Hello from Kent

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
ScaredyPuppy

Hello from Kent

Post by ScaredyPuppy »

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing your forums as i've been starting to think more about general preparedness (or our lack of) over the last week or so. It seems like the polite thing to register and introduce myself, and it also gives me the chance to thank everyone who has posted the useful information that i'm lapping up. I'm 41, living with my partner in Kent, no children but 2 dogs. I'm not thinking about a doomsday scenario or a zombie apocalpse, just trying to be more like my parents who always seem to be prepared for every eventuality (even if they do panic buy bread and milk on a bank holiday weekend :roll: )

I've been spurred into action after realising my food cupboard was almost bare when I had to make a mid-cooking dash to the shop for tinned tomatoes. We were pretty well set when "the beast" came last winter, but I have become lax since then and just shop for what I need on a weekly (or even daily) basis. So the short-term plan is to restock the basics and eventually get to a point (hopefully before next winter) where I have a couple of weeks worth of long-life food in the house. I've made an inventory of what I do have, started a list of things I want to get, and cleared some space in the spare room. Can't quite face digging through the freezer, but that's the next job on the list. The non-food stash seems pretty healthy, so the focus will be on adding a few edibles with each shop.

For the medium term (and also before winter), I'll be wanting to think about what to do in the case of utility failures. We're quite lucky and it's not been a problem in the past, but a few candles in the cutlery drawer isn't really being prepared for a blackout. The other half is on board with the food plan, though I suspect that's just because food is my department. I've mentioned in the past about plans for powercuts, or having an emergency kit in the car, and he's always sniffed at the idea and suggested I worry too much, so not sure how to deal with that aspect. I think he might need to be personally affected by a power outage or being stranded in the car before he'll take it seriously. But one thing at a time.

Regards
Deeps

Re: Hello from Kent

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you know where you are and where you want to be, a good start. Glad this place has been of use, take your time and figure out the stuff that works for you, its easy to get sucked into getting stuff that looks cool but you might not need. Enjoy the process too, its satisfying to learn new stuff and gain confidence.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome. Regarding power cuts: you have the candles,do you have matches? I am not a fan of candles personally,too much of a firehazard,but they have been around since year dot and work..LED camping lanterns are cheap,and the batteries last ages.So there you go,get a box of matches,LED light and spare batteries,and you can see when the lights go off.Chuck in a little radio that uses the same batteries,and you can find out whats happening.You may already have these items.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ScaredyPuppy

Post by ScaredyPuppy »

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I do have matches (and kept with the candles). I am a little concerned about the fire hazard aspect, particulary with dogs about, but I've been generally burying my head in the sand about the prospect of emergencies and what do in one. I have been looking today at torches and lanterns. A radio is a great idea, so used to just listening through the tv or computer, we don't even own a battery one. Looking further ahead, I don't think there's any way we can safely heat the place without electric, so will be starting to think about how we can both keep warm in winter. I get cold even with several layers and the heating on, so that will require some thought :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

You can get a little transistor fm radio for a tenner or so.So simple.As for heating,you know your own home and its power sources.Do you have a chimney? Could you install an open fire or stove? Have you looked at portable gas heaters?

Whatever you do,start slowly and as Deeps pointed out,don't get enticed into buying unnecessary stuff.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ScaredyPuppy

Post by ScaredyPuppy »

No chimney or way to have an open fire unfortunately. I will look at the gas heater options in more detail closer to winter time. Until I had a quick google just now, I did not realise this was even an option - thank you :D
Also thanks for the advice to take it slowly. I can see how tempting it is to jump straight in the deep end.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Do your own research, you can shop around but here's an example of a portable heater that you can get the canisters from a LOT of the cheap shops.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTABLE-GAS ... SwBXhbB-YR

As for emergency cooking, you can pick up the briefcase cookers for a tenner and they use the same fuel canisters.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Cam ... 5b3bb9a1e2

I'm feeling ripped off, these are 8 quid.

As you say, you've got all summer to do your research, if you take a couple of marching passes to think about things, you'll know what works best for you.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:51 pm Do your own research, you can shop around but here's an example of a portable heater that you can get the canisters from a LOT of the cheap shops.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTABLE-GAS ... SwBXhbB-YR

As for emergency cooking, you can pick up the briefcase cookers for a tenner and they use the same fuel canisters.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Cam ... 5b3bb9a1e2

I'm feeling ripped off, these are 8 quid.
And free postage. Double bubble! :mrgreen: