Low-cost recipe blog

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
pseudonym

Re: Low-cost recipe blog

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:50 pm
diamond lil wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I do try Deeps - but the recipe in a book and the finished article in this hoose are very often not the same thing. Or anything remotely like it!
That's a "must try harder" on the report card. ;)
I once did a Jamie's 15 minute meal recipe. It took me half an hour. :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:09 pm

I once did a Jamie's 15 minute meal recipe. It took me half an hour. :lol:
Got to be honest, not a fan of the thick tongued fecker. Far better scran assassins out there for this callsign. Ones that don't rely on being 'pukka' for starters. :evil:
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:16 pm I've never known how to use herbs in cooking, wish I did.
Just buy some common ones and throw some in when cooking, if it tastes better/ nice add a little more next time.

I like to chuck a bit of Cajun seasoning over potato wedges and stuff like that. Mixed with sweet chilli sauce it makes a nice marinade for salmon (I may have odd tastes so experiment a bit first)

Oh and 15 minute recipes seem to need at least 20 minutes of preparation before hand....
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:16 pm I've never known how to use herbs in cooking, wish I did.
Have to confess I'm more a spice than herb user. Which is annoying as I grow lots of herbs but rarely use them! Sprig of rosemary roasted with lamb and chicken, mint with boiled potatoes, bay when making stock, sage for sage and onion stuffing and thats about it. I ought to get more adventurous in the meals I cook...but I can't be arsed to faff around with herby potatoes and the like! And garnish is a frippery!!!! It's not like I need "plate appeal" before I will tuck heartily into my nosh! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I've always found with herbs less is more, otherwise you can end up with medicinal stew :? or worse, soapy soup. :shock:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Of course the medicinal flavour can be used for just that.Medicine.
https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/medicinal-herbs/
A fascinating topic.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I used to be really into herbal medicine, have a few books on it and used to make stuff for the kids when they were wee - (you can do a totally fabulous cough mix with Thyme). I do grow herbs, I just can't cook with them. And "just throw some in" does absolutely not work for me, we have many horrible memories due to that :mrgreen:
I really hate the pretentious rubbish in some cookbooks now. Every bloody ingredient has to be organic or wild or distressed or torn. Byt the time I'd got some food on the plate I'd be pretty distressed and wild meself :twisted:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:11 am I used to be really into herbal medicine, have a few books on it and used to make stuff for the kids when they were wee - (you can do a totally fabulous cough mix with Thyme). I do grow herbs, I just can't cook with them. And "just throw some in" does absolutely not work for me, we have many horrible memories due to that :mrgreen:
I really hate the pretentious rubbish in some cookbooks now. Every bloody ingredient has to be organic or wild or distressed or torn. Byt the time I'd got some food on the plate I'd be pretty distressed and wild meself :twisted:
It all depends on your food culture lil.Many folks eat quite a varied ' foreign ' diet these days.I am guessing you eat the way my parents do,which would be fairly ' plain' by todays tastes - and there is nowt wrong with that! As long as you enjoy your grub.

There IS a lot of pretentious nonsense around food these days.I have dealt with some really egotistical chefs down the years,so far up their own ar&es that they cant see their favourite ' celebrity ' chefs on TV! :lol: And therein lies the problem around food these days.Folks think that unless they can cook like the TV chefs,their grub is substandard. On Saturday mornings I get the Ferrari brigade ,who know my job better than me because, " Jamie said"... ;) But it costs'em! Or , "its one of Delia's/Nigella's//Jamie's".And NEVER bring me a picture in a recipe book!

A fishing buddy of mine is a barber.He started in women's hairdressing,but got the sack when a wealthy client brought in a copy of Vogue,and pointed to a photo and said," I want to look ike that" ,to which Paul swiftly replied, " I am a hairdresser love,not a plastic surgeon! " :lol:

That's the sort of reception you get when you shove a recipe book at me!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:14 am
diamond lil wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:11 am I used to be really into herbal medicine, have a few books on it and used to make stuff for the kids when they were wee - (you can do a totally fabulous cough mix with Thyme). I do grow herbs, I just can't cook with them. And "just throw some in" does absolutely not work for me, we have many horrible memories due to that :mrgreen:
It all depends on your food culture lil.Many folks eat quite a varied ' foreign ' diet these days.I am guessing you eat the way my parents do,which would be fairly ' plain' by todays tastes - and there is nowt wrong with that! As long as you enjoy your grub.

There IS a lot of pretentious nonsense around food these days.I have dealt with some really egotistical chefs down the years,so far up their own ar&es that they cant see their favourite ' celebrity ' chefs on TV! :lol: And therein lies the problem around food these days.Folks think that unless they can cook like the TV chefs,their grub is substandard. On Saturday mornings I get the Ferrari brigade ,who know my job better than me because, " Jamie said"... ;) But it costs'em! Or , "its one of Delia's/Nigella's//Jamie's".And NEVER bring me a picture in a recipe book!

A fishing buddy of mine is a barber.He started in women's hairdressing,but got the sack when a wealthy client brought in a copy of Vogue,and pointed to a photo and said," I want to look ike that" ,to which Paul swiftly replied, " I am a hairdresser love,not a plastic surgeon! " :lol:

That's the sort of reception you get when you shove a recipe book at me!
This! ^^
When I compare the recipe book of my mum's with those of today, it's no surprise folk give up or don't even try cooking which is a terrible tragedy. What she would call stew is now ragout and has an additional 20 ingredients and 15 steps in the method. I'm exaggerating slightly, but if people aren't taught the basics of cooking it's a daunting and scary experience picking some recipe books these days and hardly a wonder that ready meals are so popular.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Clarebelle

Post by Clarebelle »

I love to cook and use both herbs and spices in my food as well as for medicinal purposes. I love a herb tea!
One thing that really grinds my gears watching Jamie Oliver is when he gets the salt or some other seasoning and sprinkles it over his food. Every time he does it he says 'do it from a height'. So his arm is up in the air throwing salt all over the damn kitchen, you can see it bouncing around all over the place! I bet it's not him who cleans up the mess!
I have found some great budget meals on netmums in the past that have become family staples.