Low-cost recipe blog

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
featherstick

Low-cost recipe blog

Post by featherstick »

I'm a big fan of Jack Monroe. She has spent a lot of time and energy developing nutritious low-cost recipes for everyone. Here is her recipe blog, I often find inspiration.

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/category/recipes-food/
Brambles

Re: Low-cost recipe blog

Post by Brambles »

Jansman is a big fan of Jack Monroe too. I think he may have linked to her blog as well. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

There are some good ideas there. Especially if you are vegetarian or like her, vegan. From a prepping point of view, she makes meals from very few, and cheap, ingredients. Ideal for using stuff from your store cupboards.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We don't have to cater for kids so its maybe a bit easier but having a healthy stash of herbs, spices and things like chilli and garlic can make most things palatable. Lots of passata too.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:27 am We don't have to cater for kids so its maybe a bit easier but having a healthy stash of herbs, spices and things like chilli and garlic can make most things palatable. Lots of passata too.
That's my philosophy too! Though replace the chilli with cumin and corriander :D I have her new book on pre-order
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:30 pm
Deeps wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:27 am We don't have to cater for kids so its maybe a bit easier but having a healthy stash of herbs, spices and things like chilli and garlic can make most things palatable. Lots of passata too.
That's my philosophy too! Though replace the chilli with cumin and corriander :D I have her new book on pre-order
Partial to both, I have wee vials of herbs I take up the hills with me, can turn a bang average packet pasta into something quite flavoursome.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I've never known how to use herbs in cooking, wish I did.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:16 pm I've never known how to use herbs in cooking, wish I did.
Have you heard of recipes Lil ? Try it as they come and if its not to your taste then tweak it. I'm guessing you do the same with salt and pepper. ;)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: I do try Deeps - but the recipe in a book and the finished article in this hoose are very often not the same thing. Or anything remotely like it!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I do try Deeps - but the recipe in a book and the finished article in this hoose are very often not the same thing. Or anything remotely like it!
That's a "must try harder" on the report card. ;)