What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:
jansman wrote:In about 20 minutes I shall be heading to my favourite fishing lake. I am dressed to survive the cold, literally, and have a stove, food and tea for later. What has this got to do with prepping ? I hear folks ask.

Today will reinforce my unshakable belief that the bugging out idea/fantasy to a clump of woods to live( not 4 hours fishing) is the dumbest thing anyone could do at this time of year!
I couldn't agree more!

There's two inches of lying snow and the temp is -2. As far as I'm concerned you really have to be some kind of special (or called Pseudonym :D) to think it's a good idea.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Horses for courses I guess, and whatever floats your boat ‘n’ all that. An angler nearby was talking to me and commented that it must be rough being homeless in these conditions. Dead right.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Sadly 'dead' can almost be the operative word in some cases.

I've often looked at homelessness and marvelled at the way they adapt and survive, especially at this time of year and in this type of weather.

I've heard of homeless people caching cooking utensils and heavier bedding during the day to allow them freedom of movement to do whatever they do during the day.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Got myself a thundervolt zapper and a contact rife machine on order to assist with current and future health issues.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
jansman

Post by jansman »

Captain Darling wrote:Sadly 'dead' can almost be the operative word in some cases.

I've often looked at homelessness and marvelled at the way they adapt and survive, especially at this time of year and in this type of weather.

I've heard of homeless people caching cooking utensils and heavier bedding during the day to allow them freedom of movement to do whatever they do during the day.
True indeed. My daughter and I attended the council funeral of a young homeless woman recently.Daughter works near to where this young lady ' resided' as it were,and helped her out with clothing,food and sanitary products.We were the only ones there.Sad.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: True indeed. My daughter and I attended the council funeral of a young homeless woman recently.Daughter works near to where this young lady ' resided' as it were,and helped her out with clothing,food and sanitary products.We were the only ones there.Sad.
That's tragic. I'm in no way religious so the whole 'what happens next' is irrelevant to me but that she had nobody NOW is a damning of our society in a lot of ways. Saying that, they can put me out in the bin when I'm gone, I doubt my innards would be worth harvesting.
lsnduck

Post by lsnduck »

I have my first items for my food stock (mmm, corned beef on special offer) and added them to my stock tracking spreadsheet. Unfortunately, my wife has purloined the box I was going to use for storage and I discovered that the place I thought was big enough to put the box is actually a bit too full of other things. Oh well, solvable problems.
Outdoorsy

Post by Outdoorsy »

Well I've finally sorted my water containers - 2 x 25L. Washed out with Milton fluid and added a capful in each, then covered in black rubble sacks to keep the light out (thanks to this forum for the tips). Next big thing I'm prepping for, is the birth of our first child - due to arrive in less than 6 weeks :shock: I'm not sure it's possible to fully prepare for that.. Getting as much sleep as I can :lol:
jeebus

Post by jeebus »

I've placed my first ever order for the new allotment... some seed potatoes. I've been saving egg boxes for a while so when they arrive I can chit them in the spare room until the weather is suitable for planting. I'm looking forward to spending many hours at the allotment this year.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

jeebus wrote:I've placed my first ever order for the new allotment... some seed potatoes. I've been saving egg boxes for a while so when they arrive I can chit them in the spare room until the weather is suitable for planting. I'm looking forward to spending many hours at the allotment this year.
Some of my wife's mates have an allotment, they absolutely love it not just for the food but for the peacefulness and community spirit.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well the boiler has decided to no longer provide hot water apparently hot water isn't essential so not a emergency call out as we can boil a kettle....

According to HRH at the local council housing So someone will come out on Monday

Well the big storm kettle boils water about 3:2 rate Vs the electric kettle I'm making do with" Luke warm" showers and the Mrs / kids very shallow baths with a storm kettle / electric kettle fill

fortunately the little me still has his baby bath so he's fine. That and we can go to relatives if we need to but that means a 2 minute task would take about 45min I'll stick to a warm bathroom and a cool shower ;)

If I could be bothered I could put a big hook into the ceiling over the bath and get the solar 20l camping shower filled with hot water via kettles and have a hot one but meh ;)

And the dishwasher is cold fill so no worries about washing up ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine