Over focussing on the obvious Medicine supplies

Medical and Healthcare
lsnduck

Re: Over focussing on the obvious Medicine supplies

Post by lsnduck »

Deeps wrote:Yeah, I can't imagine the cat would be up for it, ours would be a nightmare and the chances of doing it a second time would be zero.
We've had to de-tick our moggies a couple of times - girl cat isn't a fan. I kneel down, clamp her between my legs and pin with both hands whilst my wife extracts the critter with tweezers. Boy cat is much more relaxed and trusting, I can just lightly hold him with my hands.

Good call on the deticking devices though, that is another thing on my list.
piglet

Post by piglet »

I spend a lot of time in the countryside. Much of it Deer country, and Lymes disease is getting more common.
So removing ticks is something I have to do from time to time.

I have tried various methods, but recently I have used..... 'O'Tom Tick Twisters's (Ebay)

Very easy to use and very effective at removing the Tick.
Simply engage the jaws and with the device at 90% to the surface of the skin, roll the device between your fingers and it kinds screws the creature out complete with head.
ain't settlin'
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

I recently saw an online video of tick removal using peppermint essential oil. Ticks hate it - put a couple of drops on the tick and within 30 seconds the tick crawls out!!

Anyone seen or tried this method?
Scottish-prepper

Post by Scottish-prepper »

Thanks for starting this thread, this is an area I had overlooked and will look to rectify.
moominmama

Post by moominmama »

I had a long conversation with a colleague from Venezuela, it made me reconsider my 'hoard' and medical supplies, the situation in Venezuela has been going on for a number of years, and for most people it has been impossible to get over the counter medicines such as pain relief, hay fever tables, antiseptic creams, skin creams, vitamins, toothpaste, mouth washes, etc. for the duration of this time. These items are just not available, and when they are they are so expensive they are not affordable.... By the time the situation went from so-so to bad it was too late for people to stock up.

So while I have very limited space available for a hoard / stockpile - what ever you want to call it, I am prioritizing medicine supplies - and shampoo, etc. I am aiming at building up a couple of years worth of things we need or may need. Thankfully I have been able to plan and shop carefully with the aim of building up to it over the next 6 months, and most of it are items we would use anyway so while the initial outlay is expensive, it is not overall costing much.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Interesting observations about how transition from so-so availability to no availability. I have the same sort of expectation for things like coffee and other items that we have no choice but to import from outside Europe, just in case we have massive international trade disorder or war.

Curious, what med supplies are on your list? My list so far is minimal: Pain relief, Imodium, Diarolyte, Vitamins, and a few skin creams. I have a lifetime supply of soap and toothpaste :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 am Interesting observations about how transition from so-so availability to no availability. I have the same sort of expectation for things like coffee and other items that we have no choice but to import from outside Europe, just in case we have massive international trade disorder or war.

Curious, what med supplies are on your list? My list so far is minimal: Pain relief, Imodium, Diarolyte, Vitamins, and a few skin creams. I have a lifetime supply of soap and toothpaste :)
Try this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13151&hilit=Meds+y ... d+all+have

I was a pharmacy tech, now paramedic. If i can be of any help give me a shout! Few other medical minded bods on here too
moominmama

Post by moominmama »

apologies for delay in replying, been a busy few weeks, and have had IT issues.

as an aside -yes, I am also stocking up on lots of things I think will increase in price, such as tea, coffee beans and wine! I have 48 bottles of wine arriving soon, but storage is getting to be an issue...

this is my current list, but I keep adding to it, and increasing the quantity held, some of it not medicine but I include in medicine/personal care list. it does not include bandages, plasters, etc., as I have a reasonable supply of these and not planning on increasing as we do not use that often in the way that we may need the following and storage space is limited
hayfever tables
aspirin
baby aspirin
nurofen
baby nurofen
baby cough mixture
liquid skin
tea tree oil
witch hazel
manuka honey cream
shampoo
conditioner
face creams
sun tan lotions
condoms
sterile eye wash
tooth paste
baby toothpaste
tooth brush heads
mouth wash
worming tablets
head lice treatment
head lice comb
cold relief capsules
sore throats sweets
multi vitamins
baby multi vitamins
eye drops
temporary fillings
back pain gel
calamine lotion
antiseptic cream and antibacterial cream
hydrogen peroxide
dry skin cream

any thoughts or suggestions well.
jansman

Post by jansman »

moominmama wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:51 am apologies for delay in replying, been a busy few weeks, and have had IT issues.

as an aside -yes, I am also stocking up on lots of things I think will increase in price, such as tea, coffee beans and wine! I have 48 bottles of wine arriving soon, but storage is getting to be an issue...

this is my current list, but I keep adding to it, and increasing the quantity held, some of it not medicine but I include in medicine/personal care list. it does not include bandages, plasters, etc., as I have a reasonable supply of these and not planning on increasing as we do not use that often in the way that we may need the following and storage space is limited
hayfever tables
aspirin
baby aspirin
nurofen
baby nurofen
baby cough mixture
liquid skin
tea tree oil
witch hazel
manuka honey cream
shampoo
conditioner
face creams
sun tan lotions
condoms
sterile eye wash
tooth paste
baby toothpaste
tooth brush heads
mouth wash
worming tablets
head lice treatment
head lice comb
cold relief capsules
sore throats sweets
multi vitamins
baby multi vitamins
eye drops
temporary fillings
back pain gel
calamine lotion
hydrogen peroxide
dry skin cream

any thoughts or suggestions well.
That is rather a sensible list.I think we may use some of that if we may?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
moominmama

Post by moominmama »

hi,

i am very happy if it is of any help, however i forgot to include imodium/diarrhoea relief tablets and recovery electrolytes/Dioralyte and hand sanitiser liquid, so the complete list is

imodium/diarrhoea relief tablets
recovery electrolytes/Dioralyte
hand sanitiser liquid
hayfever tables
aspirin
baby aspirin
nurofen
baby nurofen
baby cough mixture
liquid skin
tea tree oil
witch hazel
manuka honey cream
shampoo
conditioner
face creams
sun tan lotions
condoms
sterile eye wash
tooth paste
baby toothpaste
tooth brush heads
mouth wash
worming tablets
head lice treatment
head lice comb
cold relief capsules
sore throats sweets
multi vitamins
baby multi vitamins
eye drops
temporary fillings
back pain gel
calamine lotion
hydrogen peroxide
dry skin cream

i would say that these are things most people would have considered apart from worming tablets (for humans!), anyone with children or exposed to children should consider these - quite common to have out breaks in schools, etc. and have been advised that a heavy parasite load can seriously negatively impact on health, and that the whole family should be treated at once.

so many things to think about....and space is always an issue.