What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by jansman »

CraighR wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:Nothing wrong with rat packs, but they weren't really designed to be eaten long term, they're missing some nutrients, they're often high in salt and low in fibre, it's also an expensive way to buy food.
They're certainly worth having, but I personally think it's better to plan your preps around normal food, you can not only get more variety, but you can save some money and have a more balanced diet if you plan it properly.
Ok that makes sense. SO what are the recipes and ways of storing that you guys use? Where do you find them?
I persoanlly do not cook. I have a wife that is awesome in the kitchen and kinda lived on burgers and pizza till I met her.
SO any ideas would be awesome.
If you don't cook,then learn.Survival skills are not just about building bivvies and catching game with nothing but bare hands and a Rambo knife! :lol: My mother taught my brother and I to cook,sew etc.at an early age.As a result I can make a damned good meal from what's in the fridge the day before the weekly shop,along with the store cupboard and what's in the garden.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

Been building my BOB/BIB to a greater extent and added some new toys to it. Picked up a Xiaomi water purity detector, a great device that gives you a reading in PPM of solubles in your water and can also detect heavy metal salts. I would recommend this device as it would be defiantly useful if you had to take water from a lake for example, as although I have a ‘lifestraw’ the straw is not capable of filtering metal salts so you could still fall seriously ill. All you have to do is dip the tip of the pen in the water and you get an instant reading…not bad for 5 quid!

Also picked up more items for my home and EDC first aid kits such as tourniquet, celox, trauma badges etc.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Chemistry wrote:Been building my BOB/BIB to a greater extent and added some new toys to it. Picked up a Xiaomi water purity detector, a great device that gives you a reading in PPM of solubles in your water and can also detect heavy metal salts. I would recommend this device as it would be defiantly useful if you had to take water from a lake for example, as although I have a ‘lifestraw’ the straw is not capable of filtering metal salts so you could still fall seriously ill. All you have to do is dip the tip of the pen in the water and you get an instant reading…not bad for 5 quid!

Also picked up more items for my home and EDC first aid kits such as tourniquet, celox, trauma badges etc.
Which is why I have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquamira-Front ... H348K91FD8

For on the go, I thought it more important to have something to remove chemical contaminants than pathological and then if really necessary, I could add some water purification tablets. It filters over a 100 litres which is fine as this would only be a temporary solution.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

They are very good, thats why I also carry a Lifestraw :)

Problem is they only filter non-solubles that are present in the water. Thats why I bought the little water tester as it can tell you whether there is potentially dangerous solubles which the straw won't be able to filter out.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Chemistry wrote:They are very good, thats why I also carry a Lifestraw :)

Problem is they only filter non-solubles that are present in the water. Thats why I bought the little water tester as it can tell you whether there is potentially dangerous solubles which the straw won't be able to filter out.
Aha! This one DOES as it has a carbon filter too. You don't get as much use out of it and sacrifice a bit of micron size for pathogens, but that's why I carry water purification tablets too. I would rather have chemical contaminants removed.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
Arzosah wrote:Does anybody know whether, if your email gets hacked, attachments to emails are also hacked?
Yes. If they have access to your email they have access to everything connected to your email. All the contents of your email. All the attachments attached to your email. That said, 99.9% of the time all they're actually doing is using your login credentials to send spam and phishing emails, rather than sifting through your correspondence with your mother-in-law. But just so as you're aware, yes, they do have access to your attachments. It's just one reason why you should never, for example, send passwords in plain text via email. One option is to encrypt the document so it's unreadable to anyone who nabs it. Just so you're also aware, the folks who work for your email provider also have access to your email too...not saying they read your emails, but at least some of them do have the keys to the castle which means they can read your emails and your attachments. I could when it was my job. I didn't (unless requested to by The Powers That Be, but don't get me onto that bit of legislation!) as that would be unprofessional. But I could. Just so you know.
Thanks for that - I'd hoped not, it would be another simple backup, but isolated means are obviously the best way to go - flash drive and blank CD.
The only time I'm going to use cloud backup, by the way, is for my genealogy files, and even for those I've got a cut off date, nothing after 1945 is going to go on there. If anyone gets a kick out of seeing birth certificates from the 1920s, they can go at it :mrgreen:
peejay

Post by peejay »

I've had a Lil Larry torch in one of my wish lists for a while now. Whilst we're away on a caravan break I happened upon a shop selling them for £9 - cheaper than I'd seen elsewhere so bought one. Liked it so much I popped back for 2 more! So that's one for the caravan, one for the car & one for home.

My torch obsession is doing nicely thankyouverymuch! ;-)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote:I've had a Lil Larry torch in one of my wish lists for a while now. Whilst we're away on a caravan break I happened upon a shop selling them for £9 - cheaper than I'd seen elsewhere so bought one. Liked it so much I popped back for 2 more! So that's one for the caravan, one for the car & one for home.

My torch obsession is doing nicely thankyouverymuch! ;-)
You're in good company. :oops:
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I went back to swimming lessons this evening. I had been for about 3 terms and then I did my knee in so it scuppered that for a bit. I was a bit nervous going back, plus I sprained my ankle yesterday ( :roll: ) so I'm a little bit of a wonky donkey at the minute, but not in the way I've been used to! I am determined that I will be swimming before my 40th birthday next year. I was never taught to swim when I was little and only had school swimming lessons from about ages 8-12 - these put me off for a very long time because of the little Hitler teachers who just shouted at me and made me feel bad for being scared of being in water.

I go to lessons specifically for nervous learners and the teacher is very good at going at each individual's pace and finding ways of pushing you to try more without pushing too much if that makes sense. I can highly recommend anyone who has reached adulthood being unable to swim (there's a surprising amount of us!) to investigate lessons. The first step really is getting in that pool!

Swimming is such an important life skill and for all I know, could save my life one day. At the very least, it'll be a new exercise for me to do to keep me fit!
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

Keeping the exercise related theme going for a sec, I tried on my waterproof gear yesterday (to go in my car kit) and the trousers must have shrunk over the summer :shock: I think I'll need to increase the distance on my daily walk and maybe add a little more weight to my pack as well, that should sort it fairly quickly (hopefully)