Condor machete part 2

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Citizen H

Condor machete part 2

Post by Citizen H »

so the story so far,

I purchased a blank condor machete and I'm making my own handle,

after a lot of faffing about and being mucked about with empty promises of the use of a table saw,

I decided to cut the recycle axe handle myself with a hack saw, Lesson 1, reusing precut and shaped wood, be wary that it wont be equally shaped and no matter how many times you measure it will be off by a few mm.

after shopping around and again lots of being mucked about, lesson 2, loveless bolts in brass size M5 can not be found, so I'm making my own........

attached is a photo of how things are currently looking.
Attachments
Condor  1.jpg
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
Peppypreppy

Re: Condor machete part 2

Post by Peppypreppy »

How well does it cut? And what's do you personally use it for at the moment? I like the idea of a machete style blade to take down long grass/thicket although this one looks a little on the short side for that kind of use. Nice looking blade though
---PeppyPreppy
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

Hello Peppypreppy,

Condor Blades are highly rated, lots of youtube reviews and very positive at that, I use to carry a Knife and a Axe this serves as a duel purpose its great for battening and the factory edge is perfect, it cost £26.95 I'm enjoying the challenge of making my own handle and learning a lot as I go along, it is well balanced and is good weight, I've not had chance to push it as the handle is only temporally attached, the blade is 10" the standard handle is 6" (mine will be near 7" as way of preference) as this has to fit in my pack the size is perfect for my needs but wont be any good for long grass, I picked mine up from Heinnie Haynes if you opt for one with a handle and scabbard then that's £80, I'm currently modifying a MOD scabbard that was brand new and cost £10, take a look on Heinnie Haynes as they have a few blanks and if your inclined you can save quite a bit by adding your own handle & scabbard,

All the best "H"

Citizen "H"
Citizen H

Replacement handle 1st attempt

Post by Citizen H »

First Attempt at handle making, prior to the big one.... I strongly recommend having a practice piece as its quite easy to lash things up, please note the poor grind on the blade was down to the previous owner,

all the best "H"
Attachments
K3.jpg

Citizen "H"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I can't quite see how the blade in your last picture is ground but to me it looks to be upside down in relation to the handle? I have knives that shape which are used largely on the point and are pulled towards oneself . The point is thus usd pointing downwards but to me the handle looks right to fit in the hand with the closest to the fingers but that puts the point uppermost.
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

Hey Grenfell,

its a bit of an oddity, I've attached a photo inc of the original handle that was way small for my hands, I think your right that the blade is drawn towards yourself when using, it has been harshly ground but as it was a practice piece and didn't cost the earth is not a bad thing. the handle shape is still evolving as I use the knife, I'm still sanding bits off until it gets comfy to use. thanks for the interest, "H"
Attachments
K2.jpg

Citizen "H"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

It's one of those things I like about old tools , sometimes something comes along that has been made or converted for a specific job by a single person . It's perhaps been handled that way to cut on an upstroke and trying to work out just how or on what material and by what sort of person is a great game .
As to the actual work you have done then I'd say there's nothing wrong with it and it's looking very nice. I've handled a few knives myself and often have done it on a re-enactment when one friend who is a blacksmith has made a blade and I've finished it off. I try to use a dense timber , beech ,box or fruit woods always workand look good when oiled. For rivets I very often use copper nails , bog standard things used by roofers and plumbers ( leadworking plumbers) . Cut the head off and they will flare just nicely with a few taps of the hammer to hold .
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

the scales are Oak floorboards all hand cut and sanded, I fixed it in place with some stainless bolts and capped the countersunk nut off with oak dowel, my first attempt but I'm happy with the outcome, all the best "H"

Citizen "H"