What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Joking aside I've a very small circle I will lend anything to I got fed up of stuff returned broken / damaged/ empty.... From a generator I had years ago borrowed with a full 20l tank drained dry ... Then they got the hump on when I asked for £15 think it was about 85ppl back then Haven't spoken to me since... Another family friend got me to get them a few electrical bits as I got good discount... Guess what I fitted them and I'm still waiting 5+years on so they can swivel (drove past her broken down last winter I kept going)

Top prepping tip never lend anything you can't afford to replace / be without.... And expect to have to go get it back yourself!
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Top prepping tip never lend anything you can't afford to replace / be without.... And expect to have to go get it back yourself!
Our entire "keep ourselves to ourselves" strategy in life long before the label prepper was coined revolved around the certain knowledge that being someone with practical skills and "stuff" the local folk ( who I knew through my family's business) would try to take advantage and that our "stuff" and my time would never be my own, I regret the need to be like it, I really do because i am a social creature and wouldn't mind helping others if there were balance, honesty ( in the way of returning borrowed items at all or in the condition they were lent) and any hope of similar actions being returned, in short the amount of takers forced us into a shell, life was and remains hard enough to get by without carrying those types, it's not about them being poor because we all should try and help those who cannot help themselves, but it is about people who do have both resources and skills using yours whilst being able to afford foreign holidays, or have a hectic ( and expensive) social life.

I'd rather not judge people nor have been made so cynical by encountering so many takers, but I'm not going to be a mug (showing my own Yorkshire origins with that phrase) and neither is Andy :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Yes the cylinder will come back empty - when we collect it at the weekend :twisted: I am a soft touch - but only up to a point. I am realistic enough not to expect the gas replaced and that if I want the fire back the safest way to do that is to collect it as soon as his heating is fixed, supposed to be Friday. i do have 2 mobile heaters, so this was the "spare" or he wouldn't have got it and I never use the electric heater - it's just back up in case my heating system fails :( It never ceases to amaze me how simple everyday mishaps leave people screaming "help", if it had me, I'd have put on more clothes, it's not THAT cold yet! But then I wouldn't need to - I'd be prepared!
Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

Just got hold of my first dehydrator, was half price down from 70 euros. Looking forward to making some jerky this evening!
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I'm looking at winter preps at the moment. I want to put a couple of 2kW convector heaters away and get some wool blankets.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Abagorth wrote:Has anyone used Broad Spectrum Water Mist Fire Extinguishers https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ultrafire-w ... nguishers/ you can use them on A, B, C and F type fires and they are safe on live electrical equipment up to 1000V, and best of all they don't leave a mess.

We are currently switching out our AFFF Foam Spray Fire Extinguishers for them at work
Finally grabbed a picture
IMG_20171012_085629535.jpg

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Joking aside I've a very small circle I will lend anything to I got fed up of stuff returned broken / damaged/ empty.... From a generator I had years ago borrowed with a full 20l tank drained dry ... Then they got the hump on when I asked for £15 think it was about 85ppl back then Haven't spoken to me since... Another family friend got me to get them a few electrical bits as I got good discount... Guess what I fitted them and I'm still waiting 5+years on so they can swivel (drove past her broken down last winter I kept going)

Top prepping tip never lend anything you can't afford to replace / be without.... And expect to have to go get it back yourself!
Tell you what Andy,as a 'Go To' bloke in our neighborhood, I learned quickly not to lend stuff.I had a neighbour,a nice chap,but a real tight wad user.He was,( still is) a chippy.He borrowed a sledgehammer and brought it back in two pieces,shaft snapped! I asked him why he'd not fixed it." Well you are handy enough to do that" was the reply.

Then another neighbour borrowed a staple gun.I did not know he had broken it until I came to use it myself some time after.In that time he borrowed a floating trowel.Now I don't buy crap,and my trowels are all WHS brand.This bloke dropped a concrete block on it and snapped the handle off.Sure,he replaced it - with a cheapo B and Q job!

The only chap I lend stuff to,or borrow from is my elderly retired builder friend. We have been neighbours for thirty years and we know the score.You learn quickly!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've extended the house alarm to my workshop small addition which means if the workshop alarm goes off it also rings the house alarm... More noise the better ;) all for the cost of a small relay and a length of alarm wire ;)

izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Had a clear out and took stuff to the charity shop. More space for USEFUL stuff now. Got some veg seeds in poundstretcher for 20p. Cabbage,toms,peppers, cauli, brusselsprouts,brocolli and rat traps for 69p. Some use by july2018 some by 2019, easy :D
Jay

Post by Jay »

First snow on the mountain tops this week so we switch to winter mode, add the insulation to the chicken coops, goose house and rabbit cages, reconnect battery and UPS system, generator into its winter housing, refit the external pipe insulation, snow shovels out, firewood moved closer to the house, re check the snowed in emergency supplies, change to winter tyres etc. the list goes on, small jobs but they all take time...................may not be prepping for doomsday but without the winter preparations we would be in some serious trouble!!
The more restrictions and prohibitions there are, the poorer the people will be.