorting out our storage. The pantry looks so much better and more organised. I need to sort out bulk storage too, rice , pasta etc. Also , I want to create a ‘charging station ‘ for my rechargeable batteries. I picked up a solar charger last week at The Range. It comprises a 4w panel with a generous lead, a battery and charge control combined, two led lights to plug into it, ( with generous leads and switches), and a multi - head USB lead. £14.95! I am currently charging my kindle with it. Rather impressive for my first foray into solar power.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Zunzuncito

Post by Zunzuncito »

Thanks for all the congrats folks and the helpful advice. Featherstick that book sounds an interesting read so I've added it to my Amazon wish list so I don't forget what its called.

I'm totally on board with the second hand side of things - I hate waste and the whole consumerism thing that goes with having a new baby is ridiculous, you guys are right they make you feel like you need all this 'stuff' and brand new otherwise your child will be unwell and you a terrible parent. All nonsense. I haven't bought anything yet and am trying to reign in my mother and mother-in-law from buying God knows what.

I've already made a list of what essentials I think we'll need for the new little one, plus started to think about my hospital bag and one for the hubby as what Yorkshire Andy said about the Dad being abandoned I have heard from quite a few of my male friends who are Dads and I know my other half will be nervous as hell.

The hot weather has not been my friend,I'm not a fan of the heat anyway but being pregnant its so much worse - plus with an 1.5hr commute each way to work on trains that don't know what aircon is has been a struggle! Its not helped my temper either and I did shout at a man on the train the other day as he had his feet on the seats and was plenty old enough to know better!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Her Maj is off tomorrow and I've been dragooned into going to the allotment. Need to up my dehydrating too, apart from replenishing my hill walking meals I've been pretty lazy on that front. Got lots of onions to get done so maybe tuesday when she's back to work.

A sort of prep, I've been dumping loads of stuff in the dinning room and she's pushing me to get it stowed. It will be one less place for my walking gear to be searched when I'm packing a bag.
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

Lidl have powder fire extinguishers in so picked one up for the caravan. Not glamourous like a extra 20 tins of spam but useful non the less.

The caravan is our bug out plan if we need to leave the house it's stocked with food (and beer) for at least a week plus usually a couple changes of clothes. Ok it's really packed so we can come home from work on a Friday and be on the road for a weekend away in less than 30 mins. But it would still work as a bug out plan give me an hours notice and I should have most of our food stock packed in as well. And we are off to a local camp site or where ever need too look at a solar panel to top up the battery though.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I used three dry powder extinguishers back at the beginning of the year to put out a car fire.WELL worthwhile!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Prepping_Al wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:06 pm Lidl have powder fire extinguishers in so picked one up for the caravan. Not glamourous like a extra 20 tins of spam but useful non the less.

The caravan is our bug out plan if we need to leave the house it's stocked with food (and beer) for at least a week plus usually a couple changes of clothes. Ok it's really packed so we can come home from work on a Friday and be on the road for a weekend away in less than 30 mins. But it would still work as a bug out plan give me an hours notice and I should have most of our food stock packed in as well. And we are off to a local camp site or where ever need too look at a solar panel to top up the battery though.

On the caravan front took my folding camper to the public weigh bridge £6 well spent to find I was right on the mgw :oops:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
peejay

Post by peejay »

We've been away for 9 nights in the 'van whilst I'm working away from home. Work didn't go as planned so ended up extending by a couple of nights. I always ensure I have a few extra sets of cloths full-stop but OH has ended up getting low on her usual meds so will make sure in future she brings some extra rather than running close to the line.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

My P/R campaign on Her Maj seems to have worked, suggested we could do with some more tuna as we're going through it. Normally she'll just bang on about the "million tins in the garage" but no, she was fine and didn't bat an eyelid as I was putting more pasta,sunflower oil, beetroot etc etc in the trolley. Hopefully she's been swapped for one of those Stepford jobs, I could cope with that. :lol:

Most of my prepping has been put on the back burner because of the World Cup so I'll have no excuses tomorrow. :( Loads more onions to dehydrate and need to re-re-reorganise my stores, definitely a weak point of mine. :oops: