Car Boot Sale Bargain Hunting

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
CraighR

Re: Car Boot Sale Bargain Hunting

Post by CraighR »

The only stuff I have bought from boot sales was ex army gear.
Got some BDU tops and bottoms. Sleeping bag etc.
Not really seen any preppers stuff that I didn't already have of a better quality.
That said I have seen some amazing stuff so its not out of the question so its all a matter of looking I guess.
Think I might castle combe and give you an answer after I go there next.
Everyman dies, but not everyman truly lives.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Don't forget sites like Gumtree or sphock saves getting out of bed at silly am on a Sunday ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Had some excellent gear from boot sales.
Few weeks back I bought 4 x 6" magmount bases for antennas so239 fitment so great for my sirios.
£1 each brand new never used, took apart checked and tested fine that's just crazy .
I buy quality hand tools too, bought a old rip saw for logs sharp too still.20 p yes 20p
Stubbs and alike files
Barnett crossbow £20 wildcat model
Old whistling kettle
It's the variety at the boot sales I like more than the price.

A silly find that comes to mind was a old wire brush ,never seen one with so many wires and they don't fall out either.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I don't do boot sales these days,a lie in is far more attractive. Back in the day though when I first started this lark,I snagged rope,tarps,tools aplenty,petrol cans,fowl feeders and drinkers.One of the best buys was a set of sweeps brushes for a fiver.I still use them.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I don't go on a regular basis to car boots but I'll visit every so often . I visit charity shops on a far more regular basis but in both cases I've seen bargains and really decent stuff seems to be becoming increasingly harder to find. Charity shops in particular now seem to be more "clued up" as to what they have and choicer items don't end up on the store shelves .
The only niggling problem I have with carboots is that of stolen goods. I'm a member of a Facebook group of tradesmen and we get regular posts of someone having all their tools or vans stolen and also posts of pictures of carboots with piles of tools with no idea how the vendor acquired them. Add that to the stories of fake clothing , perfumes , cds , and dodgy spirits and tobacco and I tend to wear my cynical head when visiting carboots.
General DeGaulle

Post by General DeGaulle »

Here in France Car Boot sales are very popular - and also start at the socially acceptable time of 10.00 not half six in the morning like some UK ones I've been to! Anyway... picked up a load of 'camo' gear for about fifteen quid. Now, when I say camo gear I dont mean 'camo gear' as such - which when the world is getting shaky makes you stick out like a sore thumb anyway. No, I'm on about Plaid shirts in grey, green and brown, tweed trousers, hats in inconspicuous colours, that sort of thing. Stuff which makes you hard to spot, but doesn't draw attention when walking down the street in it.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Flipping the question , does anyone here sell at carboots? We've done in the past and have found that buyers are rarely interested in paying a decent price for decent goods , they all want stuff for next to nothing. Through work I've almost always had all sorts of stuff coming my way be it reclaimed , over ordering or house clearances and a lot has gone to carboots but nowadays we find the returns for the amount of work involved loading and unloading at silly o'clock just aren't worth it so now if we have a pile of stuff it goes as a car boot job lot on eBay .
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I don't go on a regular basis but go every now and then. I've had some good stuff over the years. Got a trolly jack like new for £6 lifts a loaded transit no problem. Biggest miss was a set of night vision goggles £37, I was trying to knock the bloke down to £30 and his missues sold them to someone else, they were working too.... Bugger!

I have sold a few times, my brother went through a tidy up spell, so we'd be out shifting all his junk, but I'm not a fan of sitting in a car park at 5am trying to sell a knackered kids bike if I'm honest.
We'd park in the car park and people would be looking through the car as we were trying to set up FFS, even pulling stuff out. I'm supprised we never got an offer for the steering wheel or the gear lever. Like a swarm of locusts.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I sold at a car boot a while ago when I was having a clear out, went to the biggest one near me which turned out to be a mistake, there's another one where I think I would have done better, most of what I was shifting was books, and a lot of the people that turned up didn't look like they could read, sold some really weird stuff which I had thought was only good for the bin, very strange, takes all sorts though.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

In the early 90's I bought a WW2 pilots sheepskin flying jacket for £25, back then my main interest was WW1 medals but I would buy items to sell on to fund my interest, African tribal axes and clubs for £1.50p each, more recently builders skips have offered up no end of free useful items, what I can use goes on e-bay, dismiss nothing,

happy hunting,
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"