What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
pseudonym

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by pseudonym »

Titanium Stove:

regretted selling my other one so........... :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Not me but persuaded my parents to order a Berkey filter to replace their tiny filter jug. Apparently the filters that should last them a month generally last them 7-10 days so I showed them the Berkey & they were sold.

Would love one myself but just don't have the room in our tiny kitchen ATM :-(
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

This past weekend we've been improving the outside security of the property.

We have installed a 4 camera IR system, raised the fence height in one area with a trellis and installed some "rusty old nail" spikes on another section.

The cameras work great but could do with a bit of IR floodlight improvement to help expose a couple of blind spots in the dark, so will order a couple of cheap IR floods that should do the job. (About another £30 or so?)

Crawling about in the attic running the cables was a dusty, hot job, but the end result was well worth the effort. Watching the night time activities going on around the place is really addictive, better than TV and we have even downloaded the apps onto our phones so we can check "live" coverage from anywhere. For a little over £75 including the 32GB hard drive/recorder I am pretty happy. (Plus @ £30 for 2 more IR flood lights, so @ £100 all in)

Might even add a few more cameras to cover the allotment and shed areas, which are around £15 each.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jeebus

Post by jeebus »

Arwen Thebard wrote:This past weekend we've been improving the outside security of the property.
For a little over £75 including the 32GB hard drive/recorder I am pretty happy. (Plus @ £30 for 2 more IR flood lights, so @ £100 all in)

Might even add a few more cameras to cover the allotment and shed areas, which are around £15 each.
Where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking at getting cameras for a while but have been put off by the price of a lot of them.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jeebus wrote:
Arwen Thebard wrote:This past weekend we've been improving the outside security of the property.
For a little over £75 including the 32GB hard drive/recorder I am pretty happy. (Plus @ £30 for 2 more IR flood lights, so @ £100 all in)

Where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking at getting cameras for a while but have been put off by the price of a lot of them.
Ditto. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

All the kit came from different Ebay suppliers, plenty to choose from the comfort of the armchair ;)

Forgot to include the ADSL cable to connect the main box to the internet router if you want to view live action on your smart phone.

SANNCE 4CH 1080N DVR 720P CCTV IR Home Surveillance Security Camera System Night
(Ebay Code 141864437682) £65.99

320 GB HARD DRIVE WESTERN DIGITAL Internal 7200RPM 3.5" SATA WD3200AAKX
(Ebay code 331928714977) £9.98

96 LED Night Vision IR Infrared Illuminator Light Investigation Lamp Floodlight
(Ebay code 263202594055) £16.99 each

FLAT CAT6A S/STP Shielded 500MHz Ethernet LAN Cable RJ45 PS4/XBOX One Wholesale
(Ebay code 262519752019) £4.22 for 5M length
Arwen The Bard

Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"and installed some "rusty old nail" spikes on another section"

Just had a visit from the neighbor complaining and telling me that she is going to report my latest DIY efforts to the local crime prevention officer and the parish council. Unbelievable :twisted:

So I quickly made up a few signs this afternoon to try and cover my backside....

I love a good battle with idiots like this. :D
Optimized-Nails In Fence.jpg
Arwen The Bard

jansman

Post by jansman »

My dad had this. They made him take the nails down. However,he replaced them with plastic spike security strips!- that was OK though,' cos they were 'proper'.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Just had a visit from the neighbor complaining and telling me that she is going to report my latest DIY efforts to the local crime prevention officer and the parish council. Unbelievable :twisted:
On the plus side you have a curtain twitcher who'll keep an eye out whilst you're away :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I find it strange that you can have as much ugly razor/barbed wire as you like, but you can't use broken glass, nails or electric fence on top of a wall (or WHY).

Arwen: If you've got it wired for remote viewing you might as well set it up for remote recording too, the Cloud has to be useful for something ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar