Keeping warm without power

Homes and Retreats
jansman

Re: Keeping warm without power

Post by jansman »

I have no clue about bitcoin full stop! :lol: :lol:
Arzosah,the carbon panels work well for us here in our cottage.We have a series of smaller rooms,all with doors.I know that ' doors' may sound daft,but several neighbours have knocked their places about and gone open plan.The panels are great in those smaller enclosed rooms.We bought one to start with,and put it in our bedroom.It worked a treat! Put a timer on the plug and it goes on and off when needed.We then rolled 'em out to the rest of the house. Hope that helps.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks jansman! It's basically a really, really efficient heater powered by leccy ... The stats I found were impressive. Amazing how tech moves on, and we have a whole new range of heating I've never even heard of :? :oops:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote:Thanks jansman! It's basically a really, really efficient heater powered by leccy ... The stats I found were impressive. Amazing how tech moves on, and we have a whole new range of heating I've never even heard of :? :oops:
Tech does move on.My plumber,a very intelligent ex Navy chap, was aware of this technology when I told him what I was going to do.He didn't dismiss it to be fair.I found it somewhat ironic that removal of the central heating system was £130,but installation of a whole new system somewhere close to £6000 and then replastering/carpeting/floor boarding/re concreting/decoration/tiling blah blah .was ....well you add it up!

OK We have solid fuel stoves, ( you don't need these panels to back up those stoves!) When you are not lighting up ( breakfast before work?) They are brilliant.The panels, timers ,all worked out at about 600 quid.A tenth of the price of the original quote! And when it goes wrong,each unit is stand alone and replaced by ... Me.No expensive call out charges,sharp intake of breath and a tradesman wetting himself with at excitement as he says," you've had the cowboys in here mate,this'll cost you!" :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

I've got a couple of huge woolly jumpers and scarves that save the day. One interesting thing: a few years ago I was attending a Herbal Medicine workshop in Autumn. I was cold all day. My tutor gave me Angelica tincture. Half an hour later I was taking my jumper OFF as I was too hot! Works a treat.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mad Scientist wrote:I've got a couple of huge woolly jumpers and scarves that save the day. One interesting thing: a few years ago I was attending a Herbal Medicine workshop in Autumn. I was cold all day. My tutor gave me Angelica tincture. Half an hour later I was taking my jumper OFF as I was too hot! Works a treat.
I think we need to wear more clothes,just like our very close ancestors did.Its rather a modern trend to walk round the house half dressed whilstvthe heating is on full bore. :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

Rule in our house is

If your cold put a hat on, if your really cold put a fleece on.

The heating is on 10degrees to stop any pipes from freezing not to keep us warm.

We all spend quite alot of time outside in the elements, so we are not that effected by the cold anyway.

this house is the first I've owned which has central heating anyway, and everything before, was a case of ice on the inside of the windows in winter, in the morning.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:I've got a couple of huge woolly jumpers and scarves that save the day. One interesting thing: a few years ago I was attending a Herbal Medicine workshop in Autumn. I was cold all day. My tutor gave me Angelica tincture. Half an hour later I was taking my jumper OFF as I was too hot! Works a treat.
I think we need to wear more clothes,just like our very close ancestors did.Its rather a modern trend to walk round the house half dressed whilstvthe heating is on full bore. :lol:
I've been a fan of this for years, met up with some old flat mates at the weekend and one of them even mentioned about me not wanting to put the heating on and to put a "**** coat" on. I'm quite hot blooded don't really suffer from the cold that much so its maybe easy for me to come out with this stuff but its always struck me as an 'easy fix' and cheap too.
gamekeeper752 wrote:Rule in our house is

If your cold put a hat on, if your really cold put a fleece on.

The heating is on 10degrees to stop any pipes from freezing not to keep us warm.

We all spend quite alot of time outside in the elements, so we are not that effected by the cold anyway.

this house is the first I've owned which has central heating anyway, and everything before, was a case of ice on the inside of the windows in winter, in the morning.
I grew up in a house built in the 1830's and we were stuck with the old windows, until we got the central heating we had ice on the inside sometimes too. I still mind running down to get dressed in front of the fire in the living room. I'll not call it Halcyon days but it was what it was and I'm none the worse , honest.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

"put your coat on love!"

"Where you taking me?"

"Nowhere I'm off to the pub and I'm turning the heating off!"

;)

I work outside and in winter I walk into a unheated barn and it's "warm"....

I remember as a kid my dad fitting secondary glazing over the single glazed wood frame windows . Think we are breeding a generation of soft kids the 14yo was walking round Whitby in his hoody last weekend . I was melting in shorts and a shirt..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:"put your coat on love!"

"Where you taking me?"

"Nowhere I'm off to the pub and I'm turning the heating off!"

;)

I work outside and in winter I walk into a unheated barn and it's "warm"....

I remember as a kid my dad fitting secondary glazing over the single glazed wood frame windows . Think we are breeding a generation of soft kids the 14yo was walking round Whitby in his hoody last weekend . I was melting in shorts and a shirt..
He might have been having a 'bad hair day', my brother in law used to wear a hoodie or a beany hat if this happened. A big bloody 6'4" stone mason worried about his hair. :lol:
MAiwick

Post by MAiwick »

Since leaving home ten years ago, I've never had central heating. In student digs we were pretty old school and left it off... once left a gammon out in a bowl of water to defrost and it ended up freezing the water. The worst with that kind of cold is not being to dry clothes, and the inevitable cold nose!

More recently, I've had rented places where the heating is economy 7 storage heaters. Rather than wrap my head around using the bloody things, I just didn't put them on. The shower was electric, and I boiled kettles to do the washing up. Becomes normal after a while! I was in a flat though, so was technically leeching heat off the others around me.

In my own flat now, with under-floor heating. Haven't put the underfloors on, but it's keeping the tank of water warm for the taps. Seriously worried about my first bill :D

I struggle with houses where the heating on full blast - start sneezing from the dry atmosphere and resist stripping off so get way too warm!