Quantities of medicines

Medical and Healthcare
ParamedicPrepper

Quantities of medicines

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

I know we have talked about the availability of OTC medicines before but how many should you stock?

If you think about something like paracetamol. 2 tabs max 4 times a day. So 8 tabs a day per person. 16 in a box it will last two days. So you get the flu/cold and take for three days to help symptoms. A couple days later the another family member does the same. 3 boxes of paracetamol gone.

Kids calpol/generic paracetamol. A 6 year old can have 40ml a day. 100ml in a bottle. Two and a half days out of a bottle!

The list goes on. I always think of how many days i will get out of a med (if using as label says) and then think how many people you are prepping for. It doesn’t stretch as far as you think
Deeps

Re: Quantities of medicines

Post by Deeps »

Totally agree, we're in the habit of buying a couple packets of brufin every time we go to the shops, it helps that we both use brufin at times but I also keep up my stocks of paracetamol too. Same with anti histamines etc. I often buy 5 packets of 30 anti histamine tablets at a time. Same with all the meds we're not restricted on. Could do with upping my cocodamol though, not that I've ever used it but you never know.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:43 pm Totally agree, we're in the habit of buying a couple packets of brufin every time we go to the shops, it helps that we both use brufin at times but I also keep up my stocks of paracetamol too. Same with anti histamines etc. I often buy 5 packets of 30 anti histamine tablets at a time. Same with all the meds we're not restricted on. Could do with upping my cocodamol though, not that I've ever used it but you never know.
I got quizzed big time buying it by the pharmacy and that was with major toothache... Think it was the either you give me a box or I'll pick up a litre of vodka that did it?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:52 pm
Deeps wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:43 pm Totally agree, we're in the habit of buying a couple packets of brufin every time we go to the shops, it helps that we both use brufin at times but I also keep up my stocks of paracetamol too. Same with anti histamines etc. I often buy 5 packets of 30 anti histamine tablets at a time. Same with all the meds we're not restricted on. Could do with upping my cocodamol though, not that I've ever used it but you never know.
I got quizzed big time buying it by the pharmacy and that was with major toothache... Think it was the either you give me a box or I'll pick up a litre of vodka that did it?
Never got the third degree but I've only ever bought a handful of packets. Maybe I look a bit more upstanding than you mate. :P

A quick edit to add, nobody is going to mistake me for a 'traditional' druggy. :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I was only after one packet in my high vis work gear must have being because it was Friday night :mrgreen:

Brambles

Post by Brambles »

There have been a few of us here who have experienced just how few doses we really have tucked away and as a result we have increased what we store.
I buy packs of 96 Ibuprofen at the chemist and also can get 2 boxes of 32 paracetamol. I don't keep much cocodamol but do store other items. We have a healthy store and now as one pack is used it is replaced like for like.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ParamedicPrepper

Having worked in a community pharmacy 95% of people that come in for pain relief have bo idea what cocodamol is. But they know what nurofen and panadol is! Branding is terrible. We are crap in this country at self care. So if u walk in asking for cocodamol they're probably just shocked u know whatbit is so put you in the druggy class lol

Its the same with first aid dressings and stuff. A nasty cut could take a shit ton of supplies to look after, clean, close and dress for a couple of weeks until healed. Diabetic? You could be 10x the healing time and dressings.

A DIY dressing is a lot cheaper can be made from a half decent cotton bedsheet cut into squares.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ParamedicPrepper wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:43 pm Having worked in a community pharmacy 95% of people that come in for pain relief have bo idea what cocodamol is. But they know what nurofen and panadol is! Branding is terrible. We are crap in this country at self care. So if u walk in asking for cocodamol they're probably just shocked u know whatbit is so put you in the druggy class lol

Its the same with first aid dressings and stuff. A nasty cut could take a shit ton of supplies to look after, clean, close and dress for a couple of weeks until healed. Diabetic? You could be 10x the healing time and dressings.

A DIY dressing is a lot cheaper can be made from a half decent cotton bedsheet cut into squares.

We have had a little first aid shop open recently and since he has our firm on his training list I get a decent discount :D as such I have a BIG pile of wound pads / gauze swabs and the like

You can always boil bandages to clean them ;)

The hydrocolloid dressings are good after the lad had his operation it was left for 2 weeks before removing...

God knows why tsept sachets are pharmacy [p] marked ;)

ParamedicPrepper

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:04 pm
ParamedicPrepper wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:43 pm Having worked in a community pharmacy 95% of people that come in for pain relief have bo idea what cocodamol is. But they know what nurofen and panadol is! Branding is terrible. We are crap in this country at self care. So if u walk in asking for cocodamol they're probably just shocked u know whatbit is so put you in the druggy class lol

We have had a little first aid shop open recently and since he has our firm on his training list I get a decent discount :D as such I have a BIG pile of wound pads / gauze swabs and the like

You can always boil bandages to clean them ;)

The hydrocolloid dressings are good after the lad had his operation it was left for 2 weeks before removing...

God knows why tsept sachets are pharmacy [p] marked ;)
Always helpful having mates rates. I have a bag of tiseot, its not a P tho. I supply them in wound kits i sell and theres no P on mine
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

I got cought out last year when I had a bad back. I was shocked at how quickly we went through paracetamol when I could not get out to replenish stocks. I now keep a minimum of 2 weeks per person of the basics like paracetamol, ibuprofen and stuff for an upset stomach (The basics really) in the house at all times.