What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
ChefSimon

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by ChefSimon »

Derv wrote:On sunday I found out I have a junior prepper on the way, :D my first, ETA in six months. I'm keeping the mini Derv by my side, so have ordered:

https://jacs-babycarrier.com/products/c ... te-package
Congratulations! pleased for you.

For me, well I got to use my Car Emergency Kit in anger for the first time. It worked, with no issues.

The wife surprised me with a trip to Edinburgh for my birthday. Woke up Tuesday to snow (yeah the weathermen actually got it right) had breakfast and hit the road early. Anyway, didn't leave early enough and got snowed in with traffic grinding to a halt.

Broke out the supplies from the boot and much to the wife's surprise had a very comfortable 9.5 hours in the car until we were 'rescued' and got on our way again. Had a Policeman and a Womble comment how prepared we were and comfortable we looked. (I even offered the Policeman a fresh brew) I did end up giving away two emergency blankets to a couple in the car behind who stupidly had nothing but what they were standing up in.

Turned out to be quite romantic sat in the car watching a movie eating a beef ravioli ration pack (American) drinking tea wrapped up in my old army woobie.

So It was brownie points from the wife and she has promised not to complain about 'the bag of cr*p' in the boot anymore.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
Outdoorsy

Post by Outdoorsy »

@ChefSimon - Great example of how being prepared can turn a problematic situation into an enjoyable one!

Yesterday my 20L metal jerry can arrived, so it was a quick trip to the local gas station to get it filled up and stored safely in the garage, ready for the next fuel crisis. Plan on refilling the can every 6 months to keep it fresh.

Only 3 weeks until our first junior prepper is due to arrive so I’ve got the car seat, buggy, cot and nappies etc sorted. Now I just need to stock up on sleep... :shock:
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Outdoorsy wrote:@ChefSimon - Great example of how being prepared can turn a problematic situation into an enjoyable one!

Yesterday my 20L metal jerry can arrived, so it was a quick trip to the local gas station to get it filled up and stored safely in the garage, ready for the next fuel crisis. Plan on refilling the can every 6 months to keep it fresh.

Only 3 weeks until our first junior prepper is due to arrive so I’ve got the car seat, buggy, cot and nappies etc sorted. Now I just need to stock up on sleep... :shock:

Good luck mate, you might catch up on sleep in a decade or so, lol

congrats.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

ChefSimon wrote:
For me, well I got to use my Car Emergency Kit in anger for the first time. It worked, with no issues.

The wife surprised me with a trip to Edinburgh for my birthday. Woke up Tuesday to snow (yeah the weathermen actually got it right) had breakfast and hit the road early. Anyway, didn't leave early enough and got snowed in with traffic grinding to a halt.

Broke out the supplies from the boot and much to the wife's surprise had a very comfortable 9.5 hours in the car until we were 'rescued' and got on our way again. Had a Policeman and a Womble comment how prepared we were and comfortable we looked. (I even offered the Policeman a fresh brew) I did end up giving away two emergency blankets to a couple in the car behind who stupidly had nothing but what they were standing up in.

Turned out to be quite romantic sat in the car watching a movie eating a beef ravioli ration pack (American) drinking tea wrapped up in my old army woobie.

So It was brownie points from the wife and she has promised not to complain about 'the bag of cr*p' in the boot anymore.

Love a good ending to a story. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Restocked the first aid kits after Mrs Andy poured boiling water over her hand cooking dinner the other night used 2x4" dressings and a cohesive bandage to secure them

Local first aid shop we use for work did me a good price so walked out with 3 4"square cool therm dressings and a gell glove

https://m.firstaid4less.co.uk/?ccv=Y&gc ... l-Dressing

https://m.firstaid4less.co.uk/?ccv=Y&gc ... d-Dressing

Then home bargains for some cohesive bandages which I love as it sticks to itself

Well first aid knowlage ment no lasting damage just a sore hand

Nurse at local hospital told us she should have left my dressings on and we should not have bothered going as they don't have any burns dressings!!!! And she couldn't / wouldn't put the dressing back on. So Mrs Andy left in a sling! And was in agony due to the wind blowing against her skin as we walked back to the car .. It's right what they say minor burns hurt more she was nearly in tears! And she's a cook so used to the odd burn .

Got home and used a wet burn sheet dressing ( none fluffy dressings dipped in water and left over gell,) and bound her hand up to ease the pain
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sorry to hear that, Andy :( you posted late last night, I hope she's feeling better today.

Just popping on to say I used a free £5 from paypal (offered to existing customers only, I think, but I'm not sure) to buy some more gas cartridges for my new little camping stove. So 4 CP250 cartridges cost me a total of £5.18. And it was an old account I'd only recently rediscovered, which had £5 hanging on there, so of the money I *knew* I had, it cost me 18p :mrgreen: With free delivery to a local Sainsbo. Win-win-win.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Congratulations! pleased for you.

So It was brownie points from the wife and she has promised not to complain about 'the bag of cr*p' in the boot anymore.[/quote]

This is a perfect example of preparing!
lsnduck

Post by lsnduck »

I've continued to slowly build my food stock with each weekly shop and have finally located a sensible box for storage. Everything is now recorded, in one place, and has best before dates marked in big characters on it (thank you whoever I picked that tip up from on here).

I also managed to find the time to completely empty the car of detritus and assess the amount of space in the various storage spaces. Now I can start to decide what makes it on the list.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

The Co-Op has Bero plain flour on offer for 50p at the moment. Apparently they got a load in for pancake day and didn't sell it. 3 bags got today, getting some more tomorrow. :D Might be worth checking your local.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Picked up a couple of digital thermometers from Poundland today. I had a bit of a lergy last week and felt rubbish and couldn't find either of my other thermometers anywhere. So I decided to stock up! They were very well hidden in the shop - I expected them to be in the first aid section, but they were in with the baby stuff, dummies and suchlike. I'll try not to lose these ones so they've gone in my recently assembled first aid plastic tub.