Spectacles

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Deeps

Re: Spectacles

Post by Deeps »

I'm another old long sighted git, need glasses for close up stuff. I have loads of cheap pairs dotted around the place and also a pair in my main jacket pocket. If I needed them all the time I would probably spend a bit more money but for reading a label or reading on the bog they're fine.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Traditionally short-sighted with a whopping astigmatism I have been getting long-sighted as I've got older so am now, technically only a little short-sighted. But still with the whopping astigmatism. I have to take my glasses off to eat otherwise the plate is all fuzzy, and put 2.5+ prescription reading glasses on to read! And I have special midway glasses for the computer. I've also taken to having magnifying glasses dotted around the place in order to read the back of packets when I can't find my prescription reading glasses. Whilst I can get away with cheap reading glasses, the astigmatism means I quickly get a headache if it's not corrected. Sometimes it just feels like I can't see anything! When I get new glasses (both reading and distance) the old pair go in the car as spares for driving and map reading. I normally have two pairs of distance glasses made every time I get a new prescription so I have a spare. Plus prescription sunglasses. You can never have too many pairs of glasses and magnifiers!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

I used to take the mick out of my late dad when he got his magnifying glass out to read silver hallmarks. Now I own, and use, that very same glass! :lol: I also have a magnifying glass affair on a stand too, which I use for tying fishing rigs and hooklengths.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:I used to take the mick out of my late dad when he got his magnifying glass out to read silver hallmarks. Now I own, and use, that very same glass! :lol: I also have a magnifying glass affair on a stand too, which I use for tying fishing rigs and hooklengths.
Guilty :oops: :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Phew, I'm not at the magnifying glass stage..... yet. I have set my laptop settings to 125% on the zoom setting for bigger writing so I guess the magnifying glass will be in the post.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I wear specs daily, and contacts for going out. I don't have spares 'cos the cost of my specs is *eye-watering*. I do have spare contacts of course, but even then, my eyes are at an 'in-between' stage according to my optician, so they are not perfect.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Forgot to say, when clearing out my Mum's stuff I found some fabulous clip on magnifying lenses that clip on over your normal reading glasses for that hands free extra magnification. They look ridiculous and are so heavy they pull your glasses off your face after a while, but they work blinding! They were invaluable when I was doing my tailoring course, I'd never have threaded needles or been able to do any of the fine stitch-work as I just can't see well enough! I'd recommend them to anyone! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:Forgot to say, when clearing out my Mum's stuff I found some fabulous clip on magnifying lenses that clip on over your normal reading glasses for that hands free extra magnification. They look ridiculous and are so heavy they pull your glasses off your face after a while, but they work blinding! They were invaluable when I was doing my tailoring course, I'd never have threaded needles or been able to do any of the fine stitch-work as I just can't see well enough! I'd recommend them to anyone! :D
Are you being 'street' or just punning us on a thread about vision. :lol:

Kudos either way. ;)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Specsavers 2 for 1 for me

Spare lenses, screws and mini screwdriver kept in an altoid tin.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I've got one of those frenzel lens thingies in my wallet, if I forget my glasses I always have my wallet.