How skilled are you?

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
MBJ

Re: How skilled are you?

Post by MBJ »

sethorly wrote:The two most vital categories are at the bottom.
If more points were awarded for the more vital skills I think it would matter, but since you get 1 point for each skill I don't see how it would effect your final score.
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

I've really enjoyed reading this thread.

I fully agree with Deeps and Yorkshire Andy's comments though.

I scored quite highly, however unless you know the bigger picture of the given situation you can never fully score yourself.

Take section 1, Air. Respirators and the bumf that goes with them are all well and good but I feel are ultimately useless. I've got vacuum sealed full NBC Kit, GSR (properly fitted), 8 filters (4x2's) and just almost 750g of fullers earth/decontamination kit plus tester papers and kit. I also know how to use every item.

The problem is, by the time I'm aware I need to don the gear, got it out (it is easily accessible), tear the vacuum bags off, open the kit, climb in, do up, seal myself I'll be dead & my wife will be wasting her final breaths ripping the piss out of me laughing.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
MBJ wrote:

37. Knowledge of how to use a compass. Can draw ace circles

:lol:
How did I miss this the first time I read it.

OperationPrep

Post by OperationPrep »

I’m going to go through this in detail when I have some spare time, note my score, and then every 3 months review my previous score against a retest and see if I am indee£ gaining the skills and knowledge that may be required! Love this
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

OperationPrep wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:17 pm I’m going to go through this in detail when I have some spare time, note my score, and then every 3 months review my previous score against a retest and see if I am indee£ gaining the skills and knowledge that may be required! Love this
Its not a competition mate, its whatever works for YOU, not anyone else. If you're idea of prepping is 5 days food and a healthy stash of first aid and a couple of torches because that's all you need then you're a prepper.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Good to see a basic check list of what we do / dont need to cover, but found that life skills built up over the last 50 years applied to many. Cant imagine trying to learn all the skills ina relativly short period though.

"The problem is, by the time I'm aware I need to don the gear, got it out (it is easily accessible), tear the vacuum bags off, open the kit, climb in, do up, seal myself I'll be dead & my wife will be wasting her final breaths ripping the piss out of me laughing."

Loved that comment :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 pm Good to see a basic check list of what we do / dont need to cover, but found that life skills built up over the last 50 years applied to many. Cant imagine trying to learn all the skills ina relativly short period though.

"The problem is, by the time I'm aware I need to don the gear, got it out (it is easily accessible), tear the vacuum bags off, open the kit, climb in, do up, seal myself I'll be dead & my wife will be wasting her final breaths ripping the piss out of me laughing."

Loved that comment :lol: :lol: :lol:
Its a pretty good example of where you draw the line prepping wise. To sustain life after a nuclear exchange would require a massive amount of support, even if you had it in place before hand it will require backup. If its for you then fair do's, I can think of much better ways to spend money, even on preps, never mind booze and titty bars etc. :lol: