Portable solar battery packs

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Portable solar battery packs

Post by jansman »

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2139531294

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of kit? There seems to be many variations on the theme, all of them are Chinese ( but isn’t everything?) For emergency lighting and USB charging this seems useful.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Re: Portable solar battery packs

Post by Deeps »

Not tried them but looked at something similar in the past, was about a hundred quid so the one you've linked is cheaper.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I've had a couple of solar phone chargers and found them a bit "meh". One of them, a Freeloader, had an external panel, about 10x7 inches, and it didn't put enough into the battery in a day to fully charge a phone at night. This was in August in Turkey.
Technology might have come on a bit but I'm still very sceptical and I think I would go for a hand-crank over solar.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I have the RavPower 24w panel which seems to do quite well. 3 USB outputs so I have 2 USB battery banks anyway & have used it to charge these. Easily get max 2.4a out of it in good sun so capable of charging as quickly as (most) wall-plug chargers.

Advantage of separate panel/power banks is I can add to the power banks if I choose.
Currently £62 at Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-UK-RP ... ower+solar
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

£60 seems a lot for a 4Ah battery life. Here is a 7Ah one sold from a UK seller for an extra tenner.

https://powapacs.co.uk/index.php/product/pp07/

I've got my eye on the Atom. :mrgreen:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
hobo

Post by hobo »

peejay wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:21 am I have the RavPower 24w panel which seems to do quite well. 3 USB outputs so I have 2 USB battery banks anyway & have used it to charge these. Easily get max 2.4a out of it in good sun so capable of charging as quickly as (most) wall-plug chargers.

Advantage of separate panel/power banks is I can add to the power banks if I choose.
Currently £62 at Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-UK-RP ... ower+solar
Ditto. I use a RAVPower 26800mAh power bank. Currently £37 from Amazon.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've got a 14W 'camping' panel and a load of power banks and battery chargers that can be usb powered. Great for small devices and I've plenty rechargeable battery lanterns but not so good for stuff that needs a wee bit more oomph. Still need to get my finger out and do my semi permanent off grid line up, World Cup will probably push that back a month now. :oops:

Alternatives and spare capacity are never a bad thing though so the set up Jansman linked interests me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Great info there folks Thanks.I am no technology expert,so I am looking for simple answers.Our power needs will be simple in a powercut.Mobile phones,batteries for lighting and fm/digital radios ( two way if mobiles are out).Freezers will hold for 24 hours,fridge I have a low tech alternative.In Winter ,refrigeration would not be an issue.Heating and hot water would be wood /coal fired.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

My "kit"

Folding solar panel from Lidl 2 years or so ago

3x lithium packs 5200mah @3.7v

2 light bulbs from Amazon

And 2 long usb extension cables

Plus assorted USB cables for charging
IMG_20180614_201343633.jpg

I've also added a permanent live cigarette lighter socket in my car boot so I can charge stuff via car adaptors
IMG_20180614_202531926.jpg

Nothing too technical there I hope ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

That looks quite simple Yorkshire Andy.So you charge the battery packs directly from the panel? I take it that the USB cable plugs straight into the panel and to the battery? No charge regulator as if it were to a leisure battery?

Robert Frost.

Me.