What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
grandad

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by grandad »

:D So finally got my first allotment on sunday,been on the list for 18 months ! I have planted toms and cucumber in the greenhouse but the plot is a jungle of weeds.Its 33x50 foot so covered most with tarps and going to dig about a third over first to get some potato and onions going.Can feel my back aching thinking about it !
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

grandad wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:25 am :D So finally got my first allotment on sunday,been on the list for 18 months ! I have planted toms and cucumber in the greenhouse but the plot is a jungle of weeds.Its 33x50 foot so covered most with tarps and going to dig about a third over first to get some potato and onions going.Can feel my back aching thinking about it !
Congratulations! Next year it will be full steam ahead. Don't forget you can plant dwarf beans up to the beginning of july, so there may yet be time for a crop :P
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Brambles wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:37 pm
grandad wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:25 am :D So finally got my first allotment on sunday,been on the list for 18 months ! I have planted toms and cucumber in the greenhouse but the plot is a jungle of weeds.Its 33x50 foot so covered most with tarps and going to dig about a third over first to get some potato and onions going.Can feel my back aching thinking about it !
Congratulations! Next year it will be full steam ahead. Don't forget you can plant dwarf beans up to the beginning of july, so there may yet be time for a crop :P
Yes there's loads you can still get in - dwarf french beans, early (i.e. fast) potatoes such as Rocket if you can cover them later in the season, chard, brassicas for over-wintering, winter radish, lots of asian salad leaves - mizuna, mitsuna, that stuff, beetroot, carrots, courgettes, quick-growing peas. And if you have it cleared but empty come say August, then sow an overwinter green manure - winter tares is great for building fertility for the next year. And later in the year you can plant overwintering broad beans, garlic and onions.

Good news, please for you.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Finally dragged myself into the Smart Phone age :roll:

Will now spend 6 months figuring out how to use it...... whatever happend to user manuals?
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:24 pm Finally dragged myself into the Smart Phone age :roll:

Will now spend 6 months figuring out how to use it...... whatever happend to user manuals?
You are expected to 'know'. :D Once you get the hang,you won't look back.I was like you about a year ago.Mine is vital now to my job,as we all have alarms set for various jobs each day,and I have to keep on top of work related e mail.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

A prep of sorts, got my mum to start keeping cash in the house for emegencies. The TSB IT problems were on the news and that was what started things. It wasn't an issue when my dad was alive, he used to squirrel cash away but the old dear prefers the bank.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Came home today to a huge pile of firewood in the front garden. A quick phone call established which of my mates dropped it off. I never turn down free fuel. :D A job for Sunday morning. :(
Had some silver coins delivered. Nice little stash towards retirement now. Nailed a load of 2 gallon food grade buckets from the bakery at work too. Gonna be useful for stashing pasta and rice over the coming months in the run up to Brexit. If there are any price increases, it will be a sound investment, and if there are no increases we will eat it anyway. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grandad

Post by grandad »

Thankyou for the planting advice everyone all is welcome here on grandads patch.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

The missus and I are taking the last in our six week "streetwise" self defense course on Monday. It's been a great experience learning from these guys, we are considering going onto the next course, one level up.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Perhaps not as glamourous a prep as some but the value of having money to fall back on has been brought home recently . Just before the bank holiday I was involved in an accident. Woman in an Audi came round the corner on my side of the road , hit a parked van and then hit mine . I had stopped when I saw her come round the corner. None of that has stopped her trying to blame me for causing the accident . Anyway the damage seemed minor enough to me , part bumper , headlight and wing the assessment has written the van off and I've been offered what is really quite a low price . Ok so we have rejected the first offer but even if they up it quite a bit it's going to cost me to replace the van . As the van is vital to me making a living having no spare to pay for another would have left me in a retry bad position being almost unable to work.
Money . Number one prep in my eyes. Also going to come in handy as my daughter has had her phone stolen as well this week.