Boats/sailing

Logistics and Transport
Ady-:)

Boats/sailing

Post by Ady-:) »

On my previous post there is alot of talk about boats being used for travel and bug outs. I thought I'd start a new thread on boats.

So my thoughts were

Would you feel guilty liberating a boat if the situation called for it?

What type of boat? A sailing boat needs some skill, a power boat can be operated with little knowledge.

Where would you go? Stay offshore a little and keep an eye on events or go far out to sea or even another continent.

I'm lucky enough to have learnt to sail, but would joining forces with someone that has knowledge be dangerous or advantages?
Deeps

Re: Boats/sailing

Post by Deeps »

I have sailed but I'd hardly call myself a sailor (despite being a matelot for several years). One of my potential issues is having to cross a couple miles of water if a large bridge is out of action and there is a marina on one side (boats on both sides but I'm more worried about getting home than going the other way). For obvious reasons these places are fairly secure and I'm not exactly the ninja I was so my problem is once I get passed the fences I'd need to have the savvy to pick out boat and get it across those couple of miles, fair weather I could probably do it by rowing a RIB if i had to, if the weather was a bit crappy I'd be a bit more fearful, it if it all goes tits up out on the oggin then you're really screwed.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I'd have no problems "liberating" a boat if the SHTF, half of them are never used anyway. Personally I'd go for something around 30/40 foot maybe, sail and a small engine. Thats small enough to manage on your own, and hide, but big enough to be good to France or Ireland, or rough seas.
I'd be tempted by the Scottish islands, theres a few uninhabited, some have wells too.
I'm lucky really, I grew up on the coast in a family that always had boats of one sort or another, so sailing etc is easy enough for me.
Mick104

Post by Mick104 »

sniper 55 wrote: but big enough to be good to France or Ireland, or rough seas.
I'd be tempted by the Scottish islands
I am interested to know what type of SHTF scenario would have you looking at Ireland or France for refuge . If the UK goes down big time Ireland & France go with her .
I'am a keen sailor and I can tell you preparing a boat with provisions and fresh water for a long trip takes time and a good supermarket, in an emergency situation time is a commodity you will not have much of and the supermarket will be looted whilst you draw up yer shopping list .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Mick104 wrote:
I am interested to know what type of SHTF scenario would have you looking at Ireland or France for refuge . If the UK goes down big time Ireland & France go with her .
I'am a keen sailor and I can tell you preparing a boat with provisions and fresh water for a long trip takes time and a good supermarket, in an emergency situation time is a commodity you will not have much of and the supermarket will be looted whilst you draw up yer shopping list .
As a keen sailor, you'll realise that its right up there with some of the more extreme options that some consider. Popping into a Mirror and going for it never mind single handedly sorting a 4 berth will be a cinch, like driving a car for the first time, just with the safety net of that big briny thing.....
What can possibly go wrong.
the cat in the hat

Post by the cat in the hat »

sniper 55 wrote:I'd have no problems "liberating" a boat if the SHTF, half of them are never used anyway. Personally I'd go for something around 30/40 foot maybe, sail and a small engine. Thats small enough to manage on your own, and hide, but big enough to be good to France or Ireland, or rough seas.
I'd be tempted by the Scottish islands, theres a few uninhabited, some have wells too.
I'm lucky really, I grew up on the coast in a family that always had boats of one sort or another, so sailing etc is easy enough for me.

I lived on a inner Herbridean Island with a population on just over 100 and they dont like in comers so pick a secluded one. I was there when all the riots kicked off and it was a nice feeling being so isolated. There was a storm though during the winter that knocked the electricity off for 2 weeks and that was very eye opening experience because you were stuck on the island, no one was able to get on or off and if you dont have what you need you are screwed, it was my first year living there and I did not feel propery prepped. Also the electric ran the heating in the cottage I lived in so it was a miserable two weeks, I had not put in a woodburner but did shortly after. That is why I put a woodburner in the truck as you can always get wood
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Living in central England and not too far from the canal network I "could" have access to barges and a whole marina off smaller craft assuming no one objected. Whether either would make a decent choice of bug out is probably moot . As far as I know it is possible to eventually reach the sea but it would be a arduous, long and slow process.
On the other side off the coin my father in law has a boat moored in wales which has both sails and motor and is perfectly capable of going to sea. Indeed when his other daughter got marrried in Inverness he sailed at her than drive . However , he doesn't live on the boat permanently and getting to it may be a problem as well as someone else deciding to liberate an empty boat.
However , in the main I more agree with mike , it really is hard to envisage a scenario that forces us out of the British mainland but leaves Ireland and continental Europe untouched.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Mick104 wrote:
Being honest France or Ireland wouldn't be on my list, I just mentioned them because they are easy enough to reach in a small boat, and you could go overland from France.
Doing a runner I'd probably head North, Scotland way, or down the med, depending on what I'm legging it from... ;)
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Deeps wrote:
Mick104 wrote:
As a keen sailor, you'll realise that its right up there with some of the more extreme options that some consider. Popping into a Mirror and going for it never mind single handedly sorting a 4 berth will be a cinch, like driving a car for the first time, just with the safety net of that big briny thing.....
What can possibly go wrong.
Don't knock a mirror dinghy mate. We had a family friend who used to pop over to France in one... From Wales, all 10 foot 6 of it. Mind, he wasn't the full shilling as we say here but he did it loads of times.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:
Don't knock a mirror dinghy mate. We had a family friend who used to pop over to France in one... From Wales, all 10 foot 6 of it. Mind, he wasn't the full shilling as we say here but he did it loads of times.
Not knocking Mirrors, as a kid I had plenty goes in them, I also know how easy they are to 'fall over' if you don't know what you're doing, that was kind of my point. Lots of talk of just 'borrowing' a boat and sailing off into the horizon like its a cake walk.