Getting your ham radio license

itsybitsy

Re: Getting your ham radio license

Post by itsybitsy »

QUAID wrote:Not wasting my time with a Radio License and its 'regulated' test!
If the SHTF i will have no worries about transmitting.
Well aren't you a ray of sunshine... :roll: Please don't be so disparaging of members' endeavours.
Appin

Post by Appin »

Operating a radio is a skill. Regular use of that skill means you can get results when you might not otherwise. so getting a ham licence and practising before the SHTF means you will be proficient and possibly have the ability to overcome difficulties. Simply switching on a transmitter and thinking you will be effective without either training or practice is optimistic. Preparation means more than just buying the kit. So well done all those who get he qualification. i did the Bath based course and they are incredibly helpful.

Appin
Derv

Post by Derv »

Appin wrote:Operating a radio is a skill. Regular use of that skill means you can get results when you might not otherwise. so getting a ham licence and practising before the SHTF means you will be proficient and possibly have the ability to overcome difficulties. Simply switching on a transmitter and thinking you will be effective without either training or practice is optimistic. Preparation means more than just buying the kit. So well done all those who get he qualification. i did the Bath based course and they are incredibly helpful.

Appin
+1 for this. Practicing your craft pre SHTF is worth its weight in gold.

When did you do the Bath course Appin? Ive done all of my training there, may have been sat next to you :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guinness drinker with a prepping problem.
Area 1, Wiltshire.
Appin

Post by Appin »

I did the distance learning course. They use the Edmodo site to provide the classroom. There are a group of amazingly good tutors who deal with you personally and give support.

It is tough. I did physics to A level and it pushed me even further. Worth it though and their pass rate is phenomenal.

Regards
Appin
Derv

Post by Derv »

Appin wrote:I did the distance learning course. They use the Edmodo site to provide the classroom. There are a group of amazingly good tutors who deal with you personally and give support.

It is tough. I did physics to A level and it pushed me even further. Worth it though and their pass rate is phenomenal.

Regards
Appin
Yeah I can't fault them at all, they are very dedicated and talented mentors. Good guys just to chat to too.

I'm just finishing off my intermediate in the classroom with them now, then if I pass :? Home circumstances have dictated that I do the advanced distance learning.
Area 1, Wiltshire.
Derv

Post by Derv »

Appin wrote:I did the distance learning course. They use the Edmodo site to provide the classroom. There are a group of amazingly good tutors who deal with you personally and give support.

Regards
Appin
If you are in the area Appin and feel like a chat on the radio, I'm toying with trying to get a prep net going, either hf, 2m or on the cb...
Area 1, Wiltshire.
seadog

Post by seadog »

Doing my Intermediate exam on the 17th, then same as Derry, have already enroled in the Bath Distance learning group.
Got the grey matter turning over again - been a while since I used it!
Derv

Post by Derv »

seadog wrote:Doing my Intermediate exam on the 17th, then same as Derry, have already enroled in the Bath Distance learning group.
Got the grey matter turning over again - been a while since I used it!
If you are doing the exam in Bath, see you there!
Area 1, Wiltshire.