air rifle chat ( if permissable to mods)

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
preppergb

air rifle chat ( if permissable to mods)

Post by preppergb »

(please mods delete this post if it breaches forum rules, no disrespect is intended ) I was wondering if other members owned an air rifle and what make or type it is OR what they recommend if reluctant to chat about such things. ( I fully understand peoples concerns about privacy. I'm trying to decide for myself which air rifle to buy since my old Webley Vulcan recently pegged out. can we chat about this? Again if its against the rules please delete this post.
Thanks
PGB
jansman

Re: air rifle chat ( if permissable to mods)

Post by jansman »

As long as its kept legal,then no problem. The Vulcan was a fine air rifle.I shot many rabbits with one back in the day.There are members here who are far more qualified to comment than me though.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

If you want a pcp then there's loads to choose from, I personally like the BSA ultra, reasonably priced, well made and a cracking gun.

If you like springers then in my opinion the two best are the weirauch hw97 and the air arms tx200, both fantastic rifles, although far from cheap. I have a weirauch hw97kt as I prefer the loading port to that on the air arms, but it is very very heavy, so if you like the look of that one then make sure you put your hands on a real one before buying as it might not be for you.
Either will be accurate enough that no one short of an Olympic gold medallist will be able to blame a miss on the gun.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
unsure

Post by unsure »

i currently own 3 rifles , none expensive to buy , 2 co2 and a springer .
the springer is a westlake b2 in 22 . cheap as chips but enuff to drop a pigeon .
a smk xs 79 , co2 ,in 22 , again enuff to drop a rabbit . simple to repair and tuned it can cover over the legal limit , if your not carefull
the newest one was a gift from my wife , a sig saur mcx , in 177 with a 30 round semi auto magazine .

these can be classed as back garden plinkers compare to some on the market , but if you don`t want to spend a fortune , then any of these will do .

thats just my opinion .

sorry edited
Last edited by unsure on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
jansman

Post by jansman »

Let's make sure we discuss air rifles that are tuned to the legal limit and no more.Thank you.

Robert Frost.

Me.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

We originally had a Sharp Innova pump up air rifle, legal 12 ft pound, we loved it because three strokes on the pump and it was charged and it only weighed 3 1/2 pounds. Then the Vulcan which was good but heavy. After that things have been progressively harder to achieve because modern air rifles are getting heavier and heavier. We like simple single shot SMALL and Light guns like the BSA Ultra at 5.7 pounds . We have seen the new Edgun Leshiy folding UK legal carbine, its only 3 pounds but its over £1000 so its way out of our budget. A friend suggests looking at the UK made Gun power range as a possible alternative.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I think you should get yourselves to a gun shop, the choice is bewildering and it can be a very tactile thing, we have a couple of BSA's ( springers), an SMK CO2 thing and a Chinese side lever cheapo trago mills special, and a few pistols, but we only target shoot, We'd have more but we keep finding more guzbangs to add to the collection, remember rule number one - you cannot have too many guns or guitars, or sharp things ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Air rifle.
Plenty out their. My considerations would be in no particular order.
Build quality, not looks so much ie highly polished blued steel ,walnut but good and solid good design to give reliability longevity
Spares are available and simply hopefully to 're seal so on with basic minimal tool or knowledge
A common air rifle ,in times of scavenging you may drop on another if not working then just for spares.
All round ability accuracy handling , output.
Spring powered for me
jansman

Post by jansman »

I'll second a springer.Tough as they come.I still have a German Original 45 that I bought when I was 16 ( long time ago!) and it is as good as the day I bought it,if a little battered.I have shot literally hundreds of rabbits,pigeons and pheasants with that gun.I have it oiled up and stored, along with a boxful of .22 slugs.Just in case I ever need it for filling the pantry again.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Casso

Post by Casso »

If you want to be particularly tacti-cool, you could grab a Sig Sauer MPX or MCX .177!

I believe they’re bringing out more variants soon that pack more punch, but for now they average at about 450 - 500 FPS / shot.